Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What color shift shaft would you like?
Raw aluminum
26%
 26%  [ 18 ]
Black
65%
 65%  [ 45 ]
Brown
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
Other??? email me/post below
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 69

ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Neil...You get it? Nice

furrylittleotter wrote:
So everyone wants it longer, black and with a little curve?

I get it.

Neil2 Cool
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these could be cast for about 25 each with the square base...pm me.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will this shifter work on 1980/ aircool tranny? thanks

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rsfabparts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about the earlier 83' shifter setup..pm me and we can talk. Really I just need some photos..I have been working on a solution to that.
Txags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to play with one of these shifters today. Very nice! Can't wait to put it thru its paces.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!

I finally mounted my shifter today,received last saturday: I'm off from work with a sprained neck lurking at that piece of art waiting to be mounted, but I can't stay home doing nothing, so I went doing easy mechanic instead Razz

Packaging was extremely thoughtful and sturdy.

The shifter in itself is a piece of machined art , with extreme attention to detail. I think there's also a tiny zerk fitting/greaser at the base too, but it's so small, I'm not sure it's actually one but it seems like it has a sprung ball.

The knob feels very masculine, it's nice for people like me that have rough hands Laughing

As far as the color, I'm a little disappointed there was no color chart because I actually wanted and asked for dark brown chocolate like the 1985 dashboards, but instead got milk chocolate color.
Luckily it matches my door panels, so it's not bad at all retrospectively.
Color chart would be a nice addition to the website and would help in selling Cool

First off, removing the shifter box. Don't be in a rush like me and work smart: measure the distance from the floor to the bolt to adjust the new shifter.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The short end is driver's side

I didn't measure on the van which would have been easier to work with, so now I'm measuring what I can: 100 to 102mm from plate to bolt.

Original shifter: short end goes driver's side.

Visualizing the proper angle for the shifter.

The supplied M6x1.00 allen bolts are over kill: Class 12.9 Shocked
I replaced them with stainless steel to stay shiny all over.

Put them through the floor plate. Too bad the bolts for the cup are non metric, but honestly, it only bothers me with my anti-imperial hardware OCD Laughing Laughing

Install the shifter assembly on the floor, add weight to hold the thing in place if like me, you work alone.

My van's a time capsule, I know nobody has ever messed with it, so I measured the original shifter box plate setting: 40mm and 38mm from center of bolt to edge.

Mounted the shifter to the linkage with the counter nut loose.

Then, pull on the shifter with one hand to access the counter nut with a 19mm wrench. Mark the shifter's angle prior to tightening it by getting behind the wheel and putting it where you want it.

Now I'm not happy with how it stays. It's too far out to the right. I'm 5'11 and my hand sits on the shifter now with my arm fully extended to reach it. The height is nice, but I think it woud need more bending towards the driver's right arm. I will put it under the hydraulic press and modify it myself.
It's as far as the original shifter from the dashboard, but is longer.
180mm from the dash.
From the ignition switch key hole, it is 380mm now vs 330mm. That's 50mm difference. (2" for you "imperial" nuts).

I cannot get it closer than that. It is actually resting against inside the shifter box on the 3th-4th path. I don't know if that'll transfer noise in the cabin, I cannot drive the van , it's a project with no license plates for now.

It shifts nicely, the throw is short and crisp. All my shifter tabs, bushings and selectors are "new" (17,000 miles from factory).

All in all an excellent product that I recommend. I always liked the original sloppy shifter with new tabs and bushings all over, but I couldn't pass on an awesome bomber piece of CNC'd shifter! I'll be used to it I'm sure. It will later fit a rebuilt Syncro transmission, it is actually used on a 4speed 091/1 tranny.

Congratulations to Ray for an awesome product VW Logo

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget

Last edited by ALIKA T3 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed write up. Photos really speaks.
A small Info needed,
My van’s floor has a slope where the lever sits(Euro spec), will this shifter work with mine? Does this lever knob thread match the OE thread(14mmT)?
Thanks for solving my doubts.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
[b]

Packaging was extremely thoughtful and sturdy.

The shifter in itself is a piece of machined art...

Yes, I agree! It's a beautiful piece and came well packaged.

However...

ALIKA T3 wrote:
[b]Now I'm not happy with how it stays. It's too far out to the right. I'm 5'11 and my hand sits on the shifter now with my arm fully extended to reach it. The height is nice, but I think it woud need more bending towards the driver's right arm. I will put it under the hydraulic press and modify it myself.

...I also agree with this. I actually have to lean forward out of the seat a bit to get it into third. I took mine back out until I can find the time to refine the bend in the shaft. I just can't drive it comfortably the way it is.

I have the short shift kit installed with my stock shifter and the throw of this new unit is ever-so-slightly longer than the short shift kit. In other words, quite a bit shorter than stock.

If the bend in the shaft can be refined, it will be a great addition.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write-up. I did mine last weekend as well. Didn't get as many shots, but mine is a driver and I had places to go. I suggested to Ray a small template to make the adjustment easier.

What is that shift knob you have on it? I am pretty happy with the big black ball.

I would like to have noticed this before I started my install, couple things you mentioned I mentioned after. Like the measurement, the marking position so the shifter is oriented right, THEN marking in some way, I managed to shift position without realizing from below, so had to unbolt the box and readjust.

Ray is great to work with, accepting suggestions and being there for guiding install if needed.

Looking forward to the video so I can critique my own install.

To Alika, how are you finishing off the floor trim? Using the original boot or showing off the beautiful CNC? I chose the latter and notice your carpet trim is the same as mine, overlap left and right and gap top and bottom. Using a good blade I trimmed sides to fit carpet flush, and used trimmed pieces to patch in the top and bottom, Used some silicone goo to set edges down, little fluffing and the seams disappeared.

I am hoping Ray or someone finds a nice dust cap to bridge the spring to cup. I really don't want the entire oem boot.
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed my shifter this weekend and agree that the shifter when oriented perpendicular to the van is too far to the right. I did have a conversation with Ray on the phone and he told me that when installing it you can "clock" the shifter meaning rotate it. so that it point more towards the driver and closer to you leg. When I have a moment I am going to make that adjustment and see how it works out. Other than that I think it is a great piece of work and goes perfect in the Syncro I put it in
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottShelley wrote:
I installed my shifter this weekend and agree that the shifter when oriented perpendicular to the van is too far to the right. I did have a conversation with Ray on the phone and he told me that when installing it you can "clock" the shifter meaning rotate it. so that it point more towards the driver and closer to you leg.

Yeah, even with it clocked as much to the left as possible, I'm still not comfortable with the position. I'm not trying to be overly critical at all. I think Ray put a lot of thought and effort into building these and he should be commended for building a solid piece. He just needs to refine the shifter position and it will be really nice.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*

Last edited by Christopher Schimke on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a Bronco that I had it had a Hurst shifter to take the shifter from the tree to the floor. That shifter sat right against my leg and drove me crazy. I adjusted it by putting it in a vice and standing on it. I think may the shaft of Rays shifter need one more bend to get it more to the left.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many will be glad we waited for a more refined product.
It looks nice, but sounds and looks like the location of the shifter is way off.

Well at least y'all got a "deal" on it.

Any word from the seller on getting the proper bend into the shaft???
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a call from Ray at RS Fab earlier this morning discussing the shifter angle. Great guy, great customer service.

Txags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
I got a call from Ray at RS Fab earlier this morning discussing the shifter angle. Great guy, great customer service.

Totally agree! He used my van as a test fit and stopped by on his way home from Bus Fest to install the shifter for me. Awesome guy!

Jason
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, cool Guy.
Any news on whether the shifters will be changed for further sales or is this it?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

narendra.vw wrote:
Thanks for the detailed write up. Photos really speaks.
A small Info needed,
My van’s floor has a slope where the lever sits(Euro spec), will this shifter work with mine? Does this lever knob thread match the OE thread(14mmT)?
Thanks for solving my doubts.

Thank you Narendra!

Thank you all too for the good words and staying positive Cool

Your raised floor is because your van was a Turbo Diesel from factory. That was to improve air flow behind the radiator so the feet wouldn't get too hot.
You probably have a 5 speed 094 transmission then. That shifter would not work for this application but I supplied a 5 speed 094 shifter from France to Ray so he could make a batch of this model. I haven't heard or seen pictures since, he's probably busy Wink

BillWYellowstone wrote:

To Alika, how are you finishing off the floor trim? Using the original boot or showing off the beautiful CNC? I chose the latter and notice your carpet trim is the same as mine, overlap left and right and gap top and bottom. Using a good blade I trimmed sides to fit carpet flush, and used trimmed pieces to patch in the top and bottom, Used some silicone goo to set edges down, little fluffing and the seams disappeared.

I am hoping Ray or someone finds a nice dust cap to bridge the spring to cup. I really don't want the entire oem boot.

The shifter knob was supplied with the kit, it is a machined flat bottom ball with a stud attached to it. The ball with the stud screws into the female thread in the shifter. It looks like Imperial threads to me. Definitely won't allow another shifter knob to be added without a conversion stud Wink
I'm going to have a rubber floor mat at some point, so I'll see how the gap is. If it looks good as is, I'm staying with the shine, although I'm sure it's gonna get aluminum corrosion at some point if I don't polish it regularly, or I will slide the boot over and call it good ...

Have a good day!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
rsfabparts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed the comments about the angle of the shifter shaft. Initially I left the angle less than original because i did not like how much room had to be clear in the front cabin area to allow it to move freely. I usually have five children, two adults travelling for long distances, which means stuff usually ends up between the two front seats. I will increase the angle of the shifter for all orders leaving from this point on. For anyone who has purchased one, I will send a replacement shaft free of charge if you are not satisfied with the angle. Please email me if you wish to receive one, [email protected]
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsfabparts wrote:
For anyone who has purchased one, I will send a replacement shaft free of charge if you are not satisfied with the angle. Please email me if you wish to receive one, [email protected]

Impressed! Great work my friend... Customer first. I like it!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, so what is the consensus, stock bend but a bit taller?

Sounds like anything is possible.

Being able to use the stock Syncro shift knob would be nice.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: