Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 manual
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
trektider60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: 1960 manual Reply with quote

What is the best manual to get for a 1960 T1? The Bentley manual starts with 1966; does it have the needed info for a 1960?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 manual Reply with quote

trektider60 wrote:
The Bentley manual starts with 1966

Who the hell lied to you... Question

Over 1200 pages of purist bathroom reader....

If you cant "fix" your VW with one of these.. .stay away from tools...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1759884

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of selection from the classified ads....

I did a search for "repair manuals" I like a wide variety of manuals and have many of them, each has a little different take, but the official one has most everything new at near $100 is a bit pricey however, but it the best single book to have. the older books would be better for your 1960 car than the later ones that may only superficially cover the older models.

Link to classified ads....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QUOTE...$100 is a bit pricey...Quote

When is the last time you got any shop repairs done for less than $100 ??

Money well spent ....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are very many to choose from and most can be bought for a low price. Most are not without errors or omissions, Bentley included. For that reason, I buy just about every version I can get a hold of and if I am doing a procedure I'm not familiar with, I will look through multiple manuals. The Bentley manual is very good. One negative is that I think it is designed for the professional mechanic that has every VW specialty tool ever made. Other manuals might tell you how to get by without the specialty tool.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

h~moto wrote:
. One negative is that I think it is designed for the professional mechanic that has every VW specialty tool ever made. Other manuals might tell you how to get by without the specialty tool.

Rather, it was designed for the DEALER mechanic, who would have had a service bay stocked with all the specialty tools.

And it is dated... stuff like using benzene to clean parts! But it's a good resource to have nonetheless.

The 58-60 book is a bit slimmer than the 61-65 version, it's "only" 1016 pages according to Robert Bentley.

(And if you're planning on dealing with later stuff like a tunnel style transaxle, or a 40HP engine, the 61-65 book could be a better choice. The body style was largely the same except for in the front trunk area... and the body/frame repair sections of the 61-65 book actually reused many of the 58-60 photos. However, a few years ago, Bentley reissued the 61-65 book in hardcover and added color wire diagrams, which boosted the price of that book up)

I'm with the others, get a few different books (my first VW book was the no-longer-available Haynes 1200 book, for my 62 Beetle) - even the John Muir Idiot book is good for general theory and some laughs (but it's also quite outdated as well)

I guess the big questions are how original is the car and how original do you want to keep it... and what other plans do you have for the car? The further away from original you go, the less value the Bentley Workshop Manual will have for you.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
QUOTE...$100 is a bit pricey...Quote

When is the last time you got any shop repairs done for less than $100 ??

Money well spent ....

I aint saying it is not money well spent, just that $100 is a lot of money for something like a book. The phone company will toss phone books on my door step that are bigger, I doubt they cost $100 to produce.
Inflation is killing folks on fixed incomes.

I do own official Bentley books for most my fleet, but not for my 61 But I have probably 20 or more different VW Bug repair books that cover the 61, so I got much of it covered. I wished I had that book for my 61 but for me, I can get by. I'd pay $50 for it, but I would part with $100 for it is I did not have all my other books. It is a good, no GREAT repair manual to have no doubt.

For your last question about a $100 repair book, Never paid $100 or more for one, maybe $30 bucks tops, lots bought used, but some bought new.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
h~moto wrote:
. One negative is that I think it is designed for the professional mechanic that has every VW specialty tool ever made. Other manuals might tell you how to get by without the specialty tool.

Rather, it was designed for the DEALER mechanic, who would have had a service bay stocked with all the specialty tools.

And it is dated... stuff like using benzene to clean parts! But it's a good resource to have nonetheless.

The 58-60 book is a bit slimmer than the 61-65 version, it's "only" 1016 pages according to Robert Bentley.

(And if you're planning on dealing with later stuff like a tunnel style transaxle, or a 40HP engine, the 61-65 book could be a better choice. The body style was largely the same except for in the front trunk area... and the body/frame repair sections of the 61-65 book actually reused many of the 58-60 photos. However, a few years ago, Bentley reissued the 61-65 book in hardcover and added color wire diagrams, which boosted the price of that book up)

I'm with the others, get a few different books (my first VW book was the no-longer-available Haynes 1200 book, for my 62 Beetle) - even the John Muir Idiot book is good for general theory and some laughs (but it's also quite outdated as well)

I guess the big questions are how original is the car and how original do you want to keep it... and what other plans do you have for the car? The further away from original you go, the less value the Bentley Workshop Manual will have for you.

-Andy

the photo of the specialty tools are great lot better than most manuals that might simply have an exploded view and tell you to remove the part. (How????)

You can understand from the photos of the specialty tools how a part is to be removed or fitted, and thus make your own tool or improvise with a universal puller or what not. It can come in very handy to see the dealer specialty tools even if you have no access to one.

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree. I bought the 61-65 Bentley immediately when it was first published in 1990. (I bought my 62 bug in 1/89) All I had at that time was the Idiot Book and the 1200 Haynes and was totally chuffed to have a "real" manual for the car.

Many modern dealer manuals just assume you know how the specialty tools work and so don't even show or describe how to use them, they just say "use SST-XXYY##" rendering such manuals quite useless to those who don't have or know about the special tool in question. These old VW Workshop manuals are so much better in comparison.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trektider60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the information; all I found was the blue Bentley starting with the 1966 year. I'll be looking for a the correct Bentley. I have a 1974 Haynes manual (had a'74SB in 1988) and it will work for the engine since that's what is in my '60. It is not an OG bug.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 manual Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:

(And if you're planning on dealing with later stuff like a tunnel style transaxle, or a 40HP engine, the 61-65 book could be a better choice.

-Andy

Oh.. allow me to me correct then... Rolling Eyes

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Over 1015 pages of purist bathroom reader....

Laughing

Agreed.... never too many resources to be had...

I prefer the 61-65 and the 66-69 manuals . Im a dealer tech so that explains why I like them....

They are overload for the average VW Joe Shadetree... but good information included nonetheless.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CC&H manuals, along with the Idiot Book are the ones that ride in the cars' road kits. They are the ones with which you react to a repair need. The Bentley is the one that gets handled only with clean paws- and the procedures are read prior to work.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use my Bentley too much. It's almost like information overload. If I need a resource for a procedure it's quicker with the Idiot manual or such.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1960vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idiot book is the way to go. Been through 3 of them, well used by me and friends!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: