Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does it Exist?!? Odd Year Turn Signal
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Does it Exist?!? Odd Year Turn Signal Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am after this part!!! It is totally different than the 74+ setups! I cannot find it anywhere, does anyone know of such things existing??? Share with me good news! Does not have to be NOS, but I'll take what I can get. I'm searching far and wide. Thank you in advance folks! 1974 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on that one. This is the part number you are looking for.
211 953 509 H VW Bus 5 wire turn signal switch 73-74
The SWF (the manufacturer's) part number is HLS 201 096
Good luck
Tcash
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems as if this particular setup was only used for the tier end of 73 and a couple months in early 74. Doing electrical inspection and tracing, I noticed the entire plastic casing inside with the Actuator is completely busted, assuming from use. I live in Arkansas, where folks do not use turn signals, but I do have respect for others, and want to protect my bay in every circumstance, so the search for the part continues.
Thanks for the info Tim, still wish you had it for sale Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MattJay1991
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was temperamental, the turn signals worked but the high beam didn't. I took it apart to try and fix it but I was unable to.

By sheer luck I managed to find a guy who had got a NOS one. But i struggled before then.

I've still got what's left of my old one, not sure if the parts would be of any use to you to try and fix yours?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,
I haven't really torn it apart, my issue is evident without the need of opening up the housing. Removing the steering column housing that goes around it, I noticed looking at the back where the soldered wires are visible that the plastic square part that the arm pivots in has cracked in the center, as you can see in the photo. I feel a little better knowing now, I'm not the only one trouble by this rarity.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thing is just snapped right in half.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take it apart, take out the broken piece, glue it, and take it to be 3D printed.
OR, maybe, that particular piece is the same in other years.
or is this still available? http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=67357&start=0
or this? http://www.evamclassic.com/split-bus/groep-9,-elektra/53.-richting-aanwijzers/p-1/
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome leads Alman, I'm trying to figure a way to contact the gentleman (vwed) on earlybay.com without joining the site. Anyone a member willing to be a messenger for me? I'd like to contact him to see if he indeed still has it available. Looks promising, if he still has it.
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you contact http://bustedbus.com/
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Convoy,
I emailed them after you mentioned them, good looking out, though I am in luck. They do have one...buuutttt, take a breathe, they want $329.00 before shipping! Used! Whoa!!!! Like really, I understand the part being a rarity, but cmon, I thought BustedBus was cooling than that!
Well with that new info, and grateful they responded to my email, and quickly as they did, I'll have to continue to search elsewhere!
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
take it apart, take out the broken piece, glue it, and take it to be 3D printed.
OR, maybe, that particular piece is the same in other years.
or is this still available? http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=67357&start=0
or this? http://www.evamclassic.com/split-bus/groep-9,-elektra/53.-richting-aanwijzers/p-1/

Or if you could glue the cracked piece and then make a silicone mold and make a replacement piece with some resin. Might cost you $30 and you would have lots left over to make other stuff.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a NOS one from Germany a couple of years ago - not cheap but I wouldn't expect a rare part sitting on a shelf for 40 year old to be cheap. There are NOS switches still available in Europe if you have a look and are prepared to pay enough:

http://www.aircooled-museum.com/achat-t2-72-74-turn-signal-switch-21738.html

http://have-a-nice-bay.nl/product_info.php?products_id=4029
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, does anyone know if that cracked piece is the same in an early or late bay switch? just swap the broken piece? I understand that the switch of the OP is different, but HOW different?
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
so, does anyone know if that cracked piece is the same in an early or late bay switch? just swap the broken piece? I understand that the switch of the OP is different, but HOW different?

I know its different in my 79 and the parts would not be interchangeable.
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the exact same one in my 74. Knowing how rare and expensive these are to replace I might have to watch the young kids more carefully as they yank and switch it back and forth while playing in the drivers seat Shocked Shocked
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a hold of Ken at Busco.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Feedback guys, greatly appreciated. I do understand the expense of a vintage item, one rare at that. 160 euros isn't too bad, roughly $200 shipped. That's manageable for a NOS SWF item. I was just dumbfounded by BustedBus, as I've talked with the guys a handful of times, and they seem very cool and down to earth, but we all have bills to pay and hobbies to pursue, nonetheless so be it. Not speaking bad of the guys, again very nice folks. Looks like I'm going to be sending some dinero across the pond.

Convoy, now you know. Guard it with your life! haha Or let it go and say the hell with using turn signals, like the rest of the schmucks down here, you can tell they're turning when the give you the "get out of my damn way look with their eyes" once you're close enough to see their faces Laughing
Cheers guys!
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last place to check. It's close to me and they typically have what I'm looking for.

Interstate VW Junkyard
http://interstateusedparts.com/

Call them and email them a pic.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW - I would get the new one and know it will last as long as you own the bus.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sell the old one as a repairable/parts piece, to get back some of that hard earned money. or, if you a typical bus guy, put in in the parts stash just in case
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad thing about turn signals is they are not really repairable... you can't really do any soldering on the assembly whatsoever or the platic just melts before you can even flow the solder. I ruined an old bug signal switch trying to fix it once and I can't ever really recommend trying to repair one.. Nice to see you've got an NOS headed your way. I'll be passing through LR Sunday night on the way to Texas - do you drive your bus around town?
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: