Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Now What Do I Do... Flywheel Seal Groove Problem
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Now What Do I Do... Flywheel Seal Groove Problem Reply with quote

Background story: I haven't had good luck with flywheels... Confused

I was getting the flywheel ready to go on the 1679cc and thought that it could use resurfacing as it looked pretty rough so I dropped it off at the machine shop. When I picked it up they said it had been improperly surfaced before and was cut deeper on one side by something like .035" (forget the exact number) so they corrected that. I was wondering how that happened but I measured their cuts and it all checks out good now. Except that cutting .035" off one side will throw it way out of balance, when it was supposed to be perfectly balanced before. So that flywheel is useless until it's rebalanced. It's a full weight original German 12v 200mm flywheel, nothing special.

I wanted a lighter flywheel anyway so I decide to steal the 8 dowel, 10.5 pound, 6v/200mm flywheel from the 2276's parts stack and use it since it's freshly balanced and was ready to bolt on... right. Rolling Eyes I start cleaning the dust off and notice that the seal groove looks funny; I poke and prod at it and a metal ring falls out. I had had the flywheel machined for a seal groove 10 years ago and put around 45K miles on it since, then recently had it balanced with the parts for the 2276.

So now there's no groove for the flywheel seal. I've searched and found one post saying that you have to make a ring to compensate for the material a 6v F/W is missing compared to a 12v F/W. Is that correct, and that is what has come out of my flywheel's seal bore? I'd like to be able to use the flywheel, is this repairable?

Pics of the ring, and a normal flywheel for comparison.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Post that I found speaking of adding a ring.

PEPPE wrote:
HRVW wrote:
Smile The 6V 200mm flywheel did fit the end of the 1300cc crank. (bullnose)
I had converted many to fit the 1200cc 64mm crank when building a 1385cc engine (83mm BB kit).
The 6V 200mm flywheel would have to be machined to fit the 1600cc crank end. They would have to make a inside cut also for the rubber "O" ring for sealing.
Not too many people know or are aware of the procedure. I learned from a wise machine shop owner decades ago.
VW mechanic (retired)

it is easy enough to cut the grove for the flywheel, more complex is to make a correct metal ring for replacement of the missing metal in front of the oring in the flywheel. running with "half work done" causes wear to the spacers. i prefer the ring gear replacement, also because the 6v flywheel require very often the ring gear replacement.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a mess!
Don't swap flywheels. If it fits on a crank then keep it on that crank.
Measure the spacing of the dowel pins on both cranks....is it exactly the same?? NOPE

Check runout before balancing. This is done on the crank. Who is to say what part of the flywheel was wrong?? maybe the thrust surface was off. It might be worse or better. Lets hope for the best......just kidding. CHECK IT!

Looks like it's time to have this one weldmated or wedgemated. You don't need an o-ring, just a dab of sealant, but you do need a place for the thrust shims to ride.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, in that flywheel there is no chamfer on the dowel pin holes. That causes runout problems too.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it worked well for so many miles, just clean it, coat both surfaces in red locktite, and re-install the spacer. Surface may need to be reground if you can't line it up the same as it was, but that's not hard to do.

I bet.... your obsessive crank polishing tendencies will probably make that impossible to accept.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND LIGHTLY CHAMFER THE DOWEL HOLES SO THEY DONT SHEER THE PINS OFF TOO SOON.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: