Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Big M Radio Question
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Big M Radio Question Reply with quote

I've heard it on good authority that there are actually two different versions of the Motorola Big M radio, or actually two versions of the faceplate. According to a person who is into VW's and used to work at Motorola they changed the face plate in about 1955 when Motorola re-designed their logo. According to him the "M" is slightly different between the early and late radios.

I've searched the gallery and damned if I can see a difference, but maybe all the examples are either all early or all late, or I just don't understand what I'm looking for.

Anyone have any info on this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting information----------I've owned several of those and the only difference I noticed is the quality of the chrome plate. I assumed the "early" run had the better chrome. Confused I'll look through some old pictures to see if I can see any differences. Wink
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn Clevenger in Phoenix is who told me. He was restoring the 55 Rag when he was working at Motorola and found out about the change. Apparently the difference is in the length or shape of the points on the "M". Very subtle but once you know you can spot it right away.

Mine is incorrect according to Glenn, and I'm hoping this information causes a wave of faceplate exchanges as people frantically swap back and forth for the correct faceplates before the next big show. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Coad,
I've got both styles of face plates. Unfortunetly, the radios aren't here with me at the moment. I'll try to get you a pic of the differences though. I do have 1 Motorola radio here, but it's already dark (nightfall) and pics won't come out too clear. I'll post it tomorrow afternoon. Then maybe someone else can post their versions and we can make the comparisons.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coad- Better late than never right? Here is a shot despicting the differences between early (1953-55) and late (1956-on) fonts used by Motorola. The earlier version is on top.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'd sell it, but out of the 7 radio I have, it's the only early version Sad
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Coad- Better late than never right? Here is a shot despicting the differences between early (1953-55) and late (1956-on) fonts used by Motorola. The earlier version is on top.

Hmmm, the sort of difference only a true fanatic would care about. Good to know (Thanks Glenn) but I don't think I'll lose much sleep over the fact that I have the wrong faceplate.

53Oval on the other hand will now begin a frantic hunt on three continents trying to find one, so I consider this thread a success Very Happy
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Hmmm, the sort of difference only a true fanatic would care about. Good to know (Thanks Glenn) but I don't think I'll lose much sleep over the fact that I have the wrong faceplate.

53Oval on the other hand will now begin a frantic hunt on three continents trying to find one, so I consider this thread a success Very Happy

Laughing Funny guy. I must admit they are more interesting to me now that I have this tidbit of information. I always considered them junk before. Now they are junk with a history. Wink
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l227 - look on the right side of your radios for the stamped Motorola model number. You'll probably find the early version is a 5M or 6M while the later version is a 7M or 8M. These were universal radios sold by Motorola to mount in just about anything - hence the multitude of holes drilled in the front. They had different mounting brackets for different cars and the brackets mounted in different places. The digit in the model number (5,6,7) roughly corresponds to year, and there are minor differences (like the dial lettering) in each year. Most differences were not cosmetic though, just electrical.
Remember - You are required to get older but you are not required to grow up!
62 SC & 66 Bus
eddiemoney
East Coast Scavenger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from now on all ill buy are pre 55 motorola radios non of that 56 and later fat chick crap

instagram im_eating_pizza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstefun wrote:
These were universal radios sold by Motorola to mount in just about anything - hence the multitude of holes drilled in the front. They had different mounting brackets for different cars and the brackets mounted in different places.

Yes, I am aware of this fact. I've seen the Big M Motorola radio installed in 50s Volvo as well as 1958-later Beetles. When installed in a later bug, it has a cool looking stamped block off which it mounts to.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic of a Big M radio fitted to my buddy Brent's (broke62') 59 Beetle that he recently picked up. Love the Ivory knobs...

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Dlux55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: motorola radio Reply with quote

Can anyone identify this faceplate, it came in my Jan. 1955 deluxe beetle. Date on side of radio is 5 M. Still works great, takes awhile to warm up, crackles and pops, nothing like listening to an old radio.

Dlux55
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the details but I have seen that faceplate in at least one VW in the past.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andy rowe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have one in my 55
TRparts Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Big M Radio Question Reply with quote

let me put something clear my vintage very low production classic MERCEDES BENZ on the driveway and the junk looking VOLKSWAGEN in the garage also i love my german blaupunkts, telefunken becker radios I'M not here to start a debate or to offend anybody but to share what i learned from the elder vw collectors and lovers

that is proper M motorola radio early plate note is an radio wave style logo!
motorola was the radio that most bugs got other makes offered radios some did not worked as good. reception was lousy and radios were expensive. thus motorola became the standard and reception was good on the motorola on the early radio waves.
also please remember that as part of GERMANY'S reconstruction THE PEOPLE'S CAR basicly sparked hope again (no other company can claim that.)
and a lot of common families were waiting for the car they had preordered by buying bonds.
US and GREAT BRITAIN and other ally countries had lot of influence on car, such as machinery,paint ,rubber,bearings,tyres,glass, fabrics electronics ( I know tires ) all were a commodity everywhere in the world and of course manufacturers were eager to cash in and offer their products thus motorola offered their radios in the US; and became the standard and of course made in the USA was a big thing back then !
there was no other way to drive and show your new american econo car unless had a motorola radio " early VOLKSWAGENS is been in US since the beginning thus is also consider an american car " please do not touch my 68 bug in the garage take the mercedes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: