Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage Splitty Photos
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 430, 431, 432  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

Early Honolulu service vehicle

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

RHD Notch wrote:

Tangiers 1963

love the semaphore buses.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

This was taken at the 1962 New Hope auto show in PA. This was part of the Holbert's display. Looks like that may be a flip seat sub hatch there..

Central Jersey VW Society
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

VW's factory calendar for 1962 had current models positioned "in front of" scenic paintings from different parts of the world.

For February, the location is Africa. The caption reads: "Wherever you go in Africa you will find wide open spaces and vast expanses of sky. It has a magic of its own. At night the stars shine brightly in exotic colours, just out of reach. In the desert the Fata Morgana teases travellers with fantastic mirages, and the pictures conjured up by the clouds in the huge blue vault of the sky are hardly less strange. In this typical East African landscape Werner Peiner contrasts the intensely blue early morning sky with the hazy blue mountains and records an unforgettable experience- a herd of giraffes emerging from the shelter of the acacias."

For June, the location is South America. The caption reads: "In this picture the American painter, F. A. Hannon, has captured the enchantment of a Peruvian village. VW Commercials may no longer be a sensation here, but the llama is still an important means of transport in this country where summer begins in December and July is the coolest month of the year. Peru is famous for its brilliantly coloured birds- humming birds, parrots, toucans- and highly flavored dishes, most of which are garnished with red Spanish peppers. If you visit a village inn you should try some chicha morada, a wine made from violet maize, one of the country's specialties."

For August, the scene is Canada. The caption reads: "The Canadian Rockies form the northernmost part of the Rocky Mountain range, which extends down almost the complete length of North America. A. C. Leighton's picture shows one of the most majestic peaks, Mount Eisenhower (9,390 feet). At its foot lie the beautiful Banff and Kootenay National Parks, full of natural marvels; lakes with icebergs, boiling springs shooting up like the fountains at Versailles, virgin forests where bears and pumas still roam in freedom."
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

My father was a field service engineer for VW Pacific, based in Culver City CA from 1960 thru late 1966. In the summer 1966 he borrowed a new camper from the office, and we drove from our home in the Los Angeles area north, ultimately as far as Banff, and Jasper National Park in the Canadian province Alberta.

This is somewhere along US 101, most likely in Northern CA; possibly along the section now called "Avenue of the Giants" with its enormous trees-

Here in one of the Canadian national parks. Mom is in the front seat. Dad asked mom to keep feeding the bear, while he snuck around to the front to take the photo. I'm in the far back, really scared!
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

Brilliant photos and fantastic story Rome!
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
Brilliant photos and fantastic story Rome!

Yes, very cool. I'm sure it has been done before, but I like the unique Calander concept with the real buses and paintings.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

Anyone know the state that plate frame is from?
Just curious.

It sort of bugs me that it's mounted low like that
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Just curious.

Could be Washington...

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

Not so sure, the plate in the pic is all numbers and it looks like a dash or something between the groups.

Cool pic regardless, new house and a near new vehicle as well as a typical kid, living the dream.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
chrome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

Utah plates were black with white letters during the 60's
68 fastback
73 Thing
74 Thing
54 chevy 210
63 mercury meteor wagon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Just curious.

My monitor sucks, but I think it's a 1962 Virginia plate. 1956, 1962 & 1968 Virginia plates were the same configuration. If I had to venture an uneducated guess, the home looks Virginian too and the bus is showing some wear on that rear bumper so probably not real new...
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

RHD Notch wrote:

Here's a different photo of what appears to be the same bus...and a panel rolling across the tarmac behind the aircraft. Reminds me of a Matchbox car.

Last edited by RHD Notch on Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
LarsH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

hello, here are two video´s from my hometown duisburg (germany)

https://digit.wdr.de/entries/30126?index=87&q=eyJ7OH0iOlsiRHVpc2J1cmciXX0%3D&qt=search

https://digit.wdr.de/entries/30148?index=86&q=eyJ7OH0iOlsiRHVpc2J1cmciXX0%3D&qt=search

and here two pictures from duisburg called "gläserner hut" love this pictures

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

RHD Notch wrote:
...1962 Virginia plate. 1956, 1962 & 1968 Virginia plates were the same configuration...the home looks Virginian...

Funny thing, last night I thought it looked similar to Virginia plate, by memory, and the house had features of my friend's in Arlington.

(plates are '70's on bus)

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

Sweet pics (and bus).
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

Australian War Memorial, Saigon 1967-68.
henk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

henk!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 430, 431, 432  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 432

Jump to: