Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What are the parts worth?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustinwor
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: What are the parts worth? Reply with quote

Hello i am thinking of parting out my van as i found another one and i dont seem to have alot of intrest in it whole there are alot of unique parts on it such as insulated windows 5 speed trans europe glove box 1.6jx engine and bars ect.. Plus the westy parts do you think it will bring more money partes or as a whole
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the condition of the entire vehicle, mileage, model desirability, rust etc.
Unfortunately they often bring more money as parts than as a whole.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by what is see in your ad pictures....you are way overpriced as a whole and you may, with a lot of work, get that number if you part every last bit and scrap the chassis.

It looks like a bring a trailer and a couple hundred bucks type of van.
dustinwor
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think the bars or transmission alone would bring more than a couple hundred bucks but i guess its all what some one is willing to pay
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insulated windows...very interesting...

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
NoNameNeeded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably get more money if you part it out. That blue door makes it look real bad and will make it harder to sell. Plus you might find that you could use a few extra parts yourself for your new van....like that 5 speed.

Hank Williams
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.

$1700.00 firm or you're going to fix it up.

Pardon my honesty, but you had better break out the tools and get real busy.

It's a refugee missing parts yet !

From the pictures I saw--your about $1200.00 heavy on the wish figure.
dustinwor
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol wont hurt my feelings if it dosent sell figure a 5 speed trans is $500 engine and bars $500 windows $400 glovebox $100 look at that $1500 without trying
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made a hobby over the years of "adopting" orphaned vehicles like yours. So take this for what its worth. The trans may be worth something, but the guy interested in it may live in New Mexico - a $500 truck ride away. Ditto the windows - a guy in British Columbia is interested but not at $400 plus a $200 shipping deal.

So unless you find someone local for each of those large, heavy and difficult to ship parts - you may not have much success asking those kind of prices.

As for the complete vehicle, I go back to my "orphan" adoptions over the years. The blue slider door isn't even fastened on properly, there is a sock hanging out of the fuel filler, someone sanded down the rusty seams and left them bare metal to accelerate the rust out in the weather, and the engine has been apart so long its clear the vehicle has not moved in years - perhaps a decade. Someone drilled guages into the dash, the front end is missing about $500 in parts, its got ordinary steel wheels on it, and the interior panels are doubtless ruined by moisture. It's sitting in the grass, giving rise to the likelihood the moisture has rusted the undercarriage and mice are chewing the wires. And I have enough experience to know that is just what I see in pictures. I know that when I arrive, I will open a door and find every plastic part faded from sunblast, the headliner hanging, moldy carpet, and everybody's favorite - no title.

If I drove past that sitting in a yard in my town, I'd turn around and drive up to look it over because I'm a Vanagon enthusiast. But I'd quickly discern it is about $6000 away from even being a driver, and I'd offer a few hundred dollars just to adopt it and possibly spend 3 years dinking around with it just to save it from the scrapper. And I'd know that means I still have to drag it onto my trailer, and tow it home - something not everyone has at their disposal. But probably 2000 other Vanagon enthusiasts would walk past it in a line at 10/minute and not one would want to deal with it.

So, it is in a bad position and I'm fairly sure it will not turn out to be a profitable venture to the degree you are hoping for. A car can be neglected enough that it arrives in a state where it is not rare enough to be salvaged, yet unusual enough it would be a shame to scrap it. I probably stop and look at 15 vehicles like this in a typical year, and I hate to see it. Hope you were in the mood for a reality check.

I think you have it advertised on the right place - here on the Samba. And I hope someone in your area assigns enough value to come snag it and rescue it!!

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
dustinwor
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses everyone im pulling the windows and trans now running the rest to my local scrap yard tommorow
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent!

Hans
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a real westy cut off the roof at the pillars once you have the windows out. People are always looking for westy roof clips and the pop top to go with it.
icolquhoun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 50 degree diesel swap bits are worth at least 5-600 bucks. You'd be foolish not to grab everything out of it you can related to that.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I've made a hobby over the years of "adopting" orphaned vehicles like yours. So take this for what its worth. The trans may be worth something, but the guy interested in it may live in New Mexico - a $500 truck ride away. Ditto the windows - a guy in British Columbia is interested but not at $400 plus a $200 shipping deal.

This has got to be a typo, so for the record, it's only about 125 to ship a trans across the country.

I recently had almost 400 # of engine shipped to me from NY (to Nev) for just under 200 $

Shipping really doesn't have to be so expensive...
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely save the mounting parts, trans, front shifter rod, box linkage, engine, windows, instrument cluster, westy cabinets, roof, etc...
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavy, oddly shaped stuff can be put into a Rubbermaid bin, sealed and shipped Greyhound

same with things like bumpers (I shipped some sports car bumpers all the way across the US that way)

Buyer will need to pick up at depot but it's cheap
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the parts worth? Reply with quote

Obviously it's splitting hairs at this point, but I was speaking of literally a truck ride like an interested guy coming to get a trans (his gas, etc) or shipping on a normal carrier like UPS or similar. There are better rates if you find a trucking center, etc. But it can decrease the value of something when you have to drop a large fraction of its value just to get it to your city. Particularly when its an unknown condition powertrain component such as this case. I'm certainly nobody to talk, as I spent $1500 to go get a nonrunning Vanagon in Georgia with my own tow vehicle and trailer. Twice!!

I'm glad there is interest in these bits - both for the sake of the OP, and also for the buyers happy to have them. Bravo.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: