Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

looking for some build opnions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: looking for some build opnions Reply with quote

Hi Samba folks

I have been off and on (for about a year now) about getting a VW beetle again after not having one since I was a kid (1980). I am starting with a blank slate here. I have no VW's in my yard or any parts either.

I really wanna build an oval track type car ...like a retro rebuild from the 1970's era of mini-stock type division from the New England part of the country. a little lowered, fenders cut for clearance, big rear and front nerf bars and a full roll cage. leave the lights on it tho so I can street drive it to work and back...

To me it would be a sin to buy something that is all rebuilt and then tear into it and make it into what I am looking for in the end...would it make better sense to find a running ratty one and then tear into it?...or maybe find an old beat up Baja and do what I want to make it into???

Just looking for opinions on the subject.

Thanks in advance.

MikeC

I once was blind but now I can see...
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: looking for some build opnions Reply with quote

mikec4193 wrote:
Hi Samba folks

find an old beat up Baja and do what I want to make it into
find a running ratty one and then tear into it
something that is all rebuilt and then tear into it and make it into what I am looking for would be a sin

MikeC

I once was blind but now I can see...

From best to worst idea, in your own words. You already had it! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to booger up a piece of history ,pick one that is not likely to be repaired and put on the road again. I was having a conversation with a co worker about acvw's and he told me his aunt had a beetle that they cut the roof off of to make a roadster. I have no respect for people like that. Shocked There's a special place in hell for them. Very Happy Edit: They should go outside to get in there daily driver for work some morning to find that the roof has been cut off of it. Very Happy
nickfancher1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An air cooled Beetle has enough power to be an oval track car? LOL
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a fellow here in Kentucky that slammed and widened a Jeep and put two wheel drive to the rear. Man that thing corners. Looks great too. I think he is asking 4,000 for it last I saw him.

With any kind of luck this might just save a poor unsuspecting bug.
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
If you are going to booger up a piece of history ,pick one that is not likely to be repaired and put on the road again. I was having a conversation with a co worker about acvw's and he told me his aunt had a beetle that they cut the roof off of to make a roadster. I have no respect for people like that. Shocked There's a special place in hell for them. Very Happy Edit: They should go outside to get in there daily driver for work some morning to find that the roof has been cut off of it. Very Happy

Hi Stockpiler

I have found 2 affordable Beetles in my area....one looks like a 1980's style 1967 VW Beetle ($3700) and the other one is a floorless running all stock 1971 Beetle for $1000.00. The lady says it runs and drives but there is no floor...I have not seen it but I envision angle iron holding seats from falling thru the floor...lots of rot everywhere too...I tend to agree taking something that is all stock and ripping it apart is a sin for sure...I remember one of those TV shows once where these clowns took a totally original model A Ford sedan and tore into it and made it into a rat rod....I was sick...never watched the show again...

[email protected] would love to try and drive that Jeep...sounds like fun for sure..I have seen a couple of the old CJ2A's all chopped and dropped...they remind me of the old "T" buckets from the 1960's and 1970's

MikeC
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at cars that have body work going bad enough so the seller can't hide the fact that it needs major work and you pay for what it is worth. Most people try to sell their car when the old body work is just staring to fail and when you dig into it ,the car instantly loses a lot of value, you pay $2500 and then after stripping it down to inspect the bublbled up paint ,it is now on the market for $1200.I would not get a beetle that the rust has creeped up the door pillars or the part where the voltage regulator bolts onto is rusted out. This is just above the heater channel on the drivers side under the rear seat.It is a good indicator of the whole condition of the car.

Just don't use a rust free car because it is easy. Adopt a car that has slim chances of being put back on the road. The trouble with rust repair is the piece that the rusted out panel is attached to . If the rust is isolated to just the one panel then it's not a problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: