Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bent Smoothies
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Bent Smoothies Reply with quote

Just had 5 smoothies painted, then went to have new tires mounted. Found out two of the five would not balance due to uneven centers. Started looking for two more wheels that are straight. Found several others, but the majority seem to be bent as well. I should mention that I am having the wheel/tire spin balanced.
Just wondering if the early wheels are prone to damage. Seems to be difficult to locate straight wheels, either that or am I just having bad luck?
Thanks
Bruce
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are easily bent by careless handling, I've seen all four damaged at a tire store by apes that don't know what they are doing. Good news is bent wheels can be straightened most of the time
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can be whacked straight most of the time with a hammer, block of wood and some patience.
ALSO.. try mounting them in all 5 positions on the drum/disc.. as.. you may find its better in one place than another..
Tightening evenly in increments too..

If you want perfect.. you'll have to go aluminum..
The old VW steel wheels are not too straight (run out) right out of the box.. when they were new
Rarely is it ever noticed on these tin cans.

Forget spin balancing.. and embrace the beads..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503595

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Bent wheels Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder about Dynabeads! They just may be the ticket. Looking at the wheels as they spun on a balancing machine they definitely had a slight wobble. Maybe some beating on the inner part of the wheel and some dynabeads will solve the problem.
Bruce
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: alum stock style wide 5s? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Can be whacked straight most of the time with a hammer, block of wood and some patience.
ALSO.. try mounting them in all 5 positions on the drum/disc.. as.. you may find its better in one place than another..
Tightening evenly in increments too..

If you want perfect.. you'll have to go aluminum..

OK, here's a question for all of the seasoned VW veterans out there, did they ever make any repop alum stock style wide 5 wheels?

Quote:

The old VW steel wheels are not too straight (run out) right out of the box.. when they were new
Rarely is it ever noticed on these tin cans.

Only one of my stock ones is bent, the remaining three are in fairly decent shape, from my eyeball Mark I.
Quote:

Forget spin balancing.. and embrace the beads..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503595

74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: