Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil pressure question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What would you do?
Replace switch
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Replace pump
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Replace nothing and drive it
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

_smoker_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: oil pressure question Reply with quote

'88 GL, 2.1 4speed, unknown miles (84k on the cluster, it supposedly worked when it was parked before I bought it, but it hasn't moved since I've owned it)

I'll try to keep this concise but detailed.

I'm getting the oil pressure warning ONLY between 2-3k and ONLY when the van is warm.

I understand that I have the two-switch system. My first thought would've been that my high pressure switch is bad, but the fact that it only shows up after the oil is warm, and it goes away above 3k makes me think that it actually is low.

Could it still just be a faulty switch?

Assuming it's not the switch, is it more likely that my oil pump is tired or that my motor is just worn out?

I'm collecting parts for an engine conversion, so I don't care about longevity as much as the next guy might. But I still have a long list of parts needed, and I DON'T want to do the conversion because of an emergency situation.

So I guess my question is... if it was your van, what would you do?? I disabled the buzzer and ran my old 8V scirocco on almost no oil pressure for two years back in high school, beating the tar out of it. I couldn't kill that motor. I know this is a different design, but... just thinking out loud.

I'm not opposed to replacing the pump, even though I'm hoping to swap the motor in a few months. What I don't want to do is do the pump only to find out that it didn't fix it. So now I'm rambling. Suggestions?
_smoker_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was supposed to be a third poll option: replace nothing and drive it!

Moderator note: Option added.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what brand oil filter?

what viscosity oil?
_smoker_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call, that would be vital info. I forget what brand filter is on it. I've been running Rotella 15w40, adding a quart every other day because my rear main leaks like a sieve lol.
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of discussion about this here as this has been one of the common problems..

Few things... are you running 20W-50 oil and the proper oil filter? That seems to clean the problem up..

Also, look toward your thermostat (left front fire wall) and you'll see a white plug with a yellow wire and a blue/black wire on one side and two brown wires on the other side of the plug... Follow the brown ones to your high and low side oil pressure switches... make sure they are not chaffed.

If not, the switch is right under the water pump... and a real (insert word) to get to... for a few bucks it may be worth it...

FWIIW... I just grounded the yellow wire and shut it up. You'll still have the low pressure warning like the earlier vans did.

Good luck

Last edited by nacradriver on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
vw4life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to address the oil leak. No oil=no oil pressure. I know you don't want to pull the engine but its needed.

You need to test the switches first as the dual oil switch set up is know to fail and send false lights. I would run a VDO gauge and spend the money immediately. Even if you don't pull the trans to do the main, at least this will help you if you run low and $100 in a sendor/gauge is worth the investment of not blowing up your engine. It can be used in other applications also

I am a 20w50 advocate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
_smoker_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on doing the seal on Saturday. I've been keeping a close eye on the level, that definitely isn't the issue.

At this point my plan is to change the oil with 20w50 and see what happens.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this for some info http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_15/oil-pressure-problems.html
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798

Last edited by vanagonjr on Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
_smoker_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I put 20w50 in it. Definitely made a difference. The light came on for about half a second in third gear. Huge improvement.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was doing the same thing. I tried 20w-50, & the problem got a little better, but the light would still flash during cruise if it was warm out. Note, it's a high mileage engine.

I got it to go away completely on 20w-50. I run the engine 1/2 qt or so low (I keep the oil level at the low mark on the dipstick, which is exactly 4 qts), & I propped open the license plate door. Problem solved, at least for now Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this is a more common problem that I originally anticipated. Here are the things I have replaced:
1- both pressure sensors (already had these in hand)
2- wire harness, (sensor to plug) (removed harness had 2 wear points)
3- return pressure spring (new spring was noticeably stronger than replaced)

Planning on ordering oil pressure gauge kit, but out of stock presently van cafe

Had oil changed, NAPA Gold Oil filter, am told this is to OEM Specs
5w-50 synthetic oil

1986 2.1 (60k miles on rebuild) manual trans

Lights act properly at ign on and running. Light flickers at around 3800 rpm. Sometimes at lower rpm, or at higher but most noticed right around 3800. Doesn't seem to make much difference whether warm of cold.

Very vexing. Each fix we figure will end the issue. Only 2 areas I can think of left.
1- oil pump. However, if it were bad, would it display itself like this? Seems if it will be low it will be low.
2- wiring harness from engine compartment to dash, chafed and vibrations at 3800 rpm cause it to sporadically short out? Bad ground under dash?

While awaiting kits to be back in stock, I wil check all grounds, always a good thing to take your time up and make you feel like you are accomplishing something!

Anything to add? Anyone? I already changed my fuel lines.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: