Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic transmission issues - Rebuilt
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebennett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Automatic transmission issues - Rebuilt Reply with quote

Posting for a friend. My buddy bought a 1991 Vanagon that only went in reverse. He had the transmission rebuilt at a local "German" auto repair place.

The vanagon will not shift out of 1st gear unless you warm it up for several minutes before driving it. He took it back, they flushed the fluid and said "you might have to do this a few times to sort this issue out. We saved you money by reusing your original torque converter and it probably needs to be flushed" and then they charged him $150 for the flush.

He has flushed the trans 2 more times and the issue still persists. I would have taken the shop to small claims court by now. His enthusiasm for the vanagon has diminished.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charging $150 service to save $ from a $200 replacement part.. 0-o
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He needs to find another mechanic. That one is doing him no favors. It'll cost more money in the short run. But that tranny should be very reliable if rebuilt properly.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have learned the hard way on a different vehicle of mine that replacing the torque converter is a MUST on all transmission rebuilds. The bad torque converter symptoms are similar to slipping clutches in a the trans itself. Torque converter failure is AS common as transmission failure. Saving money on not replacing is bad news!
215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
diogenes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
He needs to find another mechanic. That one is doing him no favors. It'll cost more money in the short run. But that tranny should be very reliable if rebuilt properly.

I'd be questioning that as well at this point. (the reliable part)
The point of rebuilding and maybe I'm confused on this point but isn't it so the thing works properly again?
Sending out a "rebuilt" anything that doesn't work properly isn't "rebuilt" let alone "fixed"
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission issues - Rebuilt Reply with quote

ebennett wrote:
Posting for a friend. My buddy bought a 1991 Vanagon that only went in reverse. He had the transmission rebuilt at a local "German" auto repair place.

The vanagon will not shift out of 1st gear unless you warm it up for several minutes before driving it. He took it back, they flushed the fluid and said "you might have to do this a few times to sort this issue out. We saved you money by reusing your original torque converter and it probably needs to be flushed" and then they charged him $150 for the flush.

He has flushed the trans 2 more times and the issue still persists. I would have taken the shop to small claims court by now. His enthusiasm for the vanagon has diminished.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

See the link and pages 3-4. It is a standard 010 repair manual..even though it says Jetta..same transmission as our Vanagon:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/tchaad/Lost%20Knowledge/at_010.pdf

I doubt it is a torque converter problem..the manual says: Governor drive defective. Governor dirty or improperly assembled during repair. Accumulator cover
plate loose. Valve body assembly dirty. 1st/2nd gear shift valve sticking. Or Sealing balls missing
from transfer plate..or, from my own experience..the ball(s) have worn a groove inside the valve body sealing plate..and shifting start to become sticky;
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Could be the transmission problem..if the valve body was not rebuilt or not done correctly..then those grooves in the sealing plate inside the valve body (like in the picture) will keep the transmission from shifting correctly..it may work when warm as things expand or the fluid becomes thinner.

A rebuilt valve body would be an answer..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: