Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sharing some Aircooled love
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NobyDoby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Sharing some Aircooled love Reply with quote

After reading many many topics here on the Samba, I'm getting the idea that the Aircooled Vanagon isn't getting the love and appreciation it deserves. Many believe they are slow, unreliable and can't climb a bump in the road. On top of that they are heavy drinkers. So far the believes ....

Here is my story.
Last week I went on a 700 km trip from the Netherlands to the Belgium and French Ardennes (and back). That's the place in Europe where they didn't adapt the roads to the cars ...

With an almost fully loaded Westy we did extreme U-turns, climbs of 15 tot 21% and it never came below 70km/h (in 3rd) and almost always could hold 80km/h in 4th. It never gave a glitch or lost any parts.

The first half of the trip it did 8.12km per liter on regular gasoline (19 mpg). In the Ardennes I changed my vacuum curve a little with the result that it did 8.94km per liter (21mpg) on the second half. I must admit that the last 150km were down hill or flat Very Happy

Yes I did some work to the engine but it's all finetuning and decent maintenance. No major changes.

So if you give your Aircooled Vanagon a little love it will give you a lot of Aircooled Love back. Even without breaking the bank (Very important because I'm Dutch Cool ).
Original VW CU Bus Hydro Cam w/Febi Hydro Followers
Dual Dellorto's DRLA 40 - 32 Venturi's
SyncLink Throttle System
MSS Central Airfilter
123Ignition Tune & NGK BP6ET
Vintage Speed Dual Side Super Flow Type 4 Exhaust
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you've really got that AC engine dialed in perfectly.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
NobyDoby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.
Super smooth running engine with torque over wide rpm range. Starting at 125Nm @ 1500rpm, 148Nm @ 2500rpm - 3500rpm and 125Nm @ 4500rpm. Horses peaked with 82HP @ 4300rpm.
SyncLink Throttle System
MSS Central Airfilter
Satch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report, sounds like a great trip. Good to hear the air cooled is treating you right.
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get back what you put in. I feel like more people need to learn this.
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! 82hp in an aircooler!?! That must have been big $$ for that build. My stock aircooler (67hp) does struggle with grades, especially when loaded.

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
tim3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love my aircooled..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
I have taken it everwhere.. it cruises well above 70mph on the regular and getting about 20mpg freeway.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP:

Here in most provinces and states in North America, we would not be permitted to replace the EFI with the dual Weber carbs due to emissions testing. The air-cooled engine gets additional cylinder head cooling from the evaporative cooling that carburetors provide. The Ardennes and other locations you are lucky enough to travel to are all generally much cooler climate areas than, say, Southern California, just to name one major area of Vanagon Westfalia vehicles. You also have much better fuel quality in Western Europe, especially higher octane petrol, which allows a tune with higher compression ratio and a more aggressive spark advance curve or map. In short, those locations are where the air-cooled engines experience ideal operating conditions.

Over here, the fuel, ambient heat, OEM design features (like EGR, very lean AFR in the EFI system), lower quality gasoline, and the high speed expectations of freeway travel all conspire to make the air-cooled Vanagon experience a short-lived and slow one. It is truly shocking how much difference ambient temperatures can make to the air-cooled Vanagon.

Your torque and horsepower figures are excellent! Could you share more of the details of your build for those brave enough over here to try a performance 2.0 AC build?
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharing some Aircooled love Reply with quote

NobyDoby wrote:
Even without breaking the bank (Very important because I'm Dutch Cool ).

This is the best thing I've read on the internet today! This post makes me want an orange Bay Window Westfalia with your same motor.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
NobyDoby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My setup:
    - untouched shortblok (original hydraulic CU cam) because this was already overhauled by previous owner
    - new AMC heads with stock (39/33) valves (because the originals were cracked and valve guides came out by themselves)
    - completely disassembled new AMC heads, checked all parts (all OK and within specs), only gave the valveguides a bit more clearance (too tight)
    - ported heads and manifolds and reworked combustion chamber around the valves
    - reworked valve and valve seats (3 angle)
    - compression ratio to 8:1
    - new valve train geometry with new pushrods and Porsche swivel feet adjusters
    - short CSP manifolds (To let it all fit under the decklid)
    - Dellorto's DRLA 40 with 32 venturi's with vacuum connections (because the original Solex's where leaking all over the place and one housing was severely cracked)
    - velocity stacks
    - original heat exchangers
    - Vintage Speed exhaust
    - MSS Central Airfilter (Expensive, not absolutely needed, but takes the breathing noiselevel down and looks cool Cool )
    - 123Ignition Tune distributor (with vacuüm connection) + Bosch spark plug wires + NGK BP6ET
    - Dellorto's and distributor finetuned on rolling road
    - Vacuum curve finetuned during last 2000km

Some pics and info can be found here: http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=143948 posted under the same name.
SyncLink Throttle System
MSS Central Airfilter
THE KESZTHELY KID
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Sharing some Aircooled love Reply with quote

Hiya Nobyd,

I just took a look at your link on ShopTalkForums.com and you have a Pant Wettingly stunning looking engine there.
I doff my hat to you.

DANK U for making me smile

Daily Driver - 2017 Renault Captur - Automatic
NobyDoby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Sharing some Aircooled love Reply with quote

You're welcome! Happy to have made somebody smile.

Or in Dutch: Graag gedaan! Fijn om iemand een glimlach te kunnen geven.
SyncLink Throttle System
MSS Central Airfilter
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWinVT wrote:
Wow! 82hp in an aircooler!?! That must have been big $$ for that build. My stock aircooler (67hp) does struggle with grades, especially when loaded.

Doesn't actually take that much if you can do the work yourself.

I built a 140HP 2.2L aircooled Type-4 when my first one died. All in it was about $2000 to use almost totally new parts. The cases and the heads were the only parts reused and the heads were totally rebuilt.

Now I can keep up with my VW club's Subie swapped rigs and still makes that aircooled sewing machine noises all at 27MPG at climbing grades at 60+!
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
To the OP:

Here in most provinces and states in North America, we would not be permitted to replace the EFI with the dual Weber carbs due to emissions testing. The air-cooled engine gets additional cylinder head cooling from the evaporative cooling that carburetors provide. The Ardennes and other locations you are lucky enough to travel to are all generally much cooler climate areas than, say, Southern California, just to name one major area of Vanagon Westfalia vehicles. You also have much better fuel quality in Western Europe, especially higher octane petrol, which allows a tune with higher compression ratio and a more aggressive spark advance curve or map. In short, those locations are where the air-cooled engines experience ideal operating conditions.

Over here, the fuel, ambient heat, OEM design features (like EGR, very lean AFR in the EFI system), lower quality gasoline, and the high speed expectations of freeway travel all conspire to make the air-cooled Vanagon experience a short-lived and slow one. It is truly shocking how much difference ambient temperatures can make to the air-cooled Vanagon.

Your torque and horsepower figures are excellent! Could you share more of the details of your build for those brave enough over here to try a performance 2.0 AC build?

Actually not true! You can replace your EFI with carbs in a lot of states as long as you can still meet emissions standards for your year(I BELIEVE California is the only state you can't). I ran around with carbs on mine when I first built it because the stock EFI couldn't handle my big cam and passed emissions fine. I'm BACK to EFI with Megasquirt because EFI is better. But not because of any legal issues.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharing some Aircooled love Reply with quote

Here in British Columbia, back in 2015, there was no way that a carbureted type 4 engine would have passed our strict emissions testing standards. But that is now history since our province has ended all emissions testing several years ago. I consider that decision to have been a poor one. The reasoning was that the new crop of internal combustion engines featured impressive emissions performance.

But since emissions testing ended here in BC, there are now so many (mainly younger) folks in new or nearly-new cars they have "tuned" by removing the Cat, installing aftermarket exhaust systems, and re-flashing their tunes. Driving behind these cars leaves you sucking awful choking fumes that could easily be cleaned up with CAT converters.

And don't get me started on the Diesel Dudes rolling coal with plumes so thick you can't even see through them. (They think this is amusing and establishes their "rebel" cred. Rolling Eyes )

Way back when emissions controls started in the late 1960's (with air pumps, reduced compression ratios and other primitive first steps to abate smog), there were real issues with the smog-engineered cars. They lost power, drivability, fuel mileage and even engine life in some instances. But today's EFI and direct injection engines make tons of power, are smooth, get great fuel mileage, and do all that with very low emissions - - until some A-hole decides to "improve" his new pickup by removing all that engineering and basting other drivers with his exhaust plume.

Okay, rant over.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoEverywhere wrote:
Howesight wrote:
To the OP:

Actually not true! You can replace your EFI with carbs in a lot of states as long as you can still meet emissions standards for your year(I BELIEVE California is the only state you can't). I ran around with carbs on mine when I first built it because the stock EFI couldn't handle my big cam and passed emissions fine. I'm BACK to EFI with Megasquirt because EFI is better. But not because of any legal issues.

Unless your carb can meet and provide all emissions control functions of the FI system, it is a Federal crime to do this conversion for a vehicle on public highways in any State

The criteria is the replacement has to meet the same emission tests the manufacturer used to certify the car , not your States’ emissions testing
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Sharing some Aircooled love Reply with quote

Book him, Danno.

Better keep your eye on me too.

GoEverywhere, would you share your parts list for the build?

Once my stock rebuilt is in, I want to adulterate the old engine the way you did.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
GoEverywhere wrote:
Howesight wrote:
To the OP:

Unless your carb can meet and provide all emissions control functions of the FI system, it is a Federal crime to do this conversion for a vehicle on public highways in any State

The criteria is the replacement has to meet the same emission tests the manufacturer used to certify the car , not your States’ emissions testing

At least here on Oregon where I am those emissions tests are amount of CO and amount of hydrocarbons emitted out the tail pipe along with a visual inspection for catalytic converter, EGR, and evap system if equipped from factory.

As long as I can meet the same emissions requirements it had and not remove the evap, EGR, and cat I can pass with carbs fine. I *DID* pass with carbs fine.
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Sharing some Aircooled love Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Book him, Danno.

Better keep your eye on me too.

GoEverywhere, would you share your parts list for the build?

Once my stock rebuilt is in, I want to adulterate the old engine the way you did.

Gonna make me go dig out my build list huh?

Ok, here goes.
Stock type-4 cases. Already had a set so no extra cost.
76mm stroker crank from aircooled.net $749.95
QSC 96mm cylinder/piston set $238.00
reused the stock rods. Free
Stock type 4 heads cut for Porsche 914 size valves... Already had the heads. I think it was $200 at the machine shop to clean them up and install the bigger valves?
Scat C25 Camshaft $142
Scat Camshaft Gear $75
Crank bearings $22
Cam bearings $13
New pushrod tubes $36(Could have reused the old ones, but this was easier)
Vintage Speed headers $363
Engine Gasket Set $25
I reused the factory intakes, plenum, throttle body, and fuel injectors.
I had a friend with a Megasqurt2 he sold me for $100 but this would be about $350 if you had to buy another
Dubshop Crank Trigger kit: $160
IGN-4VW Coil Pack: $60.

Probably missing a few bobs and ends off that list, but thats my build at current prices. Looks like a few things have gone up since a few years ago when I built it.

That puts the total there at $2358 accounting for having to buy a new Megasquirt vs getting a deal like I did.

Thats good for 140 flywheel HP at 2200cc and a much nicer ride than stock power!

Last edited by GoEverywhere on Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Sharing some Aircooled love Reply with quote

Thank you! I kinda like the heat exchangers though. Did you give up being warm for the headers?
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: