Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Deep Philosophical Question re: Keeping it Stock
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where do you fall on the keep-it-stock continuum?
Bone Stock
10%
 10%  [ 11 ]
Improved Stock
27%
 27%  [ 29 ]
Reversible Modification
45%
 45%  [ 48 ]
Radical Modification
16%
 16%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 106

Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal Twister wrote:
… Back before the latest financial hit I was building long travel off road cars. A seriously modified LS1 vw thing which is basically a very nice off road race car or sand buggy with a thing body on it for about $50,000 in this economy ...

Is this your work? I saw this car at Off Road Unlimited in Burbank a few years ago.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
Metal Twister wrote:
… Back before the latest financial hit I was building long travel off road cars. A seriously modified LS1 vw thing which is basically a very nice off road race car or sand buggy with a thing body on it for about $50,000 in this economy ...

Is this your work? I saw this car at Off Road Unlimited in Burbank a few years ago.

No, and why are there no videos of that thing in action except the one of him chirping the tires out of the driveway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apqBbc7-Jhw

But with that said it is basically the same thing, only instead of us building the body we would fit it with a Thing body kinda making it street legal. LOL If you could buy the panels and they came with a pink slip and registered for the street I would probably go that way. LOL But at this time Im just going to get it on the road and drive it the way it is... Especially with the price of gas going where I think it will be going here very soon.

Here are a couple of our older models, the first was our Pre runner style and the second was the sand car style. The Pre runner car we built as a SDORC raffle car in 08. All the different manufactures donated their parts to raise funds for the San Diego Off Road Coalition. When things took a dump financially I jumped back into the Hot Rod World where the money wasn't coming from refinancing the house. LOL

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. Very Happy

Metal Twister wrote:
… But with that said it is basically the same thing, only instead of us building the body we would fit it with a Thing body kinda making it street legal. LOL

I have mixed feelings on the issue. As I said, I support your right to do whatever you like with your Thing. It makes me a little bit sad however that if you just want to dress up a pre-runner with sheet metal for the sake of a VIN that a Thing must be sacrificed for that task.

Best of luck with your project. If the same high level of craftsmanship is applied to it as to your other work, I'd love to see pictures of the outcome.
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record.... Been there, done that! My long travel car days are well behind me and I have no intent of doing that to the Thing that I have now. I just happen to fall into your fourth categories of beliefs that anything goes modification wise. That way of thinking is in my DNA and I have no control over it! LOL

I'm actually looking forward to keeping my thing more VW than not. I will cut in a additional fuel filler door for the second tank, add a winch, as well as a new roll cage but that is about it. I have dirt cars and I'm finding that having just turned 60 years old I'm getting in less in a hurry to get places... and the ego was satisified years ago. Rolling Eyes This VW motor will be just fine for my likes and needs. Id like to explore some of the local VDub clubs and still be able to fit in some what. Very Happy Im also still into desert riding on my Yamaha 450F. Im curious to see if I can trailer it to the desert via the Thing. I have some ideas as far as a 5th wheel style trailer that will attach to the top of the cage for better off road ability and load distribution. This Thing is just for fun and not a money making deal for me... So have fun, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JLSylvester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought my Thing for $250. The guy I bought it from didn't know anything about VWs. There are no floors in it; I plan on fabricating my own. Will it look stock, no. Will I care, no. I also plan on putting a Diesel engine in it, and bigger more aggressive looking tires. So I think I'm in #3.5.

I appreciate the whole spectrum from stock to barely a Thing. Does that mean that I would want to own every one, no. How come our society is turning into one in which if you don't want what someone else has then that automatically means you must hate what they have. I can appreciate what you have without wanting it for myself.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: