Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What kind of fuel lines should I use
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Beef Gravy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: What kind of fuel lines should I use Reply with quote

Hello again. I am wondering, what kind of fuel lines everyone uses to go from the metal line to the back of the fuel pump and so forth.

I used a small rubber hose that I had but that got ate by the gas. Just curious to see what everyone uses. If you have pics that's a huge bonus. Thanks.
johnR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the fuel hose meets the SAE 30R9 spec. More info here:
http://www.gates.com/oreilly/tech_tips/PermeationResistantFuelLineHose.pdf

Also, try to use the same metric size as original. I ordered from the UK, eg (links chosen by a search on eBay. I did not order from this seller)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-6mm-ID-Fuel-Hose-Line-Ge...25aaa0ac2f
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-3mm-ID-Fuel-Hose-Line-Ge...25a9edc6d5

After finding his listings I remember I ordered from eBay seller volksbolts:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=vol...p;_sacat=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beef Gravy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. thank you!
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take to heart the comments on the Volksbolts link below about not buying generic J30 R9 (or any) hose. I bought some on Ebay (not Volkbolts). Looked great new but it starting falling apart after less than a year. Lots of bogus Chinese hose floating around the web

http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/fuelhose.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beef Gravy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I went to Autozone, big mistake. They also had no idea what points were and i had to use their computer to show them. crazy.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGGED11111 wrote:
Take to heart the comments on the Volksbolts link below about not buying generic J30 R9 (or any) hose. I bought some on Ebay (not Volkbolts). Looked great new but it starting falling apart after less than a year. Lots of bogus Chinese hose floating around the web

Indeed!, this started in 6 months, now I use 1/4" barricade from the FLAPS and squeeze it down with good clamps.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.belmetric.com/

They have ethanol, multi-fuel compatible hose in metric sizes, sold by the meter, ships from MA. Stands up to 150PSI so good for use in FI applications. I have some in my bus. It's German too! Very Happy

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
BUGGED11111 wrote:

Indeed!, this started in 6 months, now I use 1/4" barricade from the FLAPS and squeeze it down with good clamps.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That looks like the same stuff I bought and the same failure. Fool me once

wrocek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGGED11111 wrote:

That looks like the same stuff I bought and the same failure. Fool me once

For the future references...
where should I buy when needed?
NAPA, Autozone, OReilly, Carmax?
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I on EVERYONE"S ignore list or something?

https://www.belmetric.com/metric-hoses-multifuel-hoseethanol-approved-c-14_662.html

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
https://www.belmetric.com/

They have ethanol, multi-fuel compatible hose in metric sizes, sold by the meter, ships from MA. Stands up to 150PSI so good for use in FI applications. I have some in my bus. It's German too! Very Happy

Are you referring to the Flennor? So what do you think about it? How long have you had it on?
I see an old thread but it fizzled out before much feedback
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593649

peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought some Gates 30R14 from NAPA. They didn't have the R9. Hopefully the R14 will be as good or better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just switched all the line in my bus with this stuff (Flennor), but it is at a shop getting all the exhaust/heating systems replaced, so I haven't put any miles on it yet, so I can't speak to how long it lasts. Might pose the question as a follow up in that split thread though...
In comparison I use the regular braided stuff on my bug, and it lasts a long time for me. But I daily drive my bug. Part of the problem is letting these cars sit with ethanol fuel in them, it eats away at the line, invites moisture into the mix, and generally wreaks havoc unless you use Fuel Stabil or some other product to stabilize the ethanol. I've had the same braided fuel line on my bug for about 5-6 years until I installed a new engine with new hose all around about 7K miles ago. I keep the old hose in my spare parts suitcase in the trunk just in case, still flexible and not all dried out after all that time. ( i did replace the hard line to hard line hose by the tranny often, as that is where i have my fuel filter and oftentimes I'd have to cut those off because the cheap plastic fuel filters twist inside the hose).

It can vary from location to location as the additives in fuel are different. People get greatly varied results from the same brand hose, depending on fuels, usage, etc.

asiab3 wrote:

BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the deal is with Oregon gas or maybe it's all the pot smoke in the air but I see deterioration starting after a year on the braided line. I'm going to try the Flennor. I found another thread where someone was recommending it. Worth a shot
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The German OEM fuel hose is Cohline or Continental, and both are still available.

http://www.bughaus.com/beetle12.htm
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green1303 wrote:
The German OEM fuel hose is Cohline or Continental, and both are still available.

Yes it is, but unless you buy guaranteed ethanol free fuel exclusively it'll be weeping from every inch like soaker hose in less than a year in most cases. Nothing gets the blood pumpimg like starting up a car that's been sitting for the winter and having it piss out a gallon or three before you even notice the puddle or trail it's making Shocked Contemplate what would happen if it suddenly started hemmoraging like that while driving?

I've encountered quite a bit of that lately that looks brand new but starts peeing or gets wet as soon as you wiggle it, sometimes it starts squirting out a needle thin stream almost a foot Surprised

I dig originality, but you can't see hose braking down through a braided exterior, and even the best German hose can't stand ethanol, I prefer shiny so I can see when it's getting funky, even better when it's got that bonus blue liner to double up, fires suck.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Mudpump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green1303 wrote:

Buy alot of it. Doesn't last like it used to before ethanol and it isn't rated for ethanol. I just use it in the engine compartment to keep things pretty, I can keep an eye on it and toss it every 10 months. But no way would I use it on the gas tank or under the car. If I had filters in the engine compartment I wouldn't use it at all. I see it getting dried out where it joins a fitting after 6 months
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
green1303 wrote:

Yes it is, but unless you buy guaranteed ethanol free fuel exclusively it'll be weeping from every inch like soaker hose in less than a year in most cases. Nothing gets the blood pumpimg like starting up a car that's been sitting for the winter and having it piss out a gallon or three before you even notice the puddle or trail it's making Shocked Contemplate what would happen if it suddenly started hemmoraging like that while driving?

I've encountered quite a bit of that lately that looks brand new but starts peeing or gets wet as soon as you wiggle it, sometimes it starts squirting out a needle thin stream almost a foot Surprised

I dig originality, but you can't see hose braking down through a braided exterior, and even the best German hose can't stand ethanol, I prefer shiny so I can see when it's getting funky, even better when it's got that bonus blue liner to double up, fires suck.

Yup. Avoid that shit like the plague. I made the mistake of using german fuel line and I ended up dumping my tank on the road because it broke down after 8 months.

Went down to my FLAPS and picked up some double layer FI hose used in modern cars. No issues since.

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
missourimark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Flennor hose from Belmetric on my bug for a year now with no issues.
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comments above were true at one time but may be outdated, depending on which fuel hose you buy. Some of the German Cohline and Continental fuel hose is now rated for use with ethanol up to E10. Just make sure that you buy from a shop that names the brand and addresses this issue, and know that you can't use E15, which is not widely available anyway. The link that I provided above is good in this respect.

http://www.bughaus.com/fuelline.htm

http://www.bughaus.com/fuelline1.htm

I don't mean to reject the other recommendations above, as the most important thing is using a high-quality metric fuel hose that is rated for ethanol.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: