Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to identify the larger clamshell for factory alloys?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: How to identify the larger clamshell for factory alloys? Reply with quote

Can anyone on here tell me how to identify the larger spare tire clamshell and springs for the factory alloy wheel vans? I am in need of them but cannot find out how to tell the difference for sure once they are separate from the original vehicle.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: How to identify the larger clamshell for factory alloys? Reply with quote

The little things one never stops to consider!

Who knew?

I'd be willing to measure the carrier for the steel wheel. I Imagine there is a depth difference?

The metal support rods? A longer down arm maybe? Or do they vary where they connect onto the clamshell itself I wonder?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: How to identify the larger clamshell for factory alloys? Reply with quote

I do know the springs AND the shell are a different part number for the alloy wheel and 205 tire, but cannot find part numbers on my steel wheel parts.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: How to identify the larger clamshell for factory alloys? Reply with quote

There were also different coolant hoses used with the 205/70r14s.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: How to identify the larger clamshell for factory alloys? Reply with quote

The clam shells can be told apart by the square tab that the big bolt goes through to lock it closed. In the narrow wheel version the square tab just sticks out at the same level as the shell. In the wide wheel version the square tab has a step in it. That step mounts the front of the shell down slightly lower from the body.

The 2 thick wire upper parts I can't tell apart without having one of each type side by side.

Mark
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: How to identify the larger clamshell for factory alloys? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The clam shells can be told apart by the square tab that the big bolt goes through to lock it closed. In the narrow wheel version the square tab just sticks out at the same level as the shell. In the wide wheel version the square tab has a step in it. That step mounts the front of the shell down slightly lower from the body.

The 2 thick wire upper parts I can't tell apart without having one of each type side by side.

Mark

I just looked and my steel wheel shell has about 1/4" of step up in it, so Im not sure if that would be the identifier unless they were side by side. Of course, an option that I don't have.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: How to identify the larger clamshell for factory alloys? Reply with quote

I just went and looked at my inventory. Two known steel wheel units, each with a 1/4" step, one unit with alloys but aftermarket alloys and an empty spare clamshell, also 1/4".
So I assume all three units with the 1/4" are steel wheel shells.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: How to identify the larger clamshell for factory alloys? Reply with quote

The step I mean is more like 1 1/2"

If you lay the narrow wheel version upside down on the driveway the sheet metal edge will lay flat and the square tab won't lift that edge. If you do it with the wide wheel version the tab hits the ground long before the sheet metal can lay flat.

The other visual difference is the big step has an extra hole in the drop section for the safety catch. The narrow version uses the covered lip of the sheet metal as the safety catch area.

Mark
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: How to identify the larger clamshell for factory alloys? Reply with quote

1986 Steel Wheel Clamshell

Notice my handy Dandy Zip Tie latch release? Wink

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: How to identify the larger clamshell for factory alloys? Reply with quote

The difference is easily seen by eye.
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: How to identify the larger clamshell for factory alloys? Reply with quote

Found it on google!
The one on the left is the alloy clamshell.
Now, if I can find out the difference visually in the springs. Thank you everyone for your input so far.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: How to identify the larger clamshell for factory alloys? Reply with quote

And Yes!
Different radiator hoses for the Alloy wheels....
Item 15 & 16

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: How to identify the larger clamshell for factory alloys? Reply with quote

The springs are just wider to accommodate the larger diameter wheel.

I have a crate full of at least 20 of each sets.
It will be going to scrap in the spring.
Not looking to sell any, just stating.
Shipping would be the deal breaker for most anyway.

Burley and GW have skid systems now, so these are being pulled off on a regular basis.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: How to identify the larger clamshell for factory alloys? Reply with quote

Here, this is what the square tab looks like for the wider 205 tire version

(I won't call it the alloy version because there were some vans with factory steel wheels that had the same wider wheel as the alloys, for 205 tires.
Yes, some factory steel wheels, rare, 6" x 14" ET30)

Mark
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: How to identify the larger clamshell for factory alloys? Reply with quote

Thank you for all this information Mark!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: How to identify the larger clamshell for factory alloys? Reply with quote

Dylan, if you aren't willing to send the tire retainers to anyone, would you at least take a photo of them side by side to help the OP identify locate some?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: How to identify the larger clamshell for factory alloys? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Dylan, if you aren't willing to send the tire retainers to anyone, would you at least take a photo of them side by side to help the OP identify locate some?

Dave

Thank you for caring Dave. This kind of concern in helping others is what makes most Vanagon folks good people. Its too bad the kindness doesn't permeate all.
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: How to identify the larger clamshell for factory alloys? Reply with quote

A HUGE thank you goes out to Scott Shelley!
He is willing to go out of his way and send me a shell and springs for FREE in order to help me out. Exclamation
I cant thank you enough Scott...its refreshing to see someone just wanting to help someone else just because you are a good person. I will take detailed photos of both the shell differences as well as the spring differences and share them on this thread for all. If there is anything else I see different I will post that as well.

Thank you!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How to identify the larger clamshell for factory alloys? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Here, this is what the square tab looks like for the wider 205 tire version

(I won't call it the alloy version because there were some vans with factory steel wheels that had the same wider wheel as the alloys, for 205 tires.
Yes, some factory steel wheels, rare, 6" x 14" ET30)

Mark

This one is bent.
Here is one that isn't.

The springy thingies are just wider.

Sounds like the OP got covered.

Last edited by insyncro on Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How to identify the larger clamshell for factory alloys? Reply with quote

Huh, the crap you learn on a saturday morning that makes you go out in the garage in your skivvies and check. I have the alloy wheel setup - cool.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: