Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing Lobster Claw Covers on Seat Belts
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
DeVertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Replacing Lobster Claw Covers on Seat Belts Reply with quote

I have a set of 1967 convertible seatbelts that are in great condition but missing the covers. I am wondering if anyone has removed covers from one set to install on another. I have no covers at the moment to examine to guide me and I don't want to buy a set of belts just for the covers if they can not be removed and re-installed successfully. Thanks
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lobster Claw Covers on Seat Belts Reply with quote

DeVertible wrote:
I have a set of 1967 convertible seatbelts that are in great condition but missing the covers. I am wondering if anyone has removed covers from one set to install on another. I have no covers at the moment to examine to guide me and I don't want to buy a set of belts just for the covers if they can not be removed and re-installed successfully. Thanks

Can you post a pic of what you need? I just pulled the two front seat belts to replace them and they sound like I may have what you need.
DeVertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lobster Claw Covers on Seat Belts Reply with quote

Will post picture tomorrow. I need to know if black plastic covers of spring loaded claws can be removed and reinstalled without bresking.
DeVertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lobster Claw Covers on Seat Belts Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is photo of one of the seat belts. Looking to find out if covers from another set could be removed and placed on my belts before I invest in another set of belts
briansandiego
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lobster Claw Covers on Seat Belts Reply with quote

I need those covers too! Subscribed...
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lobster Claw Covers on Seat Belts Reply with quote

Don't think they are the same. Concept is similar, but mine are black and the covers don't seem removable.

They do seem to be original VW though. Part number is : KL-1-500/3.3/1968. I'm guessing they came off a 68 of some sort.

I have two of these. One, the belt portion is pretty much toast, the other is great. I have two much shorter lengths of belt that maybe were supposed to be used kids or something? Anybody wants them, LMK.
DeVertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lobster Claw Covers on Seat Belts Reply with quote

Those are the correct covers and look to be in good shape. It seems to me there has to be a way to disassemble but who knows. Do you have photos of complete belt. I might be interested in the lot just to explore the idea if the price is right. The others you have might be the rears. I need the center receiver loop as well as well as a ring that mounts behind the rear seat center.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lobster Claw Covers on Seat Belts Reply with quote

DeVertible wrote:
Those are the correct covers and look to be in good shape. It seems to me there has to be a way to disassemble but who knows. Do you have photos of complete belt. I might be interested in the lot just to explore the idea if the price is right. The others you have might be the rears. I need the center receiver loop as well as well as a ring that mounts behind the rear seat center.
lets take it to PM. I'll get more pics in a bit.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lobster Claw Covers on Seat Belts Reply with quote

Tap the rivet thru, and the cover slides off the claw..
I've swapped good for bad covers several times.

The biggest issue is the ability to reuse the original rivet or not.. or just use a replacement rivet...(not a pop rivet a real rivet).

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lobster Claw Covers on Seat Belts Reply with quote

I sorta had the same issue and decide upon something like this. Sure glad I did.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Hummer-Retractable-Fr...mp;vxp=mtr

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
DeVertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lobster Claw Covers on Seat Belts Reply with quote

Thanks volkwagnut. I have a set coming with good covers and will soon be giving it a shot
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lobster Claw Covers on Seat Belts Reply with quote

DeVertible wrote:
Thanks volkwagnut. I have a set coming with good covers and will soon be giving it a shot

Easy peezy repair..
I've found.. its best to be prepared to use new rivets, but sometimes if you are patient, you can gently fold the old hollow peened rivet back straight with a pair of sharp side cutter like pliers (and a punch) , tap it back through and reuse it.. ..

Once you realize how easy the swap over is.. you will.... d'oh! ... (duh)

No... I dont know the exact size of the original rivet. .. Laughing
Most hardware stores have..... something that will work..

I've used rivets and/or solid bar peened (both sides) over to secure.. but Im not picky either.
Just be sure to make whatever you use as a smooth as possible.

Maybe you make this a tutorial for replacing the covers ... Wink
Oh yeah.. dont forget.. ...with pictures.. cause we all know VW people just gotta have pictures.. Laughing

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bdaniello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lobster Claw Covers on Seat Belts Reply with quote

Where can I find new lobster claw covers to replace what I have on my 67 ?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lobster Claw Covers on Seat Belts Reply with quote

Nicer used ones from another set?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lobster Claw Covers on Seat Belts Reply with quote

DeVertible wrote:

Here is photo of one of the seat belts. Looking to find out if covers from another set could be removed and placed on my belts before I invest in another set of belts

That is a 67 convertible or Ghia "only" seat belt assy pictured above. (Klippan VW) The missing plastic claw covering likely might be different in mounting and function configuration than the later black "American Safety" (made for VW in USA) plastic claw covering shown below. Note additional chromed metal component, w/ engraved arrow and much thicker grip ribbing...

Original plastic cover on '67 vert belt from gallery:

....and fitment within the casing. The newer, bulkier "American Safety" covers might not work as well as an original Klippan cover 'scalped' from a 67 sedan or type3..

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lobster Claw Covers on Seat Belts Reply with quote

DeVertible wrote:

As a note, I believe that seat belt has been installed on the wrong side. The "bump" should face inwards, so the seat belt mechanism can be better shifted out of the way.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong.
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lobster Claw Covers on Seat Belts Reply with quote

Ooops... Embarassed I didn't realize this was an OLD post to begin with, and 2 of the photos apparantly didn't appear in my previous post - making nonsense out of what I was trying to say... Rolling Eyes

So, to better 'illustrate' what I was trying to say, here are the two missing photos of the plastic covers for comparison:

American Safety black lobster claw:

...and the Klippan as used in 1967's:

And, Harry - you are correct! The OP's photo with the missing cover is installed on the wrong side. The roll bulge should be facing inboard, not out. At this point, I'm curious to know whatever the outcome might've been 6 years ago for the attempt at putting the 'beefier' American Safety black covers on the Klippan mechanism..

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
greenwalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lobster Claw Covers on Seat Belts Reply with quote

I know this is a long shot, but I am looking for the same plastic cover being discussed in this thread. We have a 1967 Beetle that needs a new cover for the driver's side. The mechanism that clips still works.

If anyone has any idea where I could get one (or maybe get plans for a 3D printed version?) - please let me know:

[email protected]

67conv wrote:
Ooops... Embarassed I didn't realize this was an OLD post to begin with, and 2 of the photos apparantly didn't appear in my previous post - making nonsense out of what I was trying to say... Rolling Eyes

So, to better 'illustrate' what I was trying to say, here are the two missing photos of the plastic covers for comparison:

American Safety black lobster claw:

...and the Klippan as used in 1967's:

And, Harry - you are correct! The OP's photo with the missing cover is installed on the wrong side. The roll bulge should be facing inboard, not out. At this point, I'm curious to know whatever the outcome might've been 6 years ago for the attempt at putting the 'beefier' American Safety black covers on the Klippan mechanism..
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lobster Claw Covers on Seat Belts Reply with quote

They are not reproduced, and 3-D printers are not at the level they can accurately build it, with the pebble pattern (as I understand). Breaking at the ends is the most common, as that area is under the largest amount of stress.

As far as I know, the only solution is to buy a used set with good ends and use them as donors for yours (that's what I had to do). They come up, periodically, in the classifieds here, on ebay, and on 1967beetle.com.

Note, similar seat belt mechanisms were produced for ghias and (I think) type 3s. So, if you aren't a purist, and are ok with it being *close*, you could use those.

Then, again, if you weren't a purist, you would probably just replace them with something modern. Wink

Good luck!
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lobster Claw Covers on Seat Belts Reply with quote

I’ll add to what Harry said that Klippan belts were commonly used on a lot of European cars especially BMWs so you could always find some donors on eBay and use those as well.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: