Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New CV Newbie. Anything I am missing on installing?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: New CV Newbie. Anything I am missing on installing? Reply with quote

OK, so thorugh all the T1's, T2's, Squarebacks, 914's etc I have never purchased new CV's in my 25 years playing with these cars. The Vanagon needs them. Only one I found was worth keeping as a spare.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I ordered up some Lobro GKN CV's and will install them with the Rockford boots, 12 pt socket bolts and correct washers ( boots, bolts and washers from Scott @ germansupply.com )

Funny, I thought they would look 'new' and 'shiny' and gleam but since these things are made for some extreme life they don't really look like I expected Wink ..

Now, I can just take these out of the box and start pushing the grease into them with the palm of my clean hand I assume ?

I have found a Moly EP grease that I think will do the trick. I will split a tube in half and use half a tube per CV / boot.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't think I'm missing anything but thought I better run it past the 'pros' if they didn't mind offering up a suggestion of what not to do.

Oh, BTW, I notice sometimes that removing CV's from the shafts can sometimes be a simple 'slide off' or a total PITA, big puller and or hammer to get them off. Why is that ? Do the shaft splines get damaged over time or I suspect just worn over time ?

Cheers.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a thread you can learn from:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=605152

I have learned very much from everyone's input.

Cheers...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I am glad I posted the question .... Thx for the related posting...

I always assumed these things were really ready out of the box, but apparently it is not so much. Looks like some polishing and correct setup is on the books. I read the term 'clocked' before but now I understand what it means.

I will have to look into some cleaning up of the hub 'star' portion and make sure they are working properly. This is where

I did notice that they don't move very well out of the box. I figured they just needed a good coating of grease ....

Hmmm, lots of digest now .....
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see if the VW dealer has some decent ones

all or nearly all cars on the road use CV joints and people often run them for 100,000 miles with NO problems (not that such neglect is a good idea)

something stinks about the numerous CV problems we are seeing - and it cannot all be due to cheap grease
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly, these are the first cv's I've ever had that the balls do not lock into the cages with a little give. The balls, except one, just pop out easily.

My local VW dealer buys from the same local places we can 😞
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_16_9/cv_joint_maintenence.html

but also, clock them.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
something stinks about the numerous CV problems we are seeing - and it cannot all be due to cheap grease

I am pretty sold that the problem was lack of sufficient grease and poor quality grease right from the factory which caused accelerated wear when the joints were brand new. I have owned my Multivan since it was new and one other VW since it was almost new. On both of those vehicles the CV's began making noise at very low miles, the problem was that the factory hardly used any grease at all, maybe a fourth of what I normally use when I repack them, and what grease they used didn't flow well and thus the joints were effectively dry. Hard to get them to last a normal 250,000-500,000 miles when they are damaged right off the bat.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Merian wrote:

I am pretty sold that the problem was lack of sufficient grease and poor quality grease right from the factory which caused accelerated wear when the joints were brand new. I have owned my Multivan since it was new and one other VW since it was almost new. On both of those vehicles the CV's began making noise at very low miles, the problem was that the factory hardly used any grease at all, maybe a fourth of what I normally use when I repack them, and what grease they used didn't flow well and thus the joints were effectively dry. Hard to get them to last a normal 250,000-500,000 miles when they are damaged right off the bat.

Agreed.
All my vans that I have owned for many years and have maintained, have original CVs...8 on the Syncros and have been given the highest quality grease.

Still going strong and a few are reaching the 200,000 mile mark with more to go.

Recycled metals and cheap grease = failure in just a few thousand miles.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you two make of the "need" to polish the new ones? some photos do make the surfaces seem abit rough...

I also have to wonder why VW would not put (or spec. that a supplier) put more grease in the CVs when new - grease is cheap & CVs were not new in the 1980s. IIRC, Porsche switched from the old U-joint type design to CVs in the 1960s...
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for bringing this up, I am on the threshold of redoing my CV joints so it is very timely.

My FLAPS will have two tubes of RedLine CV2 grease Monday. Many many threads say this is choice number 1 for CV grease.

I Have new boots but with the boot horror stories of short life I Wonder if I should just run the originals......... but they are aging.
I will probably put on the new ones and keep the best old one as an emergency repair spare.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently using Swepco grease and dig it Wink
CAT Gold is by far the best I have seen to date, awesome stuff Exclamation
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll toss out Valvolene Synpower as another that is often touted for CVs - I really have no idea which super-premium grease is best... Like the man* said "When you measure.. you know..." but I have not seen any testing data.

Swepco is a boutique lubricant co. that sells into the heavy duty market

VC likes the Redline

CAT ought to know what they need

* Lord Kelvin (Billy Thompson)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: