Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

help with 25/36hp engine number ID
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: help with 25/36hp engine number ID Reply with quote

I've been searching the vin charts for this engine number & can't figure it out. I was told it was a 25hp, but the case looks like a 36hp as far as i can tell? I haven't taken it down from a longblock yet though.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: help with 25/36hp engine number ID Reply with quote

What are the three sets of numbers cast into the left side of the generator stand? This is the casting date for the right half of the crankcase. The left half casting date is between the oil and fuel pumps.

Since the numbering surface does not appear to have been filed down or milled and the stamp set is correct for ~1952-56, I'm guessing this is an early factory rebuild using a new case. Look for additional numbers stamped into the right side of the generator stand and the word "Austasch" stamped on the front of the generator stand (it may be hidden behind the melted red plastic).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: