Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering wheel height/dash visibility options
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Steering wheel height/dash visibility options Reply with quote

Since I may be doing another R&R of my dash (I found a new in the box blower fan in some stuff that came from the PO — after I redid the heater box) to replace the blower fan and and track down a couple of other gremlins, are there any options to gain some instrument visibility?

This is what I get:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The column is at the stock location, not lowered as I had suspected (van was redone for a diminutive person and I thought perhaps the wheel had been lowered for her). So raising it seems unpossible. I have tried all the adjustments I can find in the seats but they have no height adjustment, just F<->R travel and recline, none of which seem to do very much. I'm not a recliner by nature so that doesn't feel right.

It's not a huge deal. My driving habit of many years is to scan the gauges periodically and it's distracting/disruptive to look down and not see them.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larger dia. wheel

not much in the way of gauges to see anyway tho - just drive until a buzzer goes off, then grab the fire extinguisher and run
syncroluvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago someone asked the same question. I think Dylan suggested lossening the 4 retention bolts and lifting it a it higher, maybe try a search?

Y2K V6 Passat

Calcandi Leviter
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the drivers seat have a swivel base? Do you use it? If yes and no, remove it to lower the seat 1 inch.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swapping to a larger steering wheel from a bus without power steering worked for me.
idahoskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a smaller diameter wheel so my needs will not be the same as yours. I was able to gain visibility of the part of the gauges I needed by lowering the column and raising the instrument cluster. I built a spacer that sits under the cluster and raises the leading edge about 3/4". It works for me and no one can even tell there is a spacer in there. I think it may be possible to lower the cluster a bit if you only need a small amount but it depends on how much you want to mess with it. Cheers!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was Paul here with the same question (inpart) a few weeks ago..
apparently hasn't come to a satisfactory conclusion yet.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=632869&highlight=

syncroluvr wrote:
A couple of weeks ago someone asked the same question. I think Dylan suggested lossening the 4 retention bolts and lifting it a it higher, maybe try a search?

my take. we remove the DS swivel and use the oem pass van rails.. but many may not have the stomach to take a grinder to their vans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idahoskier wrote:
I was able to gain visibility of the part of the gauges I needed by lowering the column and raising the instrument cluster. I built a spacer that sits under the cluster and raises the leading edge about 3/4". It works for me and no one can even tell there is a spacer in there. I think it may be possible to lower the cluster a bit if you only need a small amount but it depends on how much you want to mess with it.

This is where I may be heading with this. A couple of longer screws up front and some kind of easily worked material is all it would take.

When you say lifting "it" a little higher, what it is intended? The column can't go higher. Do you mean extending the column/raising or lowering the wheel?

I realize the gauges don't say much but again, if you're in the habit of periodically scanning them as you drive — I still check my mirrors when I know there is no one there from the last time I looked because habits/muscle memory are a thing — learning to ignore them isn't a solution.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After your recent dash project, make sure you've pulled the steering column
back to it's full length before bolting in place...there is some play at the rubber
coupler near the floor and it tends to lose altitude while unbolted. I noticed the
same issue after my first dash job and this is where I found the problem.

Good luck!

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After installing non original VW seats, I experienced the same problem. But as I was going to build a tilt steering system, I added 1 inch to the column length. Solved the visibility problem.

Not suggesting you'd need to or want to make a tilt steering mechanism, but perhaps you can add 1" somewhere in the steering shaft.

Tilt steering here:
http://www.griffco.ca/interest/vw/steer.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncroluvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
we remove the DS swivel and use the oem pass van rails.. but many may not have the stomach to take a grinder to their vans.

This sounds good, what would need to be ground out?

Y2K V6 Passat

Calcandi Leviter
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
After your recent dash project, make sure you've pulled the steering column back to it's full length before bolting in place...there is some play at the rubber coupler near the floor and it tends to lose altitude while unbolted. I noticed the same issue after my first dash job and this is where I found the problem.

Mine is the same as it was before I R&R'ed the dash or near enough to make no difference. I remember wrestling a bit with that assembly…something to look at. I won't expect Bentley to have a factory distance measurement from firewall(?) to wheel.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to do the opposite of this, but involves a grinder that can ignite carpet and impregnate glass.

add in that the swivel bases (all 3 pieces) are of value (IMHO) to all non-westy owners, incl GLs, weekenders and multi-vans.

syncroluvr wrote:
Quote:
we remove the DS swivel and use the oem pass van rails.. but many may not have the stomach to take a grinder to their vans.

This sounds good, what would need to be ground out?

idahoskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much visibility are you needing to create? Move the wheel up or down? The required movement will depend on your specific viewing position. In my case the wheel cut off the top of the gauges after I installed Eurovan seats. I played with the steering column position and found no satisfactory way to raise the wheel high enough without the tilt column idea. It is easy to add spacers to drop the column and thus the wheel (I have a smaller diameter wheel from a mk1 so the wheel is not in my way). Doing this in addition to raising the instrument cluster allows me to see over the wheel and have a good view of the gauges (the top of the wheel sits above the clock and over the blanks in the center of the cluster). However, I am 6' tall and have gained an inch in seating height from the Eurovan seats. I did have the idea at the time of dropping the cluster and thought it would be doable but more work. I can take a pic of my setup this weekend if you think it would help.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idahoskier wrote:
How much visibility are you needing to create? Move the wheel up or down? The required movement will depend on your specific viewing position. In my case the wheel cut off the top of the gauges after I installed Eurovan seats. I played with the steering column position and found no satisfactory way to raise the wheel high enough without the tilt column idea. It is easy to add spacers to drop the column and thus the wheel (I have a smaller diameter wheel from a mk1 so the wheel is not in my way). Doing this in addition to raising the instrument cluster allows me to see over the wheel and have a good view of the gauges (the top of the wheel sits above the clock and over the blanks in the center of the cluster). However, I am 6' tall and have gained an inch in seating height from the Eurovan seats. I did have the idea at the time of dropping the cluster and thought it would be doable but more work. I can take a pic of my setup this weekend if you think it would help.

I'm also 6-0 which is why I am surprised this is so unusual. The picture above should help: I am missing the top of the gauges which is where the action is when I'm driving.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:

I'm also 6-0 which is why I am surprised this is so unusual. The picture above should help: I am missing the top of the gauges which is where the action is when I'm driving.

I'm 6-3 and a longer than average torso..
My 89 Westy has the swivel AND I swapped in the thicker padded passenger van seat (which is taller).

As I typed in the thread linked earlier..
I move the seat base forward so the seat base is about even on the sliders..
Then I recline to second to last click (for in-town) and last click (for HWy).

I can see the gauges well enough to read the numbers.

No hacks.. no spacers.. no grinders..

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
idahoskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the crappy photos and the dirty van Laughing This is close to what my view is now as it depends on how much I recline the seat. The wheel actually sits just a bit higher in my view. It is easy to shift slightly to see the temp and fuel gauges:

This is the spacer under the cluster (made of wood and covered with vinyl):

I also lowered the column about 3/4" but did not grab a pic of that though you can see how much lower the column/ignition cover sits. Certainly not for everyone but lets me see what I want to see. YMMV Razz
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Swapping to a larger steering wheel from a bus without power steering worked for me.

Ditto.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: