Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front disc brake conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please update again in a little while on Vintage-VDubs kit, seems like an interesting option. Any change in track width with that kit? Can you run 15" bus wheels with it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sleepykid wrote:
srfndoc wrote:
sleepykid wrote:
i went with the www.vintagev-dubs.com kit for the front of my bus. Uses the Wilwood Calipers that are seen on many other kits. I couldn't be any happier. I drive my bus everyday now including my commute to work which is 15 miles one way in heavy socal traffic. Cool

The rotors on their wide 5 kit look tiny and aren't vented. Is that the kit you went with or are you running their deluxe kit which includes vented rotors but is for porsche pattern rims?

It's the same caliper that old speed(wilwood) uses, also your actual brakes are the surface area of your brake pads not the rotors. I went with the non vented due to funds but they work amazing. Been really pleased with them thus far.

Glad it's working well for you.
sleepykid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
Please update again in a little while on Vintage-VDubs kit, seems like an interesting option. Any change in track width with that kit? Can you run 15" bus wheels with it?

Will do. I think they told me it added only 2mm but don't quote me on that. They're on a 4 inch narrowed beam and I am running 15 inch bus wheels.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SambaUser1M wrote:
IMO, its Achilles heel is the adapter plate, but that's my opinion. Plenty of other don't mind adapters.

I agree with you, but I sincerely hope that we're wrong. Lot's of buggies use adapters, and when used right they seem to hold up.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Help Help
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put this here rather than start a new thread.

Here's what I'm working with:

Rear brakes are all new parts that went on with the straight axle trans from Rancho. Front brakes are from Saco. The MC is the one that was in there, it's a '67. There are about 1500 miles on both.

There are three issues that may be all connected.
1: the sch-sch-sch-sch I'm getting from the front brakes . This is not really, really an issue but I'd prefer it not be there. This is at all speeds and has been there since day 1. Others have reported similar
2: there is drag on the bus. I've checked the alignment and I am within spec. but *after driving for a bit it feels like the brakes are dragging. It does not pull to one side or get squirelly when braking. Rears are well adjusted.
3: The killer! After being at speed for a bit the brakes feel as if the drums are out of round and braking is not smooth. There's no peddle undulation. When I pull the e-brake the brakes the bus slows smoothly.

When I put the discs on up front I removed the residual pressure valve.

I've taken an IR thermometer and the rotors are not excessively warm after driving.

Suggestions?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your bearings are okay?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Help Help
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearings were new with front discs and new trans.

I don't think that'd act like that but I'll check them.
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like residual. Did you replace your soft lines? They may be collapsed causing the pressure not to back off one or more brakes.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Help Help
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update:

No residual valve anywhere in the front circuit. Unless there's one at the rear for the back circuit there's not one there either.

Hard lines have likely been replaced by a PO based on the lazy bends. The front soft lines are not stock but not new either.

While I had the bus up in the air I spun the front wheels and the passenger side seemed to a consistent amount of drag through the entire rotation. The Driver side drag was not uniform. Worth taking a micrometer to the disc? Can anyone help me out with what the acceptable range of measurement should be?
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help Help wrote:
Quick update:

No residual valve anywhere in the front circuit. Unless there's one at the rear for the back circuit there's not one there either.

Hard lines have likely been replaced by a PO based on the lazy bends. The front soft lines are not stock but not new either.

While I had the bus up in the air I spun the front wheels and the passenger side seemed to a consistent amount of drag through the entire rotation. The Driver side drag was not uniform. Worth taking a micrometer to the disc? Can anyone help me out with what the acceptable range of measurement should be?

Not a residual valve. What can happen is your soft lines collapse internally. Soft lines, not hard lines, and the brake fluid will push through to apply brakes, but due to the collapsed line will drain back slowly. This leaves your brakes partially applied when using your bus, but backs off when bus has been parked. Swish swish, squeal etc. Acts just like a residual valve. Suggest your replace your soft lines, re bleed and see if that corrects your issiue.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
Help Help
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced all of the soft lines today. The Schk schk schk is gone. I'll put some mileage on it tomorrow and see if the drag and other issue is still around.

The four lines, bleeding and quick wheel polish took about 6 hours. I don't know what chilton time would be but I think if I were doing this for a living I'd be hungry.

Thanks everyone for your input.
5463volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchase a set of the Vintage Vdubs Disc brakes for my 67 bus. Went to install last night and could only fit one double nuts onto the spindle. Everything appears to install correctly. Anyone have any recommendations or installed these?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1727638
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5463volks wrote:
Purchase a set of the Vintage Vdubs Disc brakes for my 67 bus. Went to install last night and could only fit one double nuts onto the spindle. Everything appears to install correctly. Anyone have any recommendations or installed these?

It sounds like a problem with the wheel bearings. Were the bearings pre-installed? If so, are you sure you have the correct kit for late beam spindles? Your bus would use roller bearings. Are they seated correctly and thoroughly greased, especially the inner bearing? Is it possible you have early spindles on your late bus?

If you can, post some pictures of your set up and the problem you are having.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5463volks wrote:

The feedback on this vendor has not been very positive. Please let us know what your thoughts are on the rest of the kit and what your experience has been with their customer support. Did you contact VVDubs on this problem?
Thanks!
vwserphguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the CSP users (64-67 front disc brakes for bus), what type of brake fluid are you using? I believe I put in DOT 3. My fronts locked up on me. It was also sitting for several months during winter. Trying to figure out if it's the fluid or it was sitting too long or both, haha. Thanks!
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwserphguy wrote:
For the CSP users (64-67 front disc brakes for bus), what type of brake fluid are you using? I believe I put in DOT 3. My fronts locked up on me. It was also sitting for several months during winter. Trying to figure out if it's the fluid or it was sitting too long or both, haha. Thanks!

I have the CSP brakes on my 67, and I use DOT 4 fluid. Never had a problem. When was the last time your soft lines were changed? Can you open the bleeder valves and release the pressure from the caliper? What MC do you have? Is there rust showing on the rotor?
vwserphguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

olliehank47 wrote:
vwserphguy wrote:

I have the CSP brakes on my 67, and I use DOT 4 fluid. Never had a problem. When was the last time your soft lines were changed? Can you open the bleeder valves and release the pressure from the caliper? What MC do you have? Is there rust showing on the rotor?

Thanks for your perspective. Maybe what happened is due to the DOT 3 fluid? I couldn't find specs in the CSP info on what fluid to use. Thought 3 and 4 were generally comparable but I should not be so neglectful to assume that.

To answer your questions, all brake components were all replaced with new stuff. Have a dual master and no rust whatsoever.

When I took them apart I had to use a c clamp to retract the calipers back to free them. I did apply some lube/brake grease where things slide. I hope that solves it. Gonna see what happens from here. Thanks for your input.
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwserphguy wrote:
olliehank47 wrote:
vwserphguy wrote:

Thanks for your perspective. Maybe what happened is due to the DOT 3 fluid? I couldn't find specs in the CSP info on what fluid to use. Thought 3 and 4 were generally comparable but I should not be so neglectful to assume that.

To answer your questions, all brake components were all replaced with new stuff. Have a dual master and no rust whatsoever.

When I took them apart I had to use a c clamp to retract the calipers back to free them. I did apply some lube/brake grease where things slide. I hope that solves it. Gonna see what happens from here. Thanks for your input.

I really don't think the brake fluid is the issue. Dot 3 should be fine as the major difference between 3/4 is the boiling point--3 has a lower boiling point. I would suggest you use DOT 4 once you resolve the problem, just to be safe.

Given the type of caliper used on the CSP kit, sliding type, it's possible that the long sitting time caused the calipers to freeze to the mounting bolts. If you've disassembled the brakes and greased the bores, that may have taken care of the issue. It's been my experience with disc brakes that it is normal to use some kind of press to retract the pistons for removal.
5463volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.
Spindles are correct for a 67 bus. Inner bearing was seated correctly. I think they are the wrong rotors. Awaiting a call back from Vintage Vdubs. Called and spoke to someone twice on Friday but never got a resolution to the issue. So I am awaiting a response from them.

olliehank47 wrote:
5463volks wrote:

It sounds like a problem with the wheel bearings. Were the bearings pre-installed? If so, are you sure you have the correct kit for late beam spindles? Your bus would use roller bearings. Are they seated correctly and thoroughly greased, especially the inner bearing? Is it possible you have early spindles on your late bus?

If you can, post some pictures of your set up and the problem you are having.
vwserphguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olliehank47 wrote:
vwserphguy wrote:
olliehank47 wrote:
vwserphguy wrote:

I really don't think the brake fluid is the issue. Dot 3 should be fine as the major difference between 3/4 is the boiling point--3 has a lower boiling point. I would suggest you use DOT 4 once you resolve the problem, just to be safe.

Given the type of caliper used on the CSP kit, sliding type, it's possible that the long sitting time caused the calipers to freeze to the mounting bolts. If you've disassembled the brakes and greased the bores, that may have taken care of the issue. It's been my experience with disc brakes that it is normal to use some kind of press to retract the pistons for removal.

I had this happen again today. Drove it 20 miles to work this morning with no problems. It sat the whole day while I was at work. I went to drive it home and it could barely accelerate. I had to pull over, I opened up the bleeder valves on the front disc brakes. It definately let pressure out that had built up. Drove home with no problems. Any suggestions other than calling CSP customer support tomorrow?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 48

Jump to: