Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need some help with a SB gas tank issue/question.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Need some help with a SB gas tank issue/question. Reply with quote

I have been working on a friends 75 SB convertible this year. We just put a new engine in it, clutch and brake job but the problem I am having is the gas tank will not gravity feed to the back of the pan via the hard lines.

The engine has not had FI, since before I got it and my question is, which tank outlet is the feed and which is the return? See the photo posted. The tank is sitting upright on it's left left side. The inlet/outlets are (Right in the photo) is towards the front of the Beetle, the outlet (left in the photo) is to the back.

Can anyone tell me which is the outlet and which is the return, if it still were a closed FI system?

Thank you.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian

Last edited by peaceful warrior on Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help with a SB gas tank issue/question. Reply with quote

Since you have to close the return line anyway, why don't you just "T" them together? No worry about a leak then. Make sure the line is open thru the tunnel too.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help with a SB gas tank issue/question. Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
Since you have to close the return line anyway, why don't you just "T" them together? No worry about a leak then. Make sure the line is open thru the tunnel too.

That is a thought, but I would rather close the return off on the tank. Still have to find out which hard line thru the tunnel is clear. Wink
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help with a SB gas tank issue/question. Reply with quote

I figured this out on my own this morning. Thanks.

Interesting item I found floating around in the tank. Rolling Eyes

TOOB Member #15
Brian
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help with a SB gas tank issue/question. Reply with quote

FYI- 74 never did come with FI. FI started in 75
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help with a SB gas tank issue/question. Reply with quote

birddog1 wrote:
FYI- 74 never did come with FI. FI started in 75

Sorry, it is not my car. I was told it was a 74. I checked the VIN and it is a 75.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help with a SB gas tank issue/question. Reply with quote

on original tanks the fuel inlet tube continues into the tank and curves to pickup fuel closer to the center....the return just stops as it enters the tank...so if you stick something into into the tube and it goes straight in,thats the return....if it stops when it hits the curve,its the pickup....however,the wrinkles stamped into the bottom of the tank in your picture makes it look like an aftermarket replacement tank...in which case both tubes might just stop as soon as they enter,in which case it makes no difference which one you use...you might be able to look inside with the sending unit removed
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help with a SB gas tank issue/question. Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
on original tanks the fuel inlet tube continues into the tank and curves to pickup fuel closer to the center....the return just stops as it enters the tank...so if you stick something into into the tube and it goes straight in,thats the return....if it stops when it hits the curve,its the pickup....however,the wrinkles stamped into the bottom of the tank in your picture makes it look like an aftermarket replacement tank...in which case both tubes might just stop as soon as they enter,in which case it makes no difference which one you use...you might be able to look inside with the sending unit removed

Thank you. I was able to figure out which was which using a piece of welding wire. The one towards the back is the one with the bend. That is exactly what I was not certain about, if it was the outlet or the return.

Agreed, I was certain it was an aftermarket tank. Wink
TOOB Member #15
Brian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: