Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Advice on Rain Channels on 78 Bus
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brainwash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Need Advice on Rain Channels on 78 Bus Reply with quote

There was some surface rust in the rain channels of my bus and, since I had to take the fiberglass pop-top off to paint it, now seemed like the time to tackle it (typical project scope creep).

So using a crimped wire wheel and a stringer wheel (Milwaukee, HF didn't last and wires came loose while in use) and a got the bulk of the old paint and any rust off of the top (inside) and part of the sides (inside and outside)...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now I'm flummoxed as to how best get at the rust in the outside bottom from underneath shown here...

Don't want further scope creep to make this into an all-out paint job, at least not yet. However, you can see the vertical seam in the air scoop needs attention as well (as do all the vertical seams on my bus, so any advice there is appreciated as well).

Need something really narrow.
Do I get a die grinder?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siphon sand blaster from Harbor Freight & #30 sand from Home Depot.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately need a blaster when doing resto work. Its really the only way to get all the rust off.
brainwash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thank you both!

Mike, a search for "siphon blaster" on HF gave me no results. I got, soda, abrasive, and gravity feed. Not sure which. Lots of variation in the abrasive: from 20# to 110#.

My compressor is only a 29 gal. 2 HP 150 PSI Cast Iron Vertical Air Compressor with Air delivery of 5.9 CFM @ 90 PSI, 7.3 CFM @ 40 PSI.

Will that work for sandblasting?
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just get one of these. Great for smaller work. http://www.harborfreight.com/21-oz-hopper-gravity-feed-spot-blaster-gun-95793.html

You might be able to run something like this, but you would have to use it in short bursts. Takes lots of air to run a blaster. http://www.harborfreight.com/20-lb-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-68994-8799.html
brainwash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
I would just get one of these. Great for smaller work. http://www.harborfreight.com/21-oz-hopper-gravity-feed-spot-blaster-gun-95793.html

Not sure this one would work out as I'm imagining I'll be pointing the gun upwards and won't have gravity in my favor Wink

buguy wrote:
You might be able to run something like this, but you would have to use it in short bursts. Takes lots of air to run a blaster. http://www.harborfreight.com/20-lb-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-68994-8799.html

Gonna give this one a go. Just ordered one of these from HF today along with 3 bags of coal slag media.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buguy wrote:

brainwash wrote:

My compressor is only a 29 gal. 2 HP 150 PSI Cast Iron Vertical Air Compressor with Air delivery of 5.9 CFM @ 90 PSI, 7.3 CFM @ 40 PSI.

Will that work for sandblasting?

No, that compressor will not keep up with what you've ordered. Additionally, the blaster you ordered will take a lot of tweaks to work efficiently & effectively. There's a thread somewhere that details all the tweaks. I just spend an hour looking, but couldn't find it. Perhaps someone else can find it?

brainwash wrote:

Not sure this one would work out as I'm imagining I'll be pointing the gun upwards and won't have gravity in my favor Wink

Gravity feed just means the material is feed into the gun by gravity, rather than some form of pressurization. It will work in any position, as long as there is enough material in the gun.

brainwash wrote:

Gonna give this one a go. Just ordered one of these from HF today along with 3 bags of coal slag media.

Sorry I'm late. Sad Refuse the shipment, return it, or keep it for bigger jobs. For the seams you show in your pics, the first gun that Buguy suggests is what you want. The one you ordered is gonna turn your scope creep into scope sprint! d'oh!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those little gravity feed guns are the bomb. Super versitle. Just have to keep a bag of media nearby because they run out pretty quick. But you have a lot less mess (which is still alot!) and you can kind of blast in a smaller pattern. I watched a dude at work the other day blast an entire engine bay to some Ford with one. They also use much less air and have a trigger so they are more controlable.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: