Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cooling system ultimate mod?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morymob wrote:
I agree, but in the 18 yrs and 5 WBXs, all with correctly operating cooling sys, my greatest problem solver is i run without a pressure system. Never know it was that way if i didn't tell.Gets rid of all those pesky drips, seeps and burst parts, my 1/2 cts.

sorry to be dense, but what do you mean by "run without a pressure system?" Actually, this whole paragraph is a little mysterious to me, but sounds important. I am new to the WBX and don't understand the cooling system very well... yet Wink Any clarification would be greatly appreciated...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
badassdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultimate mod??? Did it! No bleeding necessary. The way the factory should have done it in the first place.

from KEP website "FRONT FILL RADIATOR. If you install a radiator in an aircooled Vanagon, or replace a Waserboxer radiator, I suggest you make it a front fill radiator. The original rear fill system was probably the result of a stubborn sales department and not an engineering decision."

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badassdubs wrote:
ultimate mod??? Did it! No bleeding necessary. The way the factory should have done it in the first place.

from KEP website "FRONT FILL RADIATOR. If you install a radiator in an aircooled Vanagon, or replace a Waserboxer radiator, I suggest you make it a front fill radiator. The original rear fill system was probably the result of a stubborn sales department and not an engineering decision."

It would be helpful if you posted the part number or vehicle that radiator came from. Also if you could elaborate on how you adapted the radiator fan and shroud. Thanks for posting.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: radiator Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Mine is stock system, filled with the libby van bong and no problems since.

if you got a probelm try a pressure test on the system, it may have a leak.
Blue Bay Bus X2! Why make it more complicated then you need! Libby bong no problems ever! Very Happy This is for the rest of us that don't have a boat ramp!
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.

Last edited by joseph928 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
badassdubs wrote:

It would be helpful if you posted the part number or vehicle that radiator came from. Also if you could elaborate on how you adapted the radiator fan and shroud. Thanks for posting.

This page of his build thread explains:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...p;start=40

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me stupid, but I don't see the problem this thread is addressing.

I just park my van ass-end down a boat ramp in idle, fill the coolant bottle and loosen the bleeder bolt on the radiator. I tthink modding the system invites more problems than solution.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a Vacuum lift tool, there are no bleeding issues. Just drive away heat at the heaters too. If you've got air in the cooling system, you have other problems...
Jeff
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher, thanks for the link. Interesting project. mark
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badassdubs wrote:

I like the tanks all being up front, there's some sense to that, I think.

Why not put the coolant filler in one of the rear pillars, higher than the radiator, overflow tank, all of it? Put a flap in those fins or use thumbscrews/a hinge to get quick access to it.

Mine just boiled over after a quick run to the store, warming it so I could bleed it. I R&R'ed the heater box, so I knew there was air to be burped out but I didn't expect all those theatrics. Opened the bleed screw and the tanks seem to have sorted themselves out after I let it run with a couple of nudges to 2000.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced my radiator. I don't have a Libby Bong, but I do have a pressure tester.
I filled the system, pumped up the tester to 10 psi, and bled the air out.
I had to repeat the process a few times, but I got the air out, and have zero issues!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: