Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 Ghia H4 Headlight issue
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdkee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: 68 Ghia H4 Headlight issue Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've got a '68 Ghia coupe that I did the Hella H4 conversion to about a year ago. All has been well until recently the low beam on the passenger side went out. I've changed the bulb and it still isn't lighting. The high beam functions properly. The driver's side functions properly in both low and high beam.
I pulled the plug on the passenger side headlight bulb and with the switch (turn signal lever) in the low beam position tested the power wire. Testing the power and ground wire by themselves without the bulb I get 12v. With the power wire plugged into the bulb and the ground wire disconnected I get 12v on the bulb's power terminal (again using the ground wire as my ground for the volt meter). When I plug the ground wire into the back of the bulb it immediately looses voltage and the powered terminal drops to 0v (hence there's no light).

Using the same ground wire and with the brights turned on at the turn signal lever the bulb is powered and the brights work.

The fuses are all fine. Any ideas? Thanks all.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marfa61KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how your 68 wiring differs from my 61. Since you get 12V with no load and 0V with load, it appears that you have a very weak connection somewhere in your circuit. You have very high resistance somewhere.

Check your fuses again and perhaps polish up the contacts for the fuse and the fuse holder. Then check your connections on the wiring terminal behind the fuse block.

If you turn on the low beams, you should be able to check for voltage along the path until you find the bad connection. For example, do you have 12V on both sides of the fuse? On the wires going into and out of the fuse block? Into and out of the switch. It should be an easy bit of sleuthing. Follow the wire until you find the 12V!
bdkee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marfa61KG. I'm off to sleuth. I'll post any progress.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bdkee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a genius Marfa61KG!! Some sand paper to the fuses and the panel and "Let there be light"!!

Cheers! That'll make the next beer a lot tastier.

Thanks.

Brian
Marfa61KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Glad that helped. I've had the same problem. I replaced many a good bulb when I first had my Ghia. By the way, I've also got some H4 in my Ghjia. I know the lens is flatter and doesn't look as nice, but the light is incredible and much safer. I'll add relays at the bulbs sometime to get even brighter.

Rob
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add a little dielectric grease to each to the those fuse to fuse box connections to keep oxygen and corrosion away for as long as possible. Same for any 12 volt connection in your wiring.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great article on how to improve the headlight circuit. By adding relays you bypass the voltage drop at the switch. A wonderful mod for any night driving vw's.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Add a little dielectric grease to each to the those fuse to fuse box connections to keep oxygen and corrosion away for as long as possible. Same for any 12 volt connection in your wiring.

Oddly enough, I just had to redo the clean and grease operation on my Ghia.
It lasted 12 years.
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: