Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel starvation or loss of spark?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a fuel pump problem this summer. Car would run fine down the road around 60. Shut it off and wait a few minutes stat it up and it would loose power and die. Checked everything and could not find anything wrong. Ended up changing the fuel pump and it rans great.

Member of 67 Posse
Omaha Volkswagen Club
Neb VVWCA Chapter Rep
Volkswagen Club of Nebraska
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outoftheoffice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel starvation or loss of spark? Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
After 10 mins or so on the highway, it started bucking and hesitating a bit. The "out of gas" buck.

2-3 mins later same thing.

It was only when I tried to hold about 60mph (bone stock 36hp), if I let up on the gas, and coasted down a bit, it would take up fine. Up hills it got worse, down hills no problem. Take my foot off the gas for 3 secs or so when it was happening then back on, and I could "buy" a bit more run time. If I ran about 50, it was OK, at least on the trip down.

Everything I could think of pointed to a fuel starvation problem (no problem at high RPMs under light load, around town under slow speed load, etc).

Same exact thing recently happened to me, to the T.

Bone stock 36hp engine, 58 Beetle. I thought the fuel pump was relatively new, so wasn't thinking that was the culprit. Instead I targeted carb icing since I've seen quite a bit a buildup on the outside of the intake throat and temps so hot on the passenger side pre-heater riser that it's become somewhat damaged (guessing it's pretty clogged inside). So, to tackle that problem I've got a clear intake manifold on the way to get me by while I clear mine...but after reading this I'm thinking it might actually be a degraded fuel pump issue.

John - from reading the thread it sounded like a fuel pump rebuild eventually solved this problem? If so I'll do that for sure when I put the new intake manifold on, just to cover both bases.

Side note: The "out of gas" buck - I like that terminology and know the feeling far too well..
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add info to this thread. I recently had a fuel starvation problem with my 67 and found the fuel bowl empty each time. But it turned out to be a faulty float valve that kept sticking closed. If you flicked the pin a few times the fuel would spurt out still under pressure from the fuel pump. It was an EMPi replacement carb, so I swapped the valve out with an original valve I had and it has been no problems since.

Just FYI

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=414940
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outoftheoffice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally had some time so I pulled out an old German fuel pump, rebuilt it and threw it on. While I was at it I took another look at my intake manifold and the passenger side exhaust pipe was badly corroded (probably from getting so hot/being clogged). So, while I was at it I replaced the intake manifold with a spare I had.

Took the bug for a spin around town then hit the freeway to put a few miles under its belt at 60-70 mph (where I was experiencing the problem). Drove like a champ, no issues at all. I'm very confident it was the fuel pump but I'm happy to have the new intake manifold on as well, especially since after I pulled the old one off I confirmed that corroded passenger exhaust pipe was actually leaking, too.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you suspect fuel starvation, and the 36hp fuel pump in particular as the possible culprit, you can cobble-up a fuel pressure gauge and use it to check the output of your fuel pump as I did in this build thread of my '59 DC with similar symptoms/issues. Go to:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...;start=740

..and read on from page 38 thru 40. There are nice photos of an actual VW dealership 25bhp and 36bhp fuel pressure testing device that I used to find out that my pump was initially deficient in fuel pressure, and how to remedy either too much or not enough fuel pressure output from your early 36bhp fuel pumps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I hope that helps someone out there...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: