Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WW Stroker Crank Question
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lidpainter
Samba Anti-Hero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: WW Stroker Crank Question Reply with quote

I did a search but I could not find this info. Please don't flame me if I missed something obvious. I was wondering what pistons and rods are supposed to be used with the Wolfsburg West 36 hp stroker crank. Any info would be great. Thanks.
Jonnyla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe stock pistons and cylinders along with some shims between the cylinders and block. I may be way off but I think I read that somewhere... So basically someone with more knowledge needs to pipe in still. Laughing
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WW Okrasa Kit was covered a couple of times in the Dune Buggy and Hot VWs magazine. July 2010 first, then again in July and August , 2015. Not sure if it will answer all your questions, but they are a good reference for me. I have been following these threads and articles for a similar build. I recently bought an early Porsche crankshaft for my 36 dual carb build. Good luck with yours!
'63 OG 117
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: WW Stroker Crank Question Reply with quote

Lidpainter wrote:
I did a search but I could not find this info. Please don't flame me if I missed something obvious. I was wondering what pistons and rods are supposed to be used with the Wolfsburg West 36 hp stroker crank. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Hello, the stock rods need a light grinding and stock Pistons need to be modified. See my drawing at: http://lowlightkaizen.blogspot.se/2014/04/piston-clearance-for-695-mm-ww-crank.html?m=1
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Stroker Crank Question Reply with quote

tobiasax wrote:
Lidpainter wrote:

Hello, the stock rods need a light grinding and stock Pistons need to be modified. See my drawing at: http://lowlightkaizen.blogspot.se/2014/04/piston-clearance-for-695-mm-ww-crank.html?m=1

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pushrod spacers as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksartist wrote:
Pushrod spacers as well.

It depends on the rest of the engine. My heads was machined down somewhat so I achieved good valve train geometry without spacers.

Lessoned learned: don't do anything to the pushrods until the engine is assembled.
Daniel hunt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: WW Stroker Crank Question Reply with quote

I'm also going with the 69.5mm stroker counterweight crank in my 1959 bug. also going with a 80mm by 64mm big bore kit by AA performance requires machine work but will be worth it.

struggling on conrods though I read somewhere that staying with the stock length conrod will cause extra stress and so on. And so should use 5.394 length conrod instead. anyone got any experience with this or just knows if this is correct.

Also what needed/how much machining was required to the heads to allow a 69.5mm stroker?
Only info I find is to add shims but how much exactly and what I'm unsure.

btw I'm very new to the VW scene.
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: WW Stroker Crank Question Reply with quote

Daniel hunt wrote:
I'm also going with the 69.5mm stroker counterweight crank in my 1959 bug. also going with a 80mm by 64mm big bore kit by AA performance requires machine work but will be worth it.

struggling on conrods though I read somewhere that staying with the stock length conrod will cause extra stress and so on. And so should use 5.394 length conrod instead. anyone got any experience with this or just knows if this is correct.

Also what needed/how much machining was required to the heads to allow a 69.5mm stroker?
Only info I find is to add shims but how much exactly and what I'm unsure.

btw I'm very new to the VW scene.

Stock con rods work just fine.

You need a spacer that builds approx. half the increased stroke (69,5-64)/2=2,75 mm

The extra stroke will increase the compression with a given set of heads. If you want to increase more you need to machine the heads, otherwise not.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: WW Stroker Crank Question Reply with quote

With the talk about spacers are all the stroked 36 horse motors running dual carb setups? I don't see how a stock intake manifold would fit.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: WW Stroker Crank Question Reply with quote

It's extremely easy to cut and lengthen the intake tubing. Exhaust pipes generally have to be modified as well.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Stroker Crank Question Reply with quote

sled wrote:
It's extremely easy to cut and lengthen the intake tubing. Exhaust pipes generally have to be modified as well.

I don't think I've ever seen a welded intake manifold. I would be concerned that good weld penetration would end up creating a weld bump inside and airflow disruption.
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: WW Stroker Crank Question Reply with quote

Lidpainter wrote:
have a look at my build, I am not using any spacers. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=589193 Jim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: