Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lost my 30 PICT-1 Fast Idle Plate Roll Pin...
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Lost my 30 PICT-1 Fast Idle Plate Roll Pin... Reply with quote

Does anyone know what size roll pin to get, and the best place to look for one?

Not mine but here is a picture showing a missing pin for clarification:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Lost my 30 PICT-1 Fast Idle Plate Roll Pin... Reply with quote

Simple repair for VW people. Get a small nail that will fit the hole. Cut it to length and then mix up some handy dandy JB weld. I think you get the picture. This worked for me.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Lost my 30 PICT-1 Fast Idle Plate Roll Pin... Reply with quote

I think either a 1/2" or 3/4" finishing nail fits.

brad
Warren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 30 PICT-1 Fast Idle Plate Roll Pin... Reply with quote

Great thanks - A nail it is!
Johnous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 30 PICT-1 Fast Idle Plate Roll Pin... Reply with quote

Split pins are available at ACE hardware stores in many sizes, and that is where I got mine when I rebuilt the carb. JB Weld provides some additional insurance, but if the hole in the carb is still okay then the split pin will work well on its own. I managed to fill the area in with JB Weld, grind down and drill a new hole, and insert a slightly larger split pin.

This pin fell out on my 66 during my morning commute - wide open throttle at 7:30 gets your blood going! Luckily I found it in the engine compartment and replaced it.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 30 PICT-1 Fast Idle Plate Roll Pin... Reply with quote

Johnous wrote:
Split pins are available at ACE hardware stores in many sizes

This is where I got one for my carb too. Works great, no need for any sealant since it's under tension.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Warren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 30 PICT-1 Fast Idle Plate Roll Pin... Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Johnous wrote:
Split pins are available at ACE hardware stores in many sizes

This is where I got one for my carb too. Works great, no need for any sealant since it's under tension.

Just went by on the way home and scored - Not sure what size I neded so I bought 3/32", 1/8" and 5/32" to start.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 30 PICT-1 Fast Idle Plate Roll Pin... Reply with quote

Originals are a split roll pin, but most likely a metric size. Think you might need a 1/16" for closest match on an early carb.

The hole in the carb does wear from the weight of the cam resting on it, and eventually it can get wobbled out and typically that's why the pin falls out.
If you don't have the old pin to measure it can be hard to tell.

If you find you need to install a larger roll pin, be sure it's not too big because it's most important that it clears the slot in the fast idle cam throughout the cam's full range w/o binding or sticking.

If the hole in your carb body looks distressed, you can take the fast idle cam off and gently peen some of the soft metal back into place with a small flat head punch to cold forge the base metal and make the hole smaller for a tighter fit.

As mentioned a small finishing nail works well too, and for a long term repair JB Weld the best sized pin in if the hole is too oblong or distorted to hold it very tight.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Warren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 30 PICT-1 Fast Idle Plate Roll Pin... Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
Originals are a split roll pin, but most likely a metric size. Think you might need a 1/16" for closest match on an early carb.

The hole in the carb does wear from the weight of the cam resting on it, and eventually it can get wobbled out and typically that's why the pin falls out.
If you don't have the old pin to measure it can be hard to tell.

If you find you need to install a larger roll pin, be sure it's not too big because it's most important that it clears the slot in the fast idle cam throughout the cam's full range w/o binding or sticking.

If the hole in your carb body looks distressed, you can take the fast idle cam off and gently peen some of the soft metal back into place with a small flat head punch to cold forge the base metal and make the hole smaller for a tighter fit.

As mentioned a small finishing nail works well too, and for a long term repair JB Weld the best sized pin in if the hole is too oblong or distorted to hold it very tight.

Great advice Bruce thanks!

I have JB weld handy as well and will ensure not to affect the action whichever path it takes. The old pin is long gone... Laughing
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Lost my 30 PICT-1 Fast Idle Plate Roll Pin... Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
Originals are a split roll pin, .

Actually, no they were not, not yet at least. At the time it was a solid metal pin. It was later on, that a split roll pin was used. I don't think any of the original DVG carbs with the small pin used a split roll pin. When DVG changed to a larger pin size, it was a roll pin. For the smaller size, Bocar in Mexico would later use a small size roll pin, but that was later on.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Warren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 30 PICT-1 Fast Idle Plate Roll Pin... Reply with quote

Just to follow up even the 1/8" roll pin was too large.

Ended up trimming a brad nail for a friction fit and put it in with a touch of JB Weld.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Lost my 30 PICT-1 Fast Idle Plate Roll Pin... Reply with quote

Should be fine and dandy!

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
1967_Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 30 PICT-1 Fast Idle Plate Roll Pin... Reply with quote

Way too late, I know...

First, not all pins fall out. In my experience they are more likely to have broken off flush with the carb body. If the pin is broken you will need to drill it out (I use a 1mm drill bit and my fingers - I avoid using an electric drill).

I have needed to replace a few of these pins over the years. I found nails and screws are not really the best way to go in the long term as the carb body is so soft and the nail/screw is normally made from a much harder material (the hole in the carb can quickly get bigger... much bigger).

I have found the best way to do is to fabricate a replacement pin from a piece of brass (usually from a broken electrical appliance/fitting - here in the UK, pieces from inside light fittings are good).

You need a piece of brass, a Dremel type tool, a grindstone and/or sandpaper.

Identify a cylindrical piece of brass that is around 15mm long (bear in mind you may have to cut terminals or something else off the cylinder to get the bit you need) and about 3mm wide.

Once you have the cylinder of brass put it in the chuck of a Dremel type tool - about 7mm in the chuck and 8mm out the front (this is for the part of the pin that sticks out of the carb body). Turn the Dremel on and use the grindstone or sandpaper to gradually reduce the diameter of the spinning piece of brass. Go slowly, try to keep the diameter of the exposed pin equal along its length and check the diameter frequently (against the fast idle plate slot).

Once you've reduced the exposed brass reduced to the correct diameter turn the brass in the chuck and do the same for the other end (checking against the hole in the carb body).

You now have a pin that is exactly the right diameter, but too long (probably on both ends). Brass is soft and the pin can easily be sanded to the correct length (taking the right amount off each end).

I usually create a pin with a wide shoulder between with element that goes into the carb body and the bit that protrudes. This should rests on the outside of the hole it gives the pin more lateral strength - in theory this should reduce the chance of further wear to the body.

My pins are usually a snug fit, but I still use a slither of epoxy glue just to make sure.

I usually polish the exposed part of the pin and leave the rest rough (helps the glue to create a bond)

It usually takes me less than an hour to make a pin and I've never had to replace one of the pins I've made for a second time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: