Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2 litre head; what can I do about this valve guide?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim981
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: 2 litre head; what can I do about this valve guide? Reply with quote

I need some help here please everyone. Ok, 2l motor, full strip down. Just finished soda blasting the first head and about to strip the other when I notice that one of the valves is recessed in the head. Pulled it out and the valve seat and part of the valve guide came out with it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

All I would like to know is can this damage be repaired? What are the guidelines for such a repair? Or am I now up for a replacement head?

I am trying to keep the costs down to practical levels with this rebuild. Everything else has been good so far, but this is a roadblock I can't avoid.

Cheers
James.[/img]
Jim981
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are seeing is a strong indication of the need for machine shop work. I cannot search out my threads right now, but I experienced a very similar situation. It is extremely unlikely you will be able to make repairs without a machine shop. The rest of your valves are soon to follow. Consider yourself lucky you are not disassembling an engine that is full of shrapnel. I wish I had more pleasant commentary on this, but I do not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: 2 litre head; what can I do about this valve guide? Reply with quote

Jim981 wrote:
I need some help here please everyone.
valve seat and guide.

Volkswagen originally offered oversized valve guides to allow you to clean up the bore. The rules are simple enough . . . you must meet the correct interference fit so everything remains in place.

The seat is more problematic. You won't get the correct interference fit without moving to larger valves. The fact that the seat receded means the underlying metallurgy may have relaxed/caved. This is particularly true of intake valve seat recession.

Bite the bullet, reduce your variables, get new AMC heads.
Colin
Jim981
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure I expected this to be a machinist repair. The parent material in the head is mushroomed enough to have me worried about its usability. Had been hoping to get this one repaired as I had just finished degrease/ clean/ soda blasting of its matching head.

If it ends up going to new heads, I will probably have to shelve the motor rebuild until I can afford them. Embarassed
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim981 wrote:
For sure I expected this to be a machinist repair. The parent material in the head is mushroomed enough to have me worried about its usability. Had been hoping to get this one repaired as I had just finished degrease/ clean/ soda blasting of its matching head.

If it ends up going to new heads, I will probably have to shelve the motor rebuild until I can afford them. Embarassed

Naaaah,
Hit the classifieds, shake the trees, pick up a set of decent remachined heads.
I bought a pair of 1800 heads fresh out of a machine shop for $250.00, it needed a couple of exhaust studs.

Or you can get a set of decent used heads (or an individual head that you will need to match to your good one as far as cc.s that you can send in for machine shop work. They're out there.
Colin
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say where you could find a machine shop in Australia who could do the required work, but there are likely ones there somewhere. You want a .012" interference fit between the seat an the heads when dealing with an air cooled motor verses about .004-.006" which is typical of a watercooled.
Jim981
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil bay down here is ridiculously expensive. will talk to the minister for war and finance about getting one out of the Samba classifieds. Other than that, i have a crap load to do on the bus otherwise
mnskmobi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Can't say where you could find a machine shop in Australia who could do the required work, but there are likely ones there somewhere. You want a .012" interference fit between the seat an the heads when dealing with an air cooled motor verses about .004-.006" which is typical of a watercooled.

Try Aussieveedubbers for recommendations. This thread gives a few possibilities for getting the head fixed, mainly in Melbourne.

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=108921&page=1#pid1012259
Jim981
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A huge thank you to everyone who helped out on this. Have been scanning the samba classifieds and feel alot more grounded about the pricing of a set of heads now. Will most likely grab a new set with all new valves, springs, etc. I never want my bus to be a concourse restoration, but I want it done right the first time, so I know when my family get in it to go somewhere, we will 99% off the time get there and back trouble free.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

might want to try contacting this guy: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1191

hangs out in the bug forums but he is half of the VW-resource website team. Very knowledgeable, I bet he knows everyone in AUS who can help you.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: