Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I found my first Bus! These are my project updates...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave the original covers on there and put the new ones over the top.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I found my first Bus! What a find! Project updates... Reply with quote

I've been making a new pop out table. I am saving the original table and have made a replica. Here it is. I've stained it but this is not the final finish, I will possibly make a custom top for it, depending on what the finished interior looks like.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also did a number on the support leg, a carbon fiber wrap just to spruce it up a little. Underneath it's original.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: I found my first Bus! What a find! Project updates... Reply with quote

Hi everyone. So, a few updates. I went and spoke to the lovely people at LKQ in Springville, Utah and with my Sierra Yellow and L11H identification, I walked out with a rattle can of single stage PPG paint. I am a total novice (I don't pretend to know anything and respect the guys that do) so this was amazing to me. I wanted to see what kind of finish I could get so...

Not bad. But the imperfections and a run (oops) have made me want to really get into this bodywork - I am fascinated by the process of metal repair and have read closely the body/paint forum on The Samba, so I thought I'd just go for it.

First, I dug out the rust in the rear right wheelarch, which is the worst part of the body now...

The lower flat edge of the arch actually came away at one end. Cue me panicking!!!!!!!!
Anyways, I read more about the process of repair and began to clean the two pieces up, tacking them together...

and gradually filling the gaps up with weld. This was a time consuming job and I did struggle without an auto darkening helmet, but I soldiered on. I borrowed one of these pin welder type machines again and used the puller to bring the metal back out. What an incredible machine, and what a cool process. I enjoyed this, although very hard it was satisfying.

Eventually over the Thanksgiving Weekend I managed to fill, sand, spread and sand the arch which now does not look too bad, considering my lack of experience. As I type this, the spot putty is drying, but this takes a little longer, because Utah is under snow now, and it's ffffffreezing!

I apologize to all the guys who put their fantastic skills and their hearts and souls into their projects, because I expect that my work is fairly poor, but I am putting my heart and soul, my blood (literally) sweat and tears into it, so that must count for something right? Thanks for looking at my little project!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: I found my first Bus! What a find! Project updates... Reply with quote

The Pilch wrote:

I apologize to all the guys who put their fantastic skills and their hearts and souls into their projects, because I expect that my work is fairly poor, but I am putting my heart and soul, my blood (literally) sweat and tears into it, so that must count for something right?

NAAAaaaaaah, no need to apologize to people you have not wronged.

I re-painted the right rear quarter panel on an original paint '78 bus with a paint brush found in a kid's Prang watercolor box. Hack! What counts for something is that you take ownership of your decisions, your work, your results, and if it isn't good enough for *you*, then you do it over until it is good enough for *you*.

before ("the professional repair" before I bought the bus):

during (paint-brush-applied primer and severe doubts about my folly):

after, where the brush strokes are still visible, but I nailed the color match so good enough for me:

The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: I found my first Bus! What a find! Project updates... Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
The Pilch wrote:

I apologize to all the guys who put their fantastic skills and their hearts and souls into their projects, because I expect that my work is fairly poor, but I am putting my heart and soul, my blood (literally) sweat and tears into it, so that must count for something right?

NAAAaaaaaah, no need to apologize to people you have not wronged.

I re-painted the right rear quarter panel on an original paint '78 bus with a paint brush found in a kid's Prang watercolor box. Hack! What counts for something is that you take ownership of your decisions, your work, your results, and if it isn't good enough for *you*, then you do it over until it is good enough for *you*.

before ("the professional repair" before I bought the bus):

during (paint-brush-applied primer and severe doubts about my folly):

after, where the brush strokes are still visible, but I nailed the color match so good enough for me:

Thanks man, yeah I totally throw myself in at the deep end and if it bugs me I will redo it. I am very impressed at your color matching! Also, the color of your bus is glorious!!! Is that sage green? Love it!!
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I found my first Bus! What a find! Project updates... Reply with quote

The Pilch wrote:
Also, the color of your bus is glorious!!! Is that sage green? Love it!!

It is called Taigagrun L63H4 or something. And it is a good bit more annoying than any old sage green, because this car goes radioactively yellow/green in the sunlight. Chrome yellow was the key ingredient missing in my first "Sage Green" color match by the professionals (coughcough) at Sherwin Williams.

Now I have a orange westy with "chrome yellow" and it too lights on fire in the sunlight. A lot of paint matching of these cars misses the difference between regular color and chrome color . . .

The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I found my first Bus! These are my project updates... Reply with quote

Fantastic!! Sherwin Williams huh? I go to LKQ and they are superb. I was going to try SW but I guess I should stick with what I know?
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I found my first Bus! These are my project updates... Reply with quote

Some more updates, the main one being there's no update of sorts, although I did manage to fabricate some mudflap brackets and mudflaps....

I had some steel laying around so I finally dialed in my welder and got some nice welds done, and because I am on a super-budget, made some mudflaps from an old VW floor mat I have that's past it's use-by date. I enjoyed making these.

The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: I found my first Bus! These are my project updates... Reply with quote

Hello! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and New Years!

So, I have a few updates on my '72.

I recently took the Westy cabinets out the back to do sound deadening and all that. While they were out, I really REALLY enjoyed the visibility, so after much ummm'ing and oooh'ing, I decided to sell the cabinet and the headbanger shelf. I know that kills some of you and I agree to a certain extent but I did then have some funds to put back into the bus, to which I am making it mine, rather than OG.

So I made this side cabinet.

I also bought some high density foam, and made two more cushions for the "gaps" left by the cabinet going. I am now trying to persuade a lady in my neighborhood to make me new cushion covers from some awesome basketweave type material I've found in the local fabric store.

I hope she gets back to me soon, this bare foam is driving me nuts!

In other updates, I drove my bus in 8F temps with the heater tubes disconnected....... and LOVED IT!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: