Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car now runs but chugs in second?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LT_Spenny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Car now runs but chugs in second? Reply with quote

Hello again everyone, Figured new problem so new topic. Previously i was having issues getting the car to start, got that figured out with loads of thanks to the members in this forum. My new problem, dual 40 webbers tuned to the initial start up setup, I can without a load fully rev them up without any issues through the rpm range, but when i took it for a drive, i was in second gear going up a slight hill and the engine started "chugging" it sounded like it was getting fuel then not getting fuel back and forth in quick succession, Didn't get it into any higher gear, it was almost like i was lugging the engine but i know i was going at least 20-25. I've so far swapped out the fuel filter and contemplating checking my float setting again. I can post my current jetting if anyone wants it, or just ask what other info would be valuable in helping out with this as I'm not even sure why exactly its happening.

Thanks again fellas!
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you test compression yet? Have you used a timing light and verify setting and functioning advance? What do the plugs look like? Adjust/sync carbs again yet? Full or part throttle during issue? Why were the used carbs for sale? You would not be the first person to end up with somebody else s junk.
LT_Spenny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used the timing light verified max advance at 32 deg. I re adjusted the sync on carbs going as far as adjusting the air correction with a snail gauge and getting a good 750-800rpm idle. Adjusted the best lean setting. The car sounds great feels good in first lol just in second up a hill it started that chugging. I'll pull th plugs tomorrow and take a look at them. As far as why they where for sale. Guy had a bigger engine and bigger carbs installed. I cleaned thoroughly and bought new genuine parts for everything I could replace. As far as throttle it became inresponsive once it started the chugging high low idle problem it remained that way up the hill no change with my pedal pressing.

I know in my other thread I had talked about braking down my engine and verifying every component but I have yet to build the courage to do it but all these issues im having is making me want to push for that.

Thanks for your reply and help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: