Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rust on the front beam
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Rust on the front beam Reply with quote

I searched here and found a few varying opinions, some saying rust in this area should be patched eventually but it's not the end of the world, others claiming death and destruction would follow should the owner drive another mile on it.

I've driven this thing ~9k miles, it's had an alignment and balljoints done at a shop and noone said anything. I just saw it today looking for something unrelated, still not entirely sure how I missed it; clearly it's been like this for a while.

Driver's side
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Passenger's side

I was thinking about taking it on a 300 mile round trip in two weeks, currently rethinking that plan.

Will probably go ahead and order a replacement, would appreciate any insight as to the issues I'll run into swapping this thing out.
The Bentley almost makes it look easy, and it seems like people swap in narrowed/adjustable beams all the time without much fanfare.
Just not something I've done yet.

Thoughts?
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to tell from the picture, but if it is just the shock tower that is rusted, it's not good, but I would probably putt around town until the replacement came in. However, if it has eaten into the tube (especially a hole), I would stop driving it. The problem with rust is, even though you may just see a small hole in the tube, the integrity of the metal around the tube has been compromised as well. Also, you do not know how far this cancer has affected the metal (1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 around the tube). All it might take is one good pothole, and bad things could happen. Just like brakes, you also want to have your suspension, and control parts in top notch condition. Especially if I am driving next to you.

As far as replacement, it really is pretty easy. The hardest part is that the beam is a little awkward to handle when fully assembled.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's more than just a "hole" there. I might drive it a couple miles to the store and back, but certainly not a 300-mile round trip.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start looking for a new front beam. It's fairly easy to swap one out, if your thinking about it, get it narrowed. Stay away from the urethane bushings, reuse the German grease seals, if they are still good. Get one of these http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/otc-ball-joint-...oint+toole Read up, if your inclined you can do it yourself.
76VDubya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of replacing my beam as well. Mine looked like your driver's side (on both sides Shocked), plus both shock mounting holes were almost rusted out.

I finally found a used original beam, but if I had to do it all over again, I would have just ponied up for a new OEM one.

The removal/install is pretty simple and straightforward, but the beam is pretty heavy/akward, dirty, and rusty, so plan accordingly.

A couple of things I would recommend:

1. A Tie rod/ball-joint seperator tool (not a pickle fork)
2. An extra set of hands (along with a floor jack) to help maneuver the beam
3. A cut-off tool to remove the rusty sway bar clamps (cip1 has new OEM ones)
4. Bolt the steering box on first, then install the beam without the arms, or anything else attached, then assemble the rest on the car.

Here's a good link to check out: http://vwblvd.com/?p=1163
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your new beam I'd weld all around the seam where the two halfs of the shock tower are spot-welded together to seal out future water. I'd also put 1/4"-20 hole and screw near the top of the tower so I could spray oil on the inside of each tower yearly.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goober wrote:
On your new beam I'd weld all around the seam where the two halfs of the shock tower are spot-welded together to seal out future water. I'd also put 1/4"-20 hole and screw near the top of the tower so I could spray oil on the inside of each tower yearly.

That is entirely unnecessary. A couple of times a year, take the nozzle from your water hose and shoot it into the drain hole at the bottom of each shock tower for a couple of minutes until the water flows clear. Keep the dirt out and it won't rust.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.
The rust hasn't eaten into the tube, it just got the support.
The camera flash made the inside look worse than it does in person, but it does show off the rather nice rust holes.

76VDubya wrote:
The removal/install is pretty simple and straightforward, but the beam is pretty heavy/akward, dirty, and rusty, so plan accordingly.

4. Bolt the steering box on first, then install the beam without the arms, or anything else attached, then assemble the rest on the car.

Great link, was looking for something like that, thanks!

Parts list wise,
Beam (stock) - (link)
Bolts - (link)
(lock washers?)

Swaybar clamps - (link)
Torsion arm seals, upper (x2) - (link)
Torsion arm seals, lower (x2) - (link)
Body pad, upper (x2) - (link)
Body pad, lower (x2) - (link)

I guess one of these too
Shock mounting kit (x2) - (link)
...or the shock comes with the kit (x2)- (link)
Current front shocks are ... well, they're white. afaik they function, but the top mount rubber is cracked. Leaning towards the new shocks.

Also might get the retaining screws and nuts since they're relatively cheap..
Mounting screws (x6) - (link)
Mounting nuts (x6) - (link)

Anyone know if that stock beam comes with the grease zerks?
Otherwise I guess I need 4 - (link)

...plus the tie rod removal tool
That about cover it?

Question - Since the torsion arms appear to pop right off, is there any need to mess with my (relatively new) balljoints? Can I just pop each side off and on whole, complete with spindle and brake drum?

This looks fairly easily doable in a day, I want to say 3hrs so realistically probably closer to 6. Reasonable?

I appreciate the input and help guys
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get the arms on the torsion leaves as a unit, you would be so lucky, you had better buy a lottery ticket as well. Probably the hardest part and most time consuming is to get the trailing arms back on. Since the torsion bar is actually a set of leaves, they sometimes like to move around which makes getting the arms on a real PITA. I use a bunch of rubber bands wrapped around the leaves really tight. For my self, this seams to be the best method. You'll also want to get one of these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-forged-ball-joint-separator-99849.html

That way you don't tear the ball joint boot. Usually HF tools aren't too good, but I've done two front ends with this tool, and it seems to be holding up. You will also need a large Allen wrench, to get out the grub screws.
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
76VDubya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windfish wrote:

Question - Since the torsion arms appear to pop right off, is there any need to mess with my (relatively new) balljoints? Can I just pop each side off and on whole, complete with spindle and brake drum?

The torsion arms will slide off as a pair (remove the grub screws/nuts, then use a BFH and a wood block to tap them out), but I never tried putting them back on that way. I would say that it's probably doable though. You will have to at least remove the sway bar clamps on one side, both bottom shock mounting nuts (the top too, if you plan on re-using your shocks), the tie rod ends on both spindles, and loosen the steering coupler.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

76VDubya wrote:
windfish wrote:

The torsion arms will slide off as a pair (remove the grub screws/nuts, then use a BFH and a wood block to tap them out), but I never tried putting them back on that way. I would say that it's probably doable though.

Trust me on this one, don't try. Let's say you are one in a million, great. However, if you are like the typical person, it ain't going to work. Now you have all of these semi-heavy, awkward pieces flopping around that you have to separate. It is FAR easier to do it the right way, and separate everything separately BEFORE you remove the beam. Then switch beams, and reassemble. You do want to leave the drums and tie rods on the spindles though. I have swapped out quite a few beams, between lowering bugs, and raising them (oFf Road) and it is just plain easier this way.
My builds
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
Thanks all.
The rust hasn't eaten into the tube, it just got the support.
The camera flash made the inside look worse than it does in person, but it does show off the rather nice rust holes.

76VDubya wrote:

Great link, was looking for something like that, thanks!

Parts list wise,
Beam (stock) - (link)
Bolts - (link)
(lock washers?)

Swaybar clamps - (link)
Body pad, upper (x2) - (link)
Body pad, lower (x2) - (link)

I guess one of these too
Shock mounting kit (x2) - (link)
...or the shock comes with the kit (x2)- (link)
Current front shocks are ... well, they're white. afaik they function, but the top mount rubber is cracked. Leaning towards the new shocks.

Also might get the retaining screws and nuts since they're relatively cheap..
Mounting screws (x6) - (link)
Mounting nuts (x6) - (link)

Anyone know if that stock beam comes with the grease zerks?
Otherwise I guess I need 4 - (link)

...plus the tie rod removal tool
That about cover it?

This looks fairly easily doable in a day, I want to say 3hrs so realistically probably closer to 6. Reasonable?

I appreciate the input and help guys

Seriously. I'd stay away from those Torsion arm seals,
lower (x2) - (link)

Reuse your old ones or get these they have the metal in them

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16%2D131%2D129%2DOE
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up picking up a new Kustom1 rebuilt beam off craigslist, still wrapped for shipping. Apparently the guy sold his bug before getting around to putting it in (?).
He let it go for a reasonable price, and I didn't have to wait a couple weeks for the new beam to come in, then assemble it.

German beam with the adjusters welded in (3" drop)

I don't really care about the adjusters, but I don't guess having 'em hurts any.
Got it installed over the weekend, wasn't too bad just took a while.
Picked up a tool similar to what Multi69s recommended, worked great.

I do have a quick question on the adjustability
This is how it came set:

I was thinking that all the way 'down' (with the adjustment bolt backed all the way out) was the lowest wheel position.
Is that correct?
It seems like the front of my car is sitting a little lower than it was (maybe?), how far do these generally adjust?

Did run into an issue with the swaybar, apparently I installed it too low and the towbar couldn't clear. I took it off this morning before taking the bug over to have an alignment, will try again...
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the lower the screw, the lower the car. Be sure to tighten both screws and lock nuts afterwards.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: