Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve adjustment with degree pulley
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAmazingDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HRVW wrote:
Smile Sorry XbigDx408x....it's 360 degrees not 180 degrees. (typo error)?

Embarassed ....
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
mark tucker wrote:
I guess if you haven't a clue as to how engines work it might be kinda hard to do. there is no need to see the pulley ,rotor or any of that crap as it has nothing to do with the valve lash. sometimes I wonder how some of you guys can fuel the dam cars. they sure do run much better and quieter when done successfully and accurate .

Explain to me where success and accuracy fails in doing the valves in sequence starting with #1 and turning engine 180° backwards for each cylinder till you have done all 4 cylinders...

Dale
Ive tried it wont do any good, old dogs&new tricks stuff i guess.if you dont already get it or understand it and everything going on,not much use in trying to convince you. although I was rong on the pully thing it can be used to turn the crank.hmmm does the engine run backwards?? it shouldent, that sucks the crap from the filter and runs it back through the pump and into the sump..and the lifters are trusted the rong way and....oh never mind.Ill do mine right and you do yours your way Shocked Wink there are some noisey cams but for the moist Ive seen are the way they were adjusted....or rather not adjusted accurately.and the noise blamed on something"majikel"
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hear is an idea Idea how about a stickey with the diferent valve adjustment procedures and let the reader choose witch one they want, or they can try each and see how easy or hard &how the engine runs for each procedure. this would be much eazyier than the how do i adjust my valves every month and the responses that ensue.......or not.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Dale M. wrote:
mark tucker wrote:
I guess if you haven't a clue as to how engines work it might be kinda hard to do. there is no need to see the pulley ,rotor or any of that crap as it has nothing to do with the valve lash. sometimes I wonder how some of you guys can fuel the dam cars. they sure do run much better and quieter when done successfully and accurate .

Explain to me where success and accuracy fails in doing the valves in sequence starting with #1 and turning engine 180° backwards for each cylinder till you have done all 4 cylinders...

Dale
Ive tried it wont do any good, old dogs&new tricks stuff i guess.if you dont already get it or understand it and everything going on,not much use in trying to convince you. although I was rong on the pully thing it can be used to turn the crank.hmmm does the engine run backwards?? it shouldent, that sucks the crap from the filter and runs it back through the pump and into the sump..and the lifters are trusted the rong way and....oh never mind.Ill do mine right and you do yours your way Shocked Wink there are some noisey cams but for the moist Ive seen are the way they were adjusted....or rather not adjusted accurately.and the noise blamed on something"majikel"

What you are really saying is you do not have valid argument to justify your way over other methods and you refuse to some degree that other methods just may work for rest of us..

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no Im just not getting in a pissing contest because you seem to be stuck in the this is the only way and it has to be right frame of mind, kinda like the bergites just cant be rong. and at some degree the other methods work for the rest of you. it's the " to some degree" that I dont like. I can do it to some degree with no fealer gauges on aluminum pushrod setups.but...not right, but to some degree and it will run, probably as good or better than most....to some degree. I tend to not do stuff to some degree unless Im degreeing a cam or BBQ ing my dinner. ever wonder why jeff gordon dosent rebuild the engine in his nascar racecar???to some degree he probably could, but teaching him to do it right.....and under stand why???not thier job.you either understand it or you dont. and there is nothing rong with that.some see it some dont&some cant.I dont know how long you have been into engines,but if you havent got it by now you wont. and there is nothing rong with that. I could ppobably screw with electronics for a few more years and still never get it. kinda like all them 0's &1's in the digital world,I just dont see it. and I dont mind. so....I do not have an argument for YOU.as it wont do any good.
shifty6d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll short answer Mark Tucker's post as I believe he's referring to the fact that the bottom of a camshafts base circle is not the area of most lash (it's usually just before the ramp of the lobe) and that adjusting them "in order" or however you want to refer to it leaves room for improvement and potential for noise when the cam actually rotates to the area of greatest lash.....correct?
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shifty6d wrote:
I'll short answer Mark Tucker's post as I believe he's referring to the fact that the bottom of a camshafts base circle is not the area of most lash (it's usually just before the ramp of the lobe) and that adjusting them "in order" or however you want to refer to it leaves room for improvement and potential for noise when the cam actually rotates to the area of greatest lash.....correct?

Yes and no, some cams have bad base circle runout and where you adjust on the base circle makes a difference.

On all the webcams I have measured the base circle is close to perfect and where you adjust as long as it is done on the base circle makes no difference.

Every engine I build I check this as it is important for having quiet valves. I won't use a cams with a lot of bc runout.

Dan
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no.
Scott Novak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or start with Cylinder #4 and turn the engine pulley clockwise. #4, #3, then to the other side for #2 and #1.

Scott Novak
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GK.Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can if you want use a Yellow pencil with and eraser (color optional) when the Cylinder pushed the pencil all the way to the top watch the valves and you can see all 4 strokes of the piston. Adjust when @ TDC. go and order you wish.
I m just throwing that out there.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GK.Thing wrote:
You can if you want use a Yellow pencil with and eraser (color optional) when the Cylinder pushed the pencil all the way to the top watch the valves and you can see all 4 strokes of the piston. Adjust when @ TDC. go and order you wish.

I GIVE UP.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GK.Thing wrote:

You dont trust hard mechanical indicators and clearances and gear mesh....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
smkn_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment with degree pulley Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
what does the pully have to do with adjusting the valves??

I use the pulley (degree) to find my valves .100" opening and closing points that I recorded months ago with the dial indicator tool. For example in my scratch notes my pulley at 55 degrees BBDC tells me my #1 (or 3) exhaust valve is lifted .100" so I adjust #1 intake at pulley 55 degrees. I prefer the preload adjustment method similar as I prefer straight-cut gears to help reduce trust load at high rpm's.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment with degree pulley Reply with quote

The reason I like andy198712's way is to only have one valve cover off at a time, as I have to do mine outdoors, and I like to slightly jack up one side at a time, sometimes taking a wheel off for access, and limiting oil seepage.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment with degree pulley Reply with quote

I have found an addition to the way I do it Shocked I walk around the car thunp the hood, then kick a tire. then go to the rear of the car and wipe down the rear tires so there is no dirt, then clean the floor.then I go stick in a good cd in the dvd/cd player.have a drink of diet dew. then go rest for a while.when fully rested I go back out and circle the car 3 times to the left. look at the dist cap then circle to the right 2 times and look at the carb idle ajustment screw on the left carb forward barrell. smile and get up and get a snack.then turn up the raido and put a tray under the head &pull off a valve cover...it dosent matter witch one as my car dosent know left from right.so.....I then proceed as normal with the valve adjustment in any order I wish.after all it's much eazer if you dont try to complicate it with a bunch of ## and turn this way this much back up remember witch to do what to or not sit down turnarouns and do the hokey pokey. it's pretty effing simple as long as you dont try to complicate it.learing the basics of how a 4 stroke engine works is helpful as thats what your fallowing and working on. witch stroke or cylinder dosent realy matter. the engine dosent know what cylinder is # 1.and it dosent matter.
smkn_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment with degree pulley Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
have a drink of diet dew. then go rest for a while.when fully rested I go back out and circle the car 3 times to the left. look at the dist cap then circle to the right 2 times and look at the carb idle ajustment screw on the left carb forward barrell. smile and get up and get a snack.

I tried some dew but still can't get from cyl #1 to #2 the crank doesn’t turn when I turn the pulley and wats the black ruber band thingy it's in the way, if I use a wrench on the crank it turns but only small turns, dis is two complicated Shocked
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment with degree pulley Reply with quote

Adjusting the valve lash according to an arcane formula while chanting magical VW incantations and burning chicken bones and sacred candles - is just another SAMBA perversion of logic.

For over 50 years I have been successfully adjusting valves by noting that one valve in a cylinder is closed to its approx. maximum when the other valve in the cylinder is open to its maximum (as evaluated visually). Its just that freakin' easy....
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment with degree pulley Reply with quote

That's why everyone agrees the only real viable solution is self-adjusting hydraulic lifters.

Anything else is just goofing around, really...

Plus, I'm pretty sure they are guaranteed to never need to be adjusted for the rest of your life, even if you don't smoke.
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment with degree pulley Reply with quote

With aluminum pushrods, I just turn the engine until the valve I want to adjust is as closed as it's going to get, and I adjust it to where I can just barely hear a "click" when I wiggle the rocker.

For steel pushrods, I do the same thing, except when the valve is as closed as it will get, I set the valve lash to where there is more or less no play, but I can still spin the pushrod pretty easily.

I do this every other oil change. The steel pushrods with sweeper style ratio rockers in my dual port are just a tad quieter than the aluminum pushrods with stock rockers in my single port.
Both engines run very sweet, and I haven't had any issues with burnt valves or mushroomed adjusters in the 3 or 4 years I've been doing it this way.

Before I got lazy, I would start on the compression stroke of cylinder #1 at TDC, adjust to 0.004", both intake and exhaust, then rotate counterclockwise 180*, then do #2 the same way, then #3, then #4, then test drive, and have a beer when I got back from the test drive.

The only problem I've ever had has been a sinking valve seat in a dual port head that would let the valve tighten up until it stayed open, then I'd get a misfire. I ran this fubar'd head so long that I was stacking washers under the rocker mounts, until I ran out of room to do that, then pulled the engine and swapped the head. It would run about a month between adjustments before the misfire, and I just got to a point where I knew the head was screwed, and I was about ready to replace the pistons anyway, so I ran it until I couldn't adjust the misfire out of it.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment with degree pulley Reply with quote

some tymes a sinking valve seat is fuel related...and some tymes it is related to the valve adjustment.some tymes it is running too hot. some tymes the chambers are too hot, like from too restrictive exhaust and sometimes shit happens Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: