Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nightmare before Christmas — Teflon buttons UPDATED W/PICS
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
t0ne321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Nightmare before Christmas — Teflon buttons Reply with quote

So I had a chance to undo the engine last night. This is what I found:

First off I went to harbor freight and bought myself a little magnetic stand so I could check the runout on the crank. It cost me around 13 dlls, and I used a dial indicator I had already at home.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So I pulled the case half with the flywheel still torqued to the crank. I removed the 1st and 2nd connecting rods as of right now and the journals look good. No heavy pitting or damage.

The cam bearings seem to have some weird wear patterns. Can anyone tell me if this is normal?

Other than that the cam and followers look like they broke in well.

FOUND MY BUTTONS Razz

hmmm

This is the rod from the piston that broke. Notice the uneven wear. Hopefully it didnt bend Sad

Next step is to tear it all apart and CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN
t0ne321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Nightmare before Christmas — Teflon buttons UPDATED W/PI Reply with quote

and heres a video of a test run to check runout. I haven't removed the center bearing so im not surprised it doesnt move, but this is this the correct way to check this?

Link

scotth17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Nightmare before Christmas — Teflon buttons UPDATED W/PI Reply with quote

That's a shitload of weight anyone could do without! Why re-invent the wheel? Don't most pistons come with retainers? Use em.....
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Nightmare before Christmas — Teflon buttons UPDATED W/PI Reply with quote

t0ne321 wrote:
and heres a video of a test run to check runout. I haven't removed the center bearing so im not surprised it doesnt move, but this is this the correct way to check this?

Link
Hard to see where it's touching, but it seems alright. You have to remove the center bearing to get useable measurements of course. Then try it with #1 and #3 bearings as well as #1 and #4.
fastfil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Nightmare before Christmas — Teflon buttons UPDATED W/PI Reply with quote

Make sure you don't mix those lifters up.
t0ne321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Nightmare before Christmas — Teflon buttons UPDATED W/PI Reply with quote

So I went ahead and started building it back up after everything checked out. Bought a set of Silverline bearings for the rods and the fit seems a bit odd.

Is this normal? Two of the rods seem to fit normally and the other two have this weird unevenness on the sides. I remember my last bearings fit completely flush on the sides. They are torqued down to 24 lbs. Should I just return them and get a set of Mahles? those were the ones I had on them before.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Nightmare before Christmas — Teflon buttons UPDATED W/PI Reply with quote

Mahle are ok but it's a bi-metal bearing, fine for a stock rebuild but not usually used for high performance stuff.

Use clevite rod bearings, part number: 780p
t0ne321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Nightmare before Christmas — Teflon buttons UPDATED W/PI Reply with quote

ok. This is the worst one of the four. Seems like the bearing shells are sitting uneven inside the rod. I moved the bearing around on the other 3 rods and it's always this pair of bearings that are odd.

Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Nightmare before Christmas — Teflon buttons UPDATED W/PI Reply with quote

The sideways difference is not an issue unless the bearing edge contacts the crank radius.
The surface finish on the bearing shells look awful though...
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Nightmare before Christmas — Teflon buttons UPDATED W/PI Reply with quote

I have had terrible results with silverline rod bearings, their main bearings are usually good tho

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
t0ne321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Nightmare before Christmas — Teflon buttons UPDATED W/PI Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. I was a little worried about the fit but everyone I've asked really isn't too concerned with it so I guess I'll put it together.
I haven't thoroughly cleaned all the parts after I disassembled the engine, I just sorta cleaned them out, and a bit of grit got into the bearings and scored them a little. They don't look as bad as the pic makes it seem, though.

I'll keep posting pics as I continue assembling. I'm gonna drop the tranny in the next few days and send it to to get the R/p changed out to a 3.88. First gear was a joke and my top speed was 55 before the engine sounded too winded for me. 65 sedan swing axle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: