Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheeler Dealer youtube on the Thing
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned more about the auxiliary gas heater in the show that I ever knew before. Other shows seem to avoid discussion of it like it was a bastard child. Too bad I have a 74 Laughing
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather like watching the show as the mechanic is rather bright. What I don't like is that Ed buys the car, turns it over to Mike to fix and sets a price to sell. Very often they don't put the dollar amount it took to fix the car into the price so he selling price is rather deceiving. A mechanic would charge an arm & a leg for the work he does.
On the other hand, you have shops like Gas Monkey who will buy a car for $5000, really fix it up and sell it for $55000, unbelievable. Unbelievable what some will pay for a car. I just don't ever see myself buying a car from them.
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThingBeast wrote:
I rather like watching the show as the mechanic is rather bright. What I don't like is that Ed buys the car, turns it over to Mike to fix and sets a price to sell. Very often they don't put the dollar amount it took to fix the car into the price so he selling price is rather deceiving. A mechanic would charge an arm & a leg for the work he does.
On the other hand, you have shops like Gas Monkey who will buy a car for $5000, really fix it up and sell it for $55000, unbelievable. Unbelievable what some will pay for a car. I just don't ever see myself buying a car from them.

Anyone considering buying from Gas Monkey should watch the show for some G-2. Long term ol' Richard may have shot himself in the foot by showing off his pricing skills.

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThingBeast wrote:

Some editions of WD do show costs -- but out of pocket costs. I assume Wind Bag splits the profits with Ed (I think that's his name) but it is never stated and no one knows by what percentage, who owns what, or who foots the initial costs.

The Thing needed a lot less than most vehicles on the show.
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
I learned more about the auxiliary gas heater in the show that I ever knew before. Other shows seem to avoid discussion of it like it was a bastard child. Too bad I have a 74 Laughing

I've learned everything I need to know about gas heaters right here and have it working in time for the fall.

And WD has brought more attention to our Things. I had several guys ask me over the weekend if I had seen that episode and were surprised by the prices of them.
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThingBeast wrote:

C'mon, do you really think they are genuine buyers who drop that kind of cash on a 'toy' without blinking? It's all fake.

As for Wheeler Dealers (one of the better shows) - they usually do list the cost of parts that they buy for each project, but yeah, I agree, they don't factor in the mechanic's time, which would make every project probably too costly to make a profit on. Like before, it's not reality, just made for TV. At least with WD, you usually learn something, and there's none of the made-up drama BS that you wish you didn't have to sit through.
Rowens54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of exhaust did they replace the old one with?
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThingBeast wrote:
Very often they don't put the dollar amount it took to fix the car into the price so he selling price is rather deceiving. A mechanic would charge an arm & a leg for the work he does.

If you go back to the beginning of WD, the whole premise of the show was to show you how you can buy, fix up and flip an old car for profit. The assumption being that you would do the things Edd does and your payment would be the profit when sold. Now a lot of that has been lost over the years, but that's how it started.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

They never figure in the mechanic's wages but I am sure Ed get a salary from the Film Company. I did read somewhere that some of the buyers are acutally part of the film crew or film company employees. Who knows, but that is one of the few cars shows I actually watch. WD and I also watch FanthomWorks.
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they were filming the show James asked me if I knew any one who was looking for a Thing to buy and if so they would get first pick of the one they built.
At that time I did not know anyone as I had not really gotten into them yet. But later a few of my friends said they sure wish I had told them.
GB
dagersh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Having a fit... Reply with quote

"Edit - Dashpot!!!!!!!!!"

... such a noob! Embarassed

Guys,

I am working on my '74. What is the name of the part that Edd replaced in on the Carb/throttle that "dampers' the idle when you come to a stop and let off the throttle? Mine is pretty much shot, so I am looking for options.

I Can't figure out what I am looking for in any of my searches. I am sure if I knew the name of the part, I can find the info I am looking for!

Sorry, not trying to Hijack...

Thanks,

Gersh
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find the dashpot from a early 60's GM car is the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We received our copy of the show today from James in England on DVD and it is great. We had just bought the show from Amazon and can watch it any time. We did not have a HD TV until my Wife won one from a Car Show this year, so not we can watch it any time we want to James said in the Thank You letter that the show had been seen by 200 million viewers in over 220 countries. We had a great time during the Filming. We just got back from 10 days in England and 4 weeks in Germany. We were at a car show in Germany and a Thing drove through the show but did not stop. It had the spare mounted on the hood and was counter sunk into the hood. Was done in military color with the military lights.
GB
abcdleines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germanbilly wrote:
We received our copy of the show today from James in England on DVD and it is great. We had just bought the show from Amazon and can watch it any time. We did not have a HD TV until my Wife won one from a Car Show this year, so not we can watch it any time we want to James said in the Thank You letter that the show had been seen by 200 million viewers in over 220 countries. We had a great time during the Filming. We just got back from 10 days in England and 4 weeks in Germany. We were at a car show in Germany and a Thing drove through the show but did not stop. It had the spare mounted on the hood and was counter sunk into the hood. Was done in military color with the military lights.
GB

Would like to have a copy too, but couldn't find it on Amazon.
abcdleines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abcdleines wrote:
germanbilly wrote:
GB

Would like to have a copy too, but couldn't find it on Amazon.

Never mind, found it.
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the DVD
GB

https://www.amazon.com/MG-MGA/dp/B014HIEEAC/ref=sr...amp;sr=1-2
oldthingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a great show and after meeting the guys at Barrett Jackson earlier this year I must say they are a very nice pair of guys. Good show, sometimes odd cars and they talk in layman terms so we can all understand. I thought they bought a clean car for a good price.
64 notch - gone
60 23 window - gone
57 oval - gone
plus a few others I should have kept
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: