Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Don't You Just Hate It When...
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Don't You Just Hate It When... Reply with quote

...you're relaxing at a car show and somebody comes up and says...

"Your Karmann Ghia?"

"Yes"

"Is it for sale"

"NO!"

He hesitates for a moment and walks on.

So what I don't like is that he didn't start a friendly conversation, ask questions about the car, give a little information about what he knows about Ghias. Heck I'll talk all day long about my Ghia if it's a two way conversation. Admittedly the answer would have been the same but the "NO" I delivered would have been..."Sorry, no...with a smile.

I laughed when he had gone, and asked my friends who were sitting around, "did that answer come out a little aggressive?"

"Yep". Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Don't You Just Hate It When... Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
...you're relaxing at a car show and somebody comes up and says...

"Your Karmann Ghia?"

"Yes"

"Is it for sale"

"NO!"

He hesitates for a moment and walks on.

So what I don't like is that he didn't start a friendly conversation, ask questions about the car, give a little information about what he knows about Ghias. Heck I'll talk all day long about my Ghia if it's a two way conversation. Admittedly the answer would have been the same but the "NO" I delivered would have been..."Sorry, no...with a smile.

I laughed when he had gone, and asked my friends who were sitting around, "did that answer come out a little aggressive?"

"Yep". :lol:

When I started working for a new firm - I was 24 - the senior partner gave me two books to read and told me to come and see him after I had done so. It took a weekend. The first book was about looking after myself, healthwise. The title of the second book was, "Why do I feel guilty when I say No?"

The first lesson of the book was that there was no need to feel guilty when we say no to something we don't like, don't want, don't want to do, or whatever.

The second lesson - which I have take to heart as well - was that there was no obligation on me to provide an explanation for my saying no. So the answer stops at no.

Is your car for sale?
No.

Case closed.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Don't You Just Hate It When... Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

The second lesson - which I have take to heart as well - was that there was no obligation on me to provide an explanation for my saying no. So the answer stops at no.

Is your car for sale?
No.

Case closed.

He must have read that second book Chris. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...either that or if you had said Yes or Maybe he would have asked you what you wanted for the car.

I am always amazed by strangers that will ask you what you paid for a car. I was in a gas station once and got so tired of this nonsense that when asked I told the idiot that I paid Nothing and had just stolen the car.

He got the message and walked away.
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
...either that or if you had said Yes or Maybe he would have asked you what you wanted for the car.

I am always amazed by strangers that will ask you what you paid for a car. I was in a gas station once and got so tired of this nonsense that when asked I told the idiot that I paid Nothing and had just stolen the car.

He got the message and walked away.

Very supprisingly, no one around here has ever asked if the car was for sale. Not once in my memory out of the 2 years my brother and I drove it to highschool (he was the oldest by 2 grades) has anyone in my school asked if it was for sale. People also don't come up when I'm filling it up at the pumps Confused . The most exciting thing that happens is someone saying "I had a karamnn ghia" or "nice porsche". I guess I look like a spoiled teenager driving his father's porsche..... or people just really hate the color of my car Laughing
1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my beetle which is my daily drive at the moment I also get 'how much did you pay for it' or 'how much is it worth?' And stangely enough thats the first question they ask and it is a common one!

Depending on how I feel that day I either then ask them how much they paid for their car and how much is it worth now... or I just say I've had her for a long time and she's worth a lot to me!

I like to hear the stories of people who had one and tell me how they rode behind the back seat or loved the heater near their feet or someone who asked if they could just sit in it and smell it (haha - they were very happy it smelt exactly as they remembered).
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've gotten questions/offers several times: How much would you sell it for? We think it's kind of like a strange compliment.

But always after a polite work-up, about how they/their friends had one, etc. Usually wanting to buy one for the wife.

Generally we can send them away by quoting them a price that only a truly insane person would buy a Ghia for: How much money we put into it…

They smile and shuffle on.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was at a car show I would take it as a compliment that someone who is maybe not as familiar with a KG as I am would make an unsolicited offer on my car. If I did this and the owner barked No! at me I would not hesitate for a second before walking on, but maybe if someone was a bit more cool about things it could pique my interest. In Australia we would call this behaviour being a wanker but I guess things are different at car shows in the UK.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Is it for sale?"
Then I say: What do you want to pay?
...... and when I hear the answer, I start laughing out loud Laughing
Always works.
That is.... until the day comes when I get an "offer I can't refuse".... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tisius wrote:

That is.... until the day comes when I get an "offer I can't refuse".... Cool

To be honest that's probably why I bat off the "is it for sale" question aggressively. I don't want to hear an offer I can't refuse. Confused
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The money I could get for my Ghia could not replace the hole in my heart for not being able to drive it and sometimes just sit in my shop and look at it. Shocked
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell them a number & if they want to pay that amount, it's their car now...

I have no sentimental attachment to a mechanical device that can be bought from me by the highest bidder & the offer meets my desired dollar value.

bnc
Ghia Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, you should check out Doug Demuro on Jalopnik if you can. Hes cheeky and arrogant, but really puts into perspective what happens when some one talks to you about a car. He dailyed a Ferrari and hated it, not because of the car, but because of the attention. Granted your car might not be a daily, but he really puts into perspective how he dealt with people.

Some people just don't have manners, some people assume one is wealthy with a nice car. Some people don't have social skills, thats ok, granted its annoying to deal with. Maybe he was just socially awkward, maybe he was going home to tell his significant other that the car she/he made him sell 10 years ago in a simillar condition to yours is no worth 100k, who knows. Im not trying to make excuses but some people are just like that.

I was at a gas station once and some guy in a truck walked up and asked how much? I looked at him with a weird face, and he said how much for dat cah.
I polietly told him it wasn't for sale and it was passed from family. He said,
"but seriously doh, how much?" I told him politely some ridiculous number and he left. Some people just don't get it, and thats fine. In your instance, rudeness can be seen in body language so if the opportunity exists I try to shift to telling them about the samba or something like that.

People will be people, maybe one day they will get it, maybe they wont.
This will likely change tomorrow to something else.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghia Nut wrote:
John, you should check out Doug Demuro on Jalopnik if you can. Hes cheeky and arrogant, but really puts into perspective what happens when some one talks to you about a car. He dailyed a Ferrari and hated it, not because of the car, but because of the attention. Granted your car might not be a daily, but he really puts into perspective how he dealt with people.

Some people just don't have manners, some people assume one is wealthy with a nice car. Some people don't have social skills, thats ok, granted its annoying to deal with. Maybe he was just socially awkward, maybe he was going home to tell his significant other that the car she/he made him sell 10 years ago in a simillar condition to yours is no worth 100k, who knows. Im not trying to make excuses but some people are just like that.

I was at a gas station once and some guy in a truck walked up and asked how much? I looked at him with a weird face, and he said how much for dat cah.
"but seriously doh, how much?" I told him politely some ridiculous number and he left. Some people just don't get it, and thats fine. In your instance, rudeness can be seen in body language so if the opportunity exists I try to shift to telling them about the samba or something like that.

I'm not angry about the approach...if I could've I'd put a Wink in the title line it probably would have better summed up my reaction. It was as much a surprise to me as to the asker of the question, that it came out as it did.

Much to my wife's dismay I've never much been motivated by money. I put the emphasis on the important things in life...like ummm, make your own list. Smile

My wife says when I show her how prices have risen since I bought my Ghia..."What's the point, you'll never sell it" She's right...I'd rather give it away to someone I think deserving of a classic, (fast increasing in value out of reach of many Ghia lovers) than some stranger with a wadge of cash.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Ghia Nut wrote:

I'm not angry about the approach...if I could've I'd put a Wink in the title line it probably would have better summed up my reaction. It was as much a surprise to me as to the asker of the question, that it came out as it did.

Much to my wife's dismay I've never much been motivated by money. I put the emphasis on the important things in life...like ummm, make your own list. Smile

My wife says when I show her how prices have risen since I bought my Ghia..."What's the point, you'll never sell it" She's right...I'd rather give it away to someone I think deserving of a classic, (fast increasing in value out of reach of many Ghia lovers) than some stranger with a wadge of cash.

Hey John, have I told you lately how much I REALLY love your beautiful Karmann Ghia and how often I dream of some day being able to own such a fine example of the marque (despite the fact that unless someone were to give me one, I'll likely never be able to experience lowlight Ghia ownership)?

If I had a car like yours, I would drive it around to all the picturesque places I could find just so that I could create a gallery filled with spectacular photos, each one even more beautiful than the last.
I can just imagine myself pampering the Ghia and fondly remembering both the lovely old woman that originally purchased it and the extremely generous man that sympathetically refreshed it to it's present marvelous condition and then so kindly passed it along gratis to someone he knew would love and cherish it each and every day.

That would be Heaven On Earth, ideed!
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
...I'd rather give it away to someone I think deserving of a classic, (fast increasing in value out of reach of many Ghia lovers) than some stranger with a wadge of cash.

Hey John, have I told you lately how much I REALLY love your beautiful Karmann Ghia and how often I dream of some day being able to own such a fine example of the marque (despite the fact that unless someone were to give me one, I'll likely never be able to experience lowlight Ghia ownership)?

If I had a car like yours, I would drive it around to all the picturesque places I could find just so that I could create a gallery filled with spectacular photos, each one even more beautiful than the last.
I can just imagine myself pampering the Ghia and fondly remembering both the lovely old woman that originally purchased it and the extremely generous man that sympathetically refreshed it to it's present marvelous condition and then so kindly passed it along gratis to someone he knew would love and cherish it each and every day.

That would be Heaven On Earth, ideed!

Congratulations "Coup" you've just gone to the top of the list. Very Happy
I'm not prepared to say at the moment, what list but just that you are top of it. Wink
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know how nice that black lowlight is going to look for all eternity with a mural of John Moxon's smiling face on the hood. Kinda like a Firebird. Shocked Now, if only I had photoshop skills...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
You know how nice that black lowlight is going to look for all eternity with a mural of John Moxon's smiling face on the hood. Kinda like a Firebird. Shocked Now, if only I had photoshop skills...

I think we can all be thankful that you don't. Wink
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate it when I get asked "Oooh…is that a Porsche,..Jaguar? I don't even want to bother telling them its a Karmann Ghia as that wouldn't register..waste of my time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: