Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight dimmer issue
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Headlight dimmer issue Reply with quote

Headlight dimmer stopped working-I initially replaced turn signal switch with a new one made by Meyle did not fix problem. I then checked continuity at the brown/white wire of relay and the tabs that contact each other when you activate dimmer at the turn signal switch-I get continuity at each side of tabs depending on whether or not I'm activating it or not. Thinking the relay was being triggered and just not working I then replaced the relay with a BWD unit from Oreilly's-still doesn't work-I get power to the high beam side of relay and therefore-high beams but can't switch on low beams-wiring appears to be all stock not hacked. I tested with key on and key off. What do you wiring experts think I should check next?-thank you! Oh yeah-wires hooked up like this-S=brown/white, 56=white/black, 56A=white, 56B=yellow
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 4 labeled terminals on the dimmer relay.

"56" is the white/black wire from the headlight switch.
"56a" (sometimes labeled "F") is the white wire (through the fuse panel) for the high beams.
"56b" is the yellow wire (through the fuse panel) for the low beams.
"S" is the brown/white (indicating a switched ground) to the dimmer switch.

When terminal "S" makes momentary contact with ground, the relay should click, and alternatively connect 56 to 56a or 56b.

If you can make the dimmer relay work by grounding terminal S, look to the dimmer switch and it's wiring.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/181_Wiring_Diagram_4-73.pdf

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay cool beans I will check that next-thanks I will check tomorrow and post what happens
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so I grounded the S terminal on the dimmer relay and in doesn't switch from high/low beams. I noticed that the #56 (white/black) power wire from switch is getting hot to the touch-it is providing power though. Tomorrow I am going to try and trace all the wiring from the switch/relay to make sure everything is hooked up correctly. Any other suggestions would be great.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=619042&highlight=headlight+switch+wiring
I read through this and to complicate matters my headlights go on without the key being turned on I have a 73 Thing-no jumper wire- appears to be the original switch but not completely sure
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bench test the relay, if you didn't hear a click. By grounding the brown/white wire you already bypassed the switch. So no need to check it. I have a good OEM relay you can have. The new relays are not very good. PM me if you want to try a good relay. But I would also check for bad grounds. The relay likes good grounds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm sent-Thank You!
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The relay works with a jumper wire between 30 & 56 so I guess it is technically not set up correctly but useable-thanks for the help everybody!
ohhhgeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THINGONER wrote:
The relay works with a jumper wire between 30 & 56 so I guess it is technically not set up correctly but useable-thanks for the help everybody!

I just jumped #56 and #30 and it fixed my dimmer relay problem. Thanks for sharing this fix!
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok great! your welcome
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: