Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct Color of 1967 Convertible Hinge Covers
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeVertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Correct Color of 1967 Convertible Hinge Covers Reply with quote

I have a yukon yellow 67 convertible with black interior. I am restoring the interior and replacing the top hinge covers. These covers were missing on my car. The new ones are white plastic. Does anyone know what color they were originally. It seems they should be L43 grey/black. Anyone know for sure the original color? Thanks. Carl
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Color of 1967 Convertible Hinge Covers Reply with quote

On late '67's that have the oil hole in the top of the door hinges (evidently like your 'Vert does) originally they were a non-fat milky whitish clear color, kind of a semi-opaque vinyl plastic of some sort.

VW used these on '67 1/2 Beetles and Bay window Type II's up to IDK sometime in the early '70's.
I know as fact my wife's Yukon Yellow '73 Bug had black hinge caps.

I can also say first hand from living in California that the original clear/white ones did not stand up well to the Sun's UV rays, where they would dry up, yellow and eventually crumble to bits on removal during regular maintenance (you are supposed to R&I these caps every so often to oil the door hinges).

After the Black ones came out on the new cars that's all you could buy from the parts dept were the black ones.

Clear OG's with a VW logo are now much sought after by '67 Guru's in the know Wink

Not sure what color or opacity the reproductions to say how accurate they are, can you post a picture or provide a link to one?

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
DeVertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Color of 1967 Convertible Hinge Covers Reply with quote

I guess I wasn't quit as clear in my question as I thought. My question is in regards to the color of the large covers that surround the convertible top hinges on each side of the rear seat back. They conceal the large hinges that fold the top down.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Color of 1967 Convertible Hinge Covers Reply with quote

Ohh...TOP hinge covers, my bad. Obviously thought you meant Late '67 door hinge top covers.
Never owned a 'Vert myself, ought to know better than reply Embarassed Smile

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Color of 1967 Convertible Hinge Covers Reply with quote

DeVertible wrote:
I guess I wasn't quit as clear in my question as I thought. My question is in regards to the color of the large covers that surround the convertible top hinges on each side of the rear seat back. They conceal the large hinges that fold the top down.

Call or email Chuck at Chuck's convertible parts http://www.chucksconvertibleparts.com/

He'll know for sure.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeVertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Color of 1967 Convertible Hinge Covers Reply with quote

Thank you for your suggestion. I talked to Chuck today; what a great and knowledgeable guy! The answer is . . . . . White . . . all 1967s anyway. He also helped me with my door seal issue that I needed advise with on an earlier post. Thanks again
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Color of 1967 Convertible Hinge Covers Reply with quote

DeVertible wrote:
Thank you for your suggestion. I talked to Chuck today; what a great and knowledgeable guy! The answer is . . . . . White . . . all 1967s anyway. He also helped me with my door seal issue that I needed advise with on an earlier post. Thanks again

Glad it worked out for you. Chucks a nice guy who I bought a lot of parts from when I restored my 69. He's truly a wealth of info on convertibles.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: