Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig- hard time finding Tp parts
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Bostig- hard time finding Tp parts Reply with quote

I can't seem to find the Airtex 1T1008 Coolant temp sender and the Standard Motor products Coolant level sensor FLS38 where did you find these, Rock Auto has neither.
Also what are the part numbers for the FORD thermostat Housing spacer Gasket and Thermostat 0-ring
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig- hard time finding Tp parts Reply with quote

Bassyaks wrote:
Coolant level sensor FLS38

Check doc updates
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig- hard time finding Tp parts Reply with quote

Bassyaks wrote:
I can't seem to find the Airtex 1T1008 Coolant temp sender and the Standard Motor products Coolant level sensor FLS38 where did you find these, Rock Auto has neither.
Also what are the part numbers for the FORD thermostat Housing spacer Gasket and Thermostat 0-ring

The Standard Motor Products FLS38 is NLA, Bostig now uses SMP, FLS-3

The Coolant Temp Sender is ECT brand, part #049919501
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading is fundamental...especially all Bostig updates Exclamation

Somewhere there is a spreadsheet with all accurate part numbers on it for the kit after it went to RG.

I found what I needed from another source, I was not impressed by Rockauto one bit.

There are also threads that show installs...with upgraded parts.
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a current updated manual and a parts list, seeing that maybe a dozen kits are done at a time. You shouldn't have to look in 3 different places ( videos, manual, website) on how to assemble the conversion.
Rock Auto is the Amazon of car parts, you don't know where there coming from , and how long they have been sitting in the warehouses.
May local NAPA guy is a customer of mine and he can match or beat any of Rock Autos prices and I can have it that afternoon, and no shipping.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Rock Auto...I'm doing valve stem seals on a '90 Golf engine. Dude brings seals he bought off of RA for that engine. Turns out they're for an '87 Renault Alliance. I think RA essentially peddles stuff they bought from warehouse/parts store closure auctions

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassyaks wrote:
There should be a current updated manual and a parts list, seeing that maybe a dozen kits are done at a time. You shouldn't have to look in 3 different places ( videos, manual, website) on how to assemble the conversion.

Its one dude right now brah, cut him some slack Very Happy Besides, imagine if they updated the manual every single time a change occurred, the amount of versions floating around would cause some serious havoc.

The videos though were pretty helpful in understanding what the manual was talking about.
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One guy or 10 , there are 13 updates some from RG2 they're on RG7 now, how long does it take to amend the manual, hell, the manual is on-line, you go in and correct it and it's done.
If I'm in the shop I don't want to be running back and forth to my computer in the house. In your mind I should do a search to make sure EVERY step hasn't been revised.
They may have a great product Very Happy , but there is an area that needs attention.
This makes a weekend job last 3 weeks trying to get the correct parts.
thasty07 you make my point exactly,
Quote:
Besides, imagine if they updated the manual every single time a change occurred, the amount of versions floating around would cause some serious havoc.
So lets not make the revisions and wait for the customer to question the procedure. I would think that the Havoc would be better placed with the builder rather than the customer.
I'm in the same position that Jim is in , offering a high dollar conversion kit for a product, that is constantly changing. I know what he's up against, I'm doing it daily.
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassyaks wrote:

If I'm in the shop I don't want to be running back and forth to my computer in the house. In your mind I should do a search to make sure EVERY step hasn't been revised.

One, you shouldnt run in a shop, you could trip and hurt yourself Shocked

And two, if your print ALL the updates than its really a non issue. If you did what I did. Take said PDF, with ALL the updates, to staples, have them print you a nice little book... wait for it, and ATTACH all the updates.

Now you have said conversion manual in the van at all times for reference when your not able to walk carefully at a steady pace to your computer to check the manual.

I get your point and an updated version would be awesome, but if thats the biggest headache of the whole thing is flipping between pages. Ill take it!
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual can't be updated, it's in.pdf, and the guy with the originals left with them.

With so much variation between the van models, it's tough to say "here's your complete buying list".

I find Rock Auto quick and reliable, but pay attention to what you're buying. i.e. one $3 part was $27 shipping, I cancelled that and got it off Ebay.

bassysaks, did you find a zetec? I found some good ones if you still need it.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
The manual can't be updated, it's in.pdf, and the guy with the originals left with them.

Sort of off topic, but they very much can be, though it's not perfect. There are several PDF to .doc converters available, and Acrobat Pro can edit PDFs directly for small changes.

Robyn
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, I actually have 3 now, I did pick up that 4,000 mile motor in Oakville, the guy was kind of a dick, he told me the price and I headed down there (2.5hr) to get it and he tells me he can't get at it as it was blocked by another repair job, then he tells me the intake manifold and timing covers are gone, along with all of the accessories. He says he can take the parts off another motor (no charge ,Gee) but he can't do it today, I asked him how much and he says "he has to get $700 for it", I said $500 and he goes "No, they have to get 7" , I asked him if he wanted to sell it or not? and started toward the door, then said $500 and no accessories. They loaded it in the Tintop for $500.
One of the other motors is getting a Turbo, after I have one of the Transaxles built to absorb the extra power.

thasty07 How hard would it be to clip and paste , and to put the manual in working order, there is no order of assembly, there is no transition from one step to another , it doesn't flow, so your jumping from one step to a completely different step.

I read it and made notes then threw the friggin thing away, I'm free styling it. Maybe I'll write up a manual, and summit it to Jim.

Guys I'm anal about this stuff , time is very valuable in my situation, so don't take this as a trash on Bostig, their product looks top notch and performs the same way,
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got your motor, I hate dealing with guys who act that way.

I'd edit the manual if there's a way to do it. My problem following the instructions was in not knowing the names of things, and not having a mechanical background. Now I get it.

All the notes I leave on the Bostig website are to help those who come after me.
(and here on Samba....)

I'd love to read the subaru conversion manual, but they all seem to cost a lot of money. If my friend doing a subi buys one, I'll have to borrow it when he's done. His 2.2 is coming out and a 2.5 is going in now, that project is going on forever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bostig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For starters, BassYaks is right. All of the info *should* be in one place, and be updated. But this is subjective. Compared to anything else, it already is... but it's still a pain to have to read through the 12-13 updates I have there (which I would suggest reading first). Then looking through the manual.

The reason I haven't updated the manual is that every time I've tried, I completely break it, and I mean BREAK it... I really hate MS word for anything big like this. It needs to be completely re-done, from scratch, and parred down and updated. However... I pick my battles. NOBODY from any of the last groups has failed as a result of the state of docs not being how I'd like them to be. In fact hundreds HUNDREDS of people have completed successfully with them... BUT people want power, and purchase inferior conversion options thinking they are leaving power on the table and getting the same reliability and maintainability/cost effectiveness etc... so my priority is on power adders over the docs. You can absolutely complain about that, and I listen. I always do, and I make adjustments. But the bottom line ALSO is that this "machine" that makes the machines of a business needs to be strong overall to make sure it doesn't go away in the process. I've outlived 2-3 competitors in the time I've been doing this, and that's not luck.

So to sum up, I'm sincerely sorry about the state of the docs... and that it's taking more of your time than it could. I'm also sorta proud of the docs, and if a better set of equivalent docs exists for another conversion, point me too them, I want to be the best.

In the meantime, let me know if you have questions, I just tried calling you before I even came to thesamba this morning and saw this to let you know I shipped your missing bits and to see if you had any other questions/issues cropping up.

As for the choice with Rockauto, you guys that are all capable and know local parts guys? That is not for you, that is for the *majority* of folks that have no idea what they are doing or looking at, and need very explicit, very simple, very fast instructions. If you can explain how they can source all of those parts in a faster, more reliably cost effective way(not everyone will get a price match, you have to know/ask typically) then let me know. The catch is, it must work for everyone regardless of what they do or do not know, and it has to be stable so as not to change very frequently. It also has to work whereever the customer happens to be, and should not require them to know anything about sourcing parts. The average price for the set of parts must meet or beat Rockauto.

Cheers, and thanks for the discussion! Negatives help development and I do not take it personally.

Jim

Last edited by bostig on Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bostig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh also.. BassYaks, or anyone... if you have docs you want to write up/re-write etc and they are useful for folks and end up better than what's there in terms of outcome, I'll happily compensate you for it.

Also just for kicks, I did the math, I've personally touched/counted/kitted/boxed more than 1/4 million components so far this year. RG6 will start kitting in Dec. Once the dust settles from this year's move of production from Ohio back to boston, I'll be able to get some part-time help for the kitting bits as they've be nailed down again. That plus the power adders being mostly done should let me turn back to docs etc. No consolation BassYaks, but there's at least a plan.

Last edited by bostig on Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will write you a Syncro manual, step by step with the Zetec prepped , than the WBX pulled, and then the Bostig installation.
Hopefully this will allow a smooth transition.
bostig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great!
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassyaks, bostig,

I'd be glad to help edit/proofread, etc in any capacity. (I'm a Mac person, and have no use for MS word, though.)

Jim,
Nice to know you're spending all of your "free" time developing power-adders! Of course I see the guy in "Road Warrior" opening the valve on a bottle of nitrous oxide, but..........
bostig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, yeah I can make a video on how to get your wife to add nitrous directly to the manifold while riding in the back seat!

Power adders have been in the works since 2006... and has taken a lot of money to develop (ie make the mistakes) but I'm really excited about the current state of things.

Thanks, I'll take you up on that. I'm going to enlist everyone's help in the next round of docs and I'm excited to see what bassyaks can kick off. It's a big benefit actually to have others eyes on this, as I know too much to be truly objective anymore. I completely miss things that are glaringly obvious as missing etc

I've talked with folks about this before in terms of the flow of things like bassyaks talks about, and the nice thing is, there is only one absolute order that is required (CKPS cup) other than that the order of ops can be moved around pretty freely.

Cheers,
Jim
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassyaks wrote:

Guys I'm anal about this stuff , time is very valuable in my situation, so don't take this as a trash on Bostig, their product looks top notch and performs the same way,

Never thought you were.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: