Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Appa Van => Subaru EJ22 Engine Conversion!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ECU needs to have IGN+, B+ and cam/crank sensor signals. You can backprobe the ECU connectors for these.Check grounds as well.
dorje
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the latest from Dr. Shiels:

Quote:
The Harness will work for any 90 to 94 EJ222 engine but you will have to be sure you have the right combination of ECU, MAFM and IAC if you are using 90/91 components.
a) For M/T configuration you need a AA56x series ECU, Aluminium MAFM AA170, and AA032 IAC with ECU pin A20- left open circuit

b) For A/T configuration you need a AA38x series ECU, Black plastic MAFM AA160, and AA050 IAC with ECU pin A20- grounded

If the ECU is getting power and has the Ground connections - it should cycle the Fuel pump even if no other items are plugged in.

I tested IGN+ and B+ with multimeter. B+ voltage does drop slightly when cranking, but in any case the ECU should be turning on the fuel pump when ignition is on. Planning to get a '91 ECU and go back to the original MAF & IAC.

What voltage should the cam/crank signals be?
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you seeing IGN+ and B+ power at the ECU with ignition ON? The cam and crank sensor signals are waveform. The can be tested at the ECU with a 12v test light that tests +/- (about $12 CAN) It will flash red/green at the ECU while cranking.

Edit: The sequence is (1) connect green test connectors (2) turn ign to ON (3) check for relays & FP clicking/priming (turning ign ON first doesn't work as I recollect)
dorje
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Tom said it was a ground. A psychic told me it was a ground. (Actually that was my wife.) The Subaru Vanagon forum said it sounds like a missing ground. But I just knew I'd tested every ground on that dang van for continuity with Battery -, unscrewed, scrubbed with the dremel, tested again.

Well, while putting in the old IACV, I dropped the 10mm socket into the engine. Crawled around looking for it, poked at the engine plugs... and lo and behold, there was a stumpy ring terminal lost amongst those big plugs, dangling there all lonely. I introduced it to my friendly neighborhood intake manifold ground wire screw. And........ it started!!! Very Happy

https://youtu.be/Am_zK2aMsbM

Had no idea whether it would actually run since this is the first engine I've ever rebuilt. What a relief!

Still need to run the VSS signal wire. I'm using GoWesty's that plugs into the speedometer. Probably would have been faster & easier to install the Hall effect sensor that goes under the wheel well, not such a long run for the wire. But the GoWesty design is pretty clean if you're comfortable splicing a couple of wires to get 12V.

Two trouble codes: 12 and 23. Odd, neither of those are VSS... So excited.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: