Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New starter WOW
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: New starter WOW Reply with quote

So I finally bit the bullet and install the diesel starter in my 87 Westy with 2.5 subaru. WHY DIDN'T I do it sooner. I but two rebuilt gas starter and both failed.
The Diesel starter works great. Thanks for all the info from you guys
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the next generation. Ive tried to add how AWESOME this mod is to every starter thread I read.

For those of you who clicked on this and have read this far, but havent done this yet after EVER experiencing hot soak weak vanagon starter issues, ground issues etc. buy the adapter and a starter. The WORST part of this mod is you will be trying not to hear me telling you " I told you so" as you start your van EVERY time as you smile and enjoy your new age starting system.
RaraBlacksheep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was one of the first things I did to my van, and I feel like I cheated a little since I bypassed most of the various starting issues. 100% worth it if you ask me!
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with as much praise as there is, link to the explanation of the mod?

No I have not searched, as I did not know this was a thing. I'm assuming it's using a diesel starter via some sort of adapter in place of the regular starter used?

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
RaraBlacksheep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, all you have to do is remove the existing stud for the starter, then bolt the adapter and starter in place. I can't remember who makes them, I think I got mine from Westy Ventures? I believe Jay Brown is making starter relay kits with the proper sealed connector for these now too, or at least he made me one for it last year.
Toaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New starter WOW Reply with quote

You got it correct, all you need is the started adaptor and starter relay kit. It took me 2 hour on my back (i am 65 year old) on the garage.
Vinzanto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New starter WOW Reply with quote

I am interested; come on belly up let's see some links.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New starter WOW Reply with quote

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_2170_692/starter_adapter.html
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1673971
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1119534
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New starter WOW Reply with quote

Vinzanto wrote:
I am interested; come on belly up let's see some links.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=390341&highlight=starter

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=547397&highlight=starter

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=619208&highlight=starter

http://www.westyventures.com/parts.html
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New starter WOW Reply with quote

FWIW, I build these adaptors, sell them on my site, and supply some to Van Cafe and Rocky Mountain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New starter WOW Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
FWIW, I build these adaptors, sell them on my site, and supply some to Van Cafe and Rocky Mountain.

....and they look great , install easy and work AWESOME
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New starter WOW Reply with quote

Karl!!! I can't believe this. I have been to Bend, Oregon FOUR times in the last 10 weeks and it escaped me till now that you are there. Aaagh! I think I will be there one more time in a few weeks and I will call you and stop by. I can't believe it. One of the times I had half a day to putter around killing time and I spent it looking at an 84 Mercedes 300D, and a cool 75 Olds Toronado. I would have had MUCH more fun yakking with you and hanging around a shop.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: New starter WOW Reply with quote

Karl sells a great product. I have one on my daily driver tin top WBX syncro and its great. I know you are busy but I think if you made one that fits the Vanagon diesel bellhousing you would sell them. I'm tired of buying reman Bosch vanagon diesel starters for my TDI van that start to turn slow at around 6 months.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: New starter WOW Reply with quote

Don't most Subaru conversions use the Subaru starter? If so, why wouldn't the stock starter on the Subie turn over ok?
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: New starter WOW Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
Don't most Subaru conversions use the Subaru starter? If so, why wouldn't the stock starter on the Subie turn over ok?

If using the Subaru-Vanagon bell housing, yes. But many use adaptor plates to interface the engine to the Vanagon transmission.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New starter WOW Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
If using the Subaru-Vanagon bell housing, yes. But many use adaptor plates to interface the engine to the Vanagon transmission.

Yup
I have both and the adapter and TDI starter in the adapter plate conversion starts it up equally as easy as a subaru starter in the bellhousing conversion.
I even stuck Karl's adapter and TDI starter in my son's stock van because I am so happy with it.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: New starter WOW Reply with quote

I to swear by and not at My Adapter,starter and relay kit up against my 2.2 Subaru. That things starts up with the tic of the key. The only down side of this thing is that I would not use it on a poorly tuned engine , as it spins so quickly you'd probably kill a battery.
All in all ,money well spent.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: New starter WOW Reply with quote

I'd rate Karl's adapter as the best money spent on my Vanagon ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jerrydog411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New starter WOW Reply with quote

outwesty wrote:
Karl sells a great product. I know you are busy but I think if you made one that fits the Vanagon diesel bellhousing you would sell them. I'm tired of buying reman Bosch vanagon diesel starters for my TDI van that start to turn slow at around 6 months.

X2

Cheers
adv rider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New starter WOW Reply with quote

Agreed! Great upgrade, no worries anymore when hot or cold.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: