Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cmans 1966 square surf ride
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2748photo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nodrenim wrote:
Way to go, Dude, I'm jealous! Just keep it between the ditches, and cherish it forever!

Thanks. We'll keep the rubber side down for sure.
2748photo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcolt45 wrote:
congrats on the new squareback. that is an awesome first car. looks good.

Thank you . It should be fun.
65Nsqback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice... My first car was a 66 square (cal style) and non sunroof your very very lucky on a few levels..I hope Dad got something GREAT for Father's Day 😉 again nice car for sure

I'm Trying to help you.......but you don't hear me...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2748photo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First minor fix.

Airboot put on tonight.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does anyone know where to find a shift knob for '65?

I also found a steering column with the ignition and key together. I was able to extract the ignition. Next step = wiring and making sure it works and then installing it in the column.
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Nice! Reply with quote

That's a great find. Lucky kid. Old enough to work on his first project with pops. I'm in Huntington and I'l be looking out for the kid and his new car. I'm jealous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2748photo wrote:

They appear in the classifieds from time to time.

I see a couple 2-tone knobs there now
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2748photo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
2748photo wrote:

Saw those, but $75 for a shift knob? ouch. I bought one from CIP1 but it doesn't look like it has threads and is bigger than the shifter threads. I am thinking it is 12mm and the shaft is 10mm. As I look around more it seems that 68+ may have a bigger shaft diameter. Does this sound correct?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2748photo wrote:
EverettB wrote:
2748photo wrote:

Saw those, but $75 for a shift knob? ouch. I bought one from CIP1 but it doesn't look like it has threads and is bigger than the shifter threads. I am thinking it is 12mm and the shaft is 10mm. As I look around more it seems that 68+ may have a bigger shaft diameter. Does this sound correct?

Yes, $75 is high.
I would keep an eye out, they pop up for cheaper.
I was surprised there was only one for sale in the classifieds in the USA right now.

You have a '66 though?
You could buy a '66 shift knob (solid black) for far less.

I don't know on the 68+ size myself, hopefully someone else can answer that.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thread size is the same - I had an early 2 tone knob on my 68 - bay window bus is the same size too
NorCalTodd2011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should get the best dad ever award. Damn nice first car.
ISP is the best resource for parts. You are certainly in the best area, So Cal, for parts etc. Type 3's are a bit pricey for pieces so make sure you search and ask folks on this forum for help. Feel free to PM me anytime as I have built a few in my time.
Congrats and have fun. VW people are some of the best car people you will meet.
Cheers
2748photo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Finally got title transferred this weekend after waiting 2 months. The previous owner had the car registered in AZ. He was getting a CA title and trying to get the black plates re-activated. No such luck on the black plates. According to the DMV, the year of the plates don't match the year of the car. I don't know what this has to do with anything but leave it to California DMV to make it difficult. Fortunately, California just started offering new black "legacy" plates. So we ordered these:

Also, had ordered a rack for the top from Pedro Racks. He makes a 4 footer and a 6 footer. I talked him into making a 5 footer which he had previously done before but stopped. The 5 footer works perfectly with the sunroof. My son and I drove 2 hours down on Sunday to pick it up. It is beautiful and perfect for this ride. Pedro is such a cool guy, I wish I had more time to pick his brain and hang out with him on Sunday.

Now that I have the title transferred, we can kick this build into high gear. Found some steel type 3 wheels that I will be picking up this week and starting to work on the ignition switch rebuild. Pedro helped me out with a kev part for the ignition as well. Next few weeks will be spent sourcing a bunch of parts and then the fun begins.
2748photo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, first roadblock of probably many. I am proceeding cautiously because I don't want to screw anything up.

I am trying to wire a stock ignition switch. I have four wires in the current setup and I need to wire three of them. I gave it the first shot and I got the ignition to turn on but it would not fire in the start position.

Here is the current 4 wire setup:

I have a hot wire from the battery. I assume that this goes to position 30 on the new ignition. This was previously wired to a on off switch seen here:

The other side of that switch was going to the fuse block in this position:

I assumed that this was the 15/54 position.

Then I had a momentary push button for the starter here:

I didn't think that I needed the hot wire coming into this once the first switch is thrown to on because in the stock ignition switch it already has power. I don't know where this wire gets it's power from. It leads up under the dash and I haven't fully traced it yet. I will need to in order to disconnect it once I get the stock ignition working.

I took the wire that heads out of the momentary switch to the starter and connected it to the 50 spot on the ignition.

I have 6 volts into position 30 on the ignition at all times, I have 6 volts to 15/54 in the on position.

What have I done wrong? Or is the ignition bad? Thanks guys.[img][/img][img][/img]

Last edited by 2748photo on Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have 6v to terminal 50 when you turn the key to Start AND you keep the 6V on 15 while the starter is operating.

All the ignition switch is doing is connecting 30 (battery power) to 15 when you turn the key on. That powers up the coil and some of the other electrical equipment. When you turn the key to start you're just connecting 30 to 50 which sends battery power to the solenoid to get the starter going. Once the solenoid trips it sends battery power direct from 30 on the solenoid to the starter motor via the big fat cable from the battery.
2748photo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Make sure you have 6v to terminal 50 when you turn the key to Start AND you keep the 6V on 15 while the starter is operating.

All the ignition switch is doing is connecting 30 (battery power) to 15 when you turn the key on. That powers up the coil and some of the other electrical equipment. When you turn the key to start you're just connecting 30 to 50 which sends battery power to the solenoid to get the starter going. Once the solenoid trips it sends battery power direct from 30 on the solenoid to the starter motor via the big fat cable from the battery.

Thanks!! That's what I thought as I was interpreting the wiring diagram. I went back out to measure the terminals again. As I was pushing down on the contacts with the ohm meter in the start position, it started. The brown plate on the ignition switch has some flex in it. I don't know if it is because its damaged or without an end cap on putting pressure. There looks to be some damage where someone tried prying on it in a few spots. See the pics:

Here you can see how the brown plate does not sit flush in the ignition housing. It can be pressed flush but doesn't stay there due to the spring pressure underneath

Any thoughts on how to fix it? Should I take it all apart to try to straighten out. I also have another ignition switch housing without the electrical internals and key switch that I could swap it over to. What do you think the best course of action to fix it would be? Thanks again.
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The housing is crimped in order to hold the plate in place. Probably where it looks like someone pryed on it. Crimp it back with a screwdriver and a few light taps with a hammer. The plate should be fairly locked in when you're done.
2748photo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found some type 3 steel wheels last week. Going to take them for sandblasting and powder coating. Got the Pedro rack installed. Got the gauges out which was a bitch due a poor fitting aftermarket dash pad. Got the dash pad out. Now on to fixing some of the wiring, fuel gauge, etc.

My son doing work.

69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work way to get the kids involved. You have one lucky kid as most adults would love to owner that car. Keep at it it's looking good. Can't go wrong with a Pedro rack. Don't have one for the square back yet but I got a nice Pedro trunk rack for notch.
silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car! Good luck with it!
tim3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same exact car.. i love it.. your son is one lucky kid!! make sure he drives it safe.. i was 15 once and drove my bug like crazy.. they are fun as hell but crunch easy.. i still drive crazy, but all i am saying is make sure he knows these cars are rare and once wrecked are never the same.. plus they dont have airbags.. driven safely and crazy within reason they are downright the best cars on the planet imo.. easy as pie to fix and maintain.. if you have any questions i would be glad to answer them.. email me at [email protected] here are a few pictures of my 66 Sea Sand Squareback..

2748photo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim3 wrote:
i have the same exact car.. i love it.. your son is one lucky kid!! make sure he drives it safe.. i was 15 once and drove my bug like crazy.. they are fun as hell but crunch easy.. i still drive crazy, but all i am saying is make sure he knows these cars are rare and once wrecked are never the same.. plus they dont have airbags.. driven safely and crazy within reason they are downright the best cars on the planet imo.. easy as pie to fix and maintain.. if you have any questions i would be glad to answer them.. email me at [email protected] here are a few pictures of my 66 Sea Sand Squareback..

Thanks Tim.

I have no doubt my son will drive it with care. My older son has been driving for 2 years now without a accident or ticket. I think my younger son will be even safer.

Your square is awesome. Can you tell me how much you have it lowered?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: