Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine dating.
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Engine dating. Reply with quote

Yes fellas, I'm that desperate. I don't have anything better to do on a Saturday afternoon than date my engine.

It's "AE 099098", which is weird because I thought all "Hecho in Mexico" Things had AM codes. What's the deal here -- is my engine a replacement?

Thanks,
- Scott

P.S. My Thing's VIN # is: 184 2542 182, if that helps.
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AE engine codes are for 1600cc dual ports made between 1971-1972 bugs. And yes Thing cases were AM. Looks like you got your self a replacement engine.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suntour wrote:
AE engine codes are for 1600cc dual ports made between 1971-1972 bugs. And yes Thing cases were AM. Looks like you got your self a replacement engine.

The AE and AM engines are functionally equivalent, right? My Thing is so far from Perfect shape that I don't care if something is original, but it would be a bummer if it were an inferior replacement. Would the AE be a good engine to mod into an 1835?

Thanks, suntour!
- Scott
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the AE case engine is a good base to build from, but i wouldn't build an 1835, due to cylinder egging. either build a 1776 or a 1915.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bljones wrote:
the AE case engine is a good base to build from, but i wouldn't build an 1835, due to cylinder egging. either build a 1776 or a 1915.

What is "cylinder egging"? I thought 1915s had the thinnest cylinder walls.
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bljones is referring to the super thin walls of the 92mm deforming from the heat (i.e. egging). The cylinder wall thickness of a 1915 I believe (don’t quote me on this) is very close to stock 1600 wall thickness.

I think there is a small difference between an AM case and an AE case. I know the AM case has a place to bolt up the Thing skid plates and the Universal replacement cases (like mine) also have those. I don’t know if yours has that extra little gizmo on it though..??..

There are two schools of though on rebuilding engines. The Gene Berg mentality is that you always use a fresh case when you rebuilt but others seem to think that just an align-bore it fine to rebuild. Read up on this and make your own educated decision.

Personally I have a 1776 with an align-bore on a Universal case. It has lasted 10 years but I have always noticed the oil pressure light flickers when I have driven it hard for a long time and dropped it down to idle. It has always driven me nuts, but so far it has lasted quite some time.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suntour wrote:
Bljones is referring to the super thin walls of the 92mm deforming from the heat (i.e. egging). The cylinder wall thickness of a 1915 I believe (don’t quote me on this) is very close to stock 1600 wall thickness.

Okay... I did some reading elsewhere, and it seems that the 92mm cylinders have the thinnest walls of the lot.

Quote:
I think there is a small difference between an AM case and an AE case. I know the AM case has a place to bolt up the Thing skid plates and the Universal replacement cases (like mine) also have those. I don’t know if yours has that extra little gizmo on it though..??..

That's a good question! I'll look for that.

Quote:
There are two schools of though on rebuilding engines. The Gene Berg mentality is that you always use a fresh case when you rebuilt but others seem to think that just an align-bore it fine to rebuild. Read up on this and make your own educated decision.

Personally I have a 1776 with an align-bore on a Universal case. It has lasted 10 years but I have always noticed the oil pressure light flickers when I have driven it hard for a long time and dropped it down to idle. It has always driven me nuts, but so far it has lasted quite some time.

How has the 1776 done for you, performance-wise? I'm not looking to drag race, but I *would* like something that can keep up with traffic on the highway. Smile

- Scott
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1776 is fairly mild. Stock crank with a aftermarket cam, street eliminator heads and dual 40 Webers. (I bought the heads with the idea that I would bump it up to a 2110 when I could afford a new case and a good crank. However I never got around to doing it.)

I would say the 1776 is definitely better that a 1600 but I am still the slow guy on the freeway. I don’t think I could ever go back to a stock engine though, I had the opportunity to go for a ride a while back in a completely stock 73’ Thing and kept thinking it would help if I got out and pushed. It was just too damn slow.

I am definitely going for a 2270 Type IV next. I can’t wait to be able to cruise at 80 and not have to down shift for a hill.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suntour wrote:
My 1776 is fairly mild. Stock crank with a aftermarket cam, street eliminator heads and dual 40 Webers. (I bought the heads with the idea that I would bump it up to a 2110 when I could afford a new case and a good crank. However I never got around to doing it.)

I would say the 1776 is definitely better that a 1600 but I am still the slow guy on the freeway. I don’t think I could ever go back to a stock engine though, I had the opportunity to go for a ride a while back in a completely stock 73’ Thing and kept thinking it would help if I got out and pushed. It was just too damn slow.

I am definitely going for a 2270 Type IV next. I can’t wait to be able to cruise at 80 and not have to down shift for a hill.

Okay. I put the top down on my Thing yesterday and boldly drove onto I-380*. It was exhilarating driving a convertible on the freeway, which I'd never done before. Also a little scary because the wind was really pushing on me! And whenever I had to slow down for traffic, people passed me as I fought to accelerate back to speed. I topped out at 67 MPH per the speedometer**.

Great experience, but I'll need more oomph*** if I'm going to be as confident going on a freeway again. Wink

* Two-lane divided highway, 65 MPH limit, min 40 MPH

** Which I'm guessing is closer to 62 MPH in real life.

*** At this point, I'm pretty sure I won't build anything smaller than 2.0 L when I do.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: