Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inside panel goop/glue? (fixing rattles, interior bracing)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering how the heck this thread went three pages. Now I know. Confused

So we're agreed, the OP should squeeze a nicely trimmed piece of closed cell foam into the gap and check back on it in 12 years?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just a quick update. I did end up buying some 3M 4274, found locally at my Wesco dealer. I also had to purchase a new gun for this adhesive, which added to the overall cost, but also opens the door to other cool adhesives. Overall the job went pretty smoothly. I used a 2" metal putty knife to knock out all of the old material. This exposed some rust, which initially I thought was just adhesive residue, but nope, it was rust. So I sanded that lightly, cleaned, and then applied some POR15. I was a little worried that this stuff wouldn't stick to the POR15, but it seems to have stuck well. The adhesive itself expands to only one or maybe one and a half times its size. It comes out kinda the consistency of cake frosting or chocolate moose. It's super sticky, wear gloves for sure. When it cures it's like a very dense foam. Most importantly, it definitely worked to remove all of the panel rattles. We'll see how it holds up over time, but I did run the van down some rougher roads and checked and found no separations. I feel fairly confident this is an appropriate substitute for what VW had between there from the factory.

-Kevin

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here you can see the left side with 3 panel braces, the right side mirrors this. I also found failed braces in the slider and rear hatch.

Here you can see the rust.

After rust treatment

With the adhesive in place.

This is the stuff I used.
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: