Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Decoupler indicator switch hanging up
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Decoupler indicator switch hanging up Reply with quote

Hey all,
So i have a fairly new decoupler and the indicator switch in the decoupler hose cone is hanging up on the operating shaft the engages and disengages the 4wd. In other words when I engage the decoupler, the vacuum actuator will not push the rod in. If i back out the indicator switch, it engages just fine but no dash light. So it seems to me that the switch itself is whats keeping the decoupler from working. But the wierd thing is the indicator will not light up the dash console when its back out of the housing enough to let the decoupler engage. If i screw it in further, pull the knob the light lights up, but the shaft will not fully engaged 4wd. I tried taking the switch out all the way and squirting some lube on the shaft but no help. With the switch all the way out the 4wd works perfectly but no light,. So does this seem like the switch itself is faulty or what? I tried to reinstall the switch using a couple of washers and can get a sweet spot to where it engages in 4wd and the light lights up, but as soon as i start driving the light goes out but stays in 4wd. Then if it push the dash knob in the light comes back on for a second then goes out as the 4wd disengages. I am really getting frustrated here as I want all components to work as they should. Any thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MR GAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm.. Sounds like your servo cant over come the spring in the switch? maybe a weak servo? kinked line?
everything worked very smooth. I did shim the switch out with a thicker seal ing gasket.
Which decoupler brand do you have?
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR GAS wrote:
hmmmm.. Sounds like your servo cant over come the spring in the switch? maybe a weak servo? kinked line?
everything worked very smooth. I did shim the switch out with a thicker seal ing gasket.
Which decoupler brand do you have?

Hey greg,
Its a van cafe decoupler. I found out yesterday that the indicator switch is actually a reverse switch with an adapter on it. Seems like gowesty sells these as a less expensive option for decoup diff lock indicator switch. Anyways the tension from the spring inside the switch itself is over 4 pounds to activate the switch. Thats a lot of tension for the servo rod to open and close. That i belive is whats causing the hangup. With the switch out, the rod slides effortlessly with minimal vacuum. With the switch slightly installed the rod now gets hung up. Anyways I spoke with Peter at VC yesterday he is going to investigate this more for me with his decoupler builder to see what the issue is. In any event I order another indicator switch that is for a diff lock, not the reverse light switch kind, and i will see if there is a tension difference in the spring inside the switch itself. I presume there will be. I will report back my findings in case this should happen down the road to someone else using this style of indicator switch
And thanks for getting the trans back Greg, its already installed and driving smooth!
Jason
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: