Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual EMPI 40 HPMX
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Dual EMPI 40 HPMX Reply with quote

I just installed a set of dual 40s onto my 1776. The timing is set at 29 degrees at 3000 rpm which ends up at about 9 at 900 rpm.

The right bank carbs read 3.5 with my syncrometer. The problem seems to be the left. They are bouncing at about 10-20. I can't seem to get them to come down. Any help would be much appreciated.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disconnect linkage and play with idle speed screw.... Its possible you have a problem not allowing the butterfly on high flow bank to not closing properly...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
rickb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. The carbs are adjusted and synced until... I hook up the linkage. It is alright until I hit the throttle and it doesn't return. It will stay at about 2000 rpm. I have no adjustment left on the linkage arms. I thought about getting stronger return springs. Thoughts?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to run a spring that pulls on the throttle arm, it makes a huge difference. I would suggest getting a better linkage. I know it sucks to have just spent that much on the kit, but a new linkage is worth it. The Berg one would be the best way to go.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If linkage will not let carb close all the way, you have linkage problem and not carb problem... You need to look at why linkage will not let carb close all the way.... If down rods are to short you may have linkage assembled wrong, or just need longer rods....

This was my solution for positive return springs... Clock springs on carbs shafts are a little light for returning heavy linkage...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I used a fairly soft spring that just closes carb... You do not want stiff string that slams carbs shut...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: