Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Longblock stripping
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crowlejo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Longblock stripping Reply with quote

I had a 40hp big bore long block built and it came painted. It is together, but with tin removed right now. What is the best thing to use to strip this paint off? I don't have an extra case right now to test stuff on, so I wanted to see what you guys have used. Dremel? Drill and wire brush? I'm scared to use anything chemical and have it mess up gaskets or the mag case. I'm also scared to blast it when it is together. The paint was scratched off in shipping, so it looks like shit already.
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap walmart oven cleaner in the spray can works well. I've used it a few times to remove paint from VW engine cases. One tip is to pull the head studs and put the case in a plastic garbage bag. The bag keeps the cleaner from drying or flashing off too quickly. Let it sit for an hour or so it will loosen up the paint. Good luck.
(321) 449-4665

Specializing in repair and maintenance for Porsche, BMW, Mini, Audi, and Volkswagen.

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
1961 L-380 Turkis Deluxe Beetle
1985 Vanagon Country Homes Camper (work in progress - EG33 swap)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crowlejo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in long block form. Thats why I was asking. I didn't want to disassemble it and I was scared that the oven cleaner would eat the gaskets. I actually used the oven cleaner to strip a single cab and it worked great. Thats what I thought about using. Have you tried it on a completely assembled engine?
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, didn't see that the engine is still together. I guess I missed that. I think its going to be a lot of work to strip it all off without tearing it all apart. I hate painted cases but you might want to just touch it up where it was scratched or commit to tearing it apart and stripping it proper.
(321) 449-4665

Specializing in repair and maintenance for Porsche, BMW, Mini, Audi, and Volkswagen.

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
1961 L-380 Turkis Deluxe Beetle
1985 Vanagon Country Homes Camper (work in progress - EG33 swap)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crowlejo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are massive amounts of shavings inside the oil pressure sender hole Sad . Looks like it is either going back to the builder or coming apart. Thanks for the help anyways.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send it back! I would not trust that thing at all and ask for my money back...

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
awalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't end up sending it back, you can always try soda blasting. It takes some time but is pretty safe. You can get the equipment cheap at harbor fright and it works fine (unlike most of their stuff Laughing )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Longblock stripping Reply with quote

Ultrasonic cleaning would also be a nice low risk option.

If you want a great finish, but with some serious risk, check the results of running a case though a shot peening machine.

Link

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: