Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

I'm sure some if not most Vanagon folks have seen or heard of the Go-Westy 24 hours of LeMons team Westafaria. I was graciously invited last March to help drive their van to a 2nd place finish. Pretty good considering the break downs we had, including an exhaust header falling off, requiring some welding and having to re-tourque the heads.
I did add a little excitement by spinning the van on turn 11 requiring me to return to LeMons HQ to be reprimanded and given a penalty.
Anyways, it was so fun to be part of their team, that I thought why not challenge Go-westy to a race-off!

In August during NW Mogfest a plan was hatched to build the Go-Westy killer.

Let me introduce you to our talented and experienced drivers,
Team captain = Eric Didier ( Terrawagen )
Driver 1 = Burley Bevridge ( BurlyMotorsports )
Driver 2 = Seth Hatfield ( playboy millionaire )
Driver 3 = Droo Payne ( super genius )

Our team theme = FedMex, with one van serving all of Mexico ensuring fast delivery of goats and chickens is our specialty.
"When it Absolutely, Positively has to be there sometime"

LeMons rules dictate that our hooptie should not be worth more than $500, and I can assure you that it is indeed well below the threshold.

We started out with a 91 Vanagon GL, missing it's engine with a salvaged title. Purchase price $500.
Here's a list of the items that were sold from the van:
front seats: $150
front carptes: $150
rear folding seat: $100
Center seat: $80
engine harness: $100
engine ECU: $120
Alloy wheels: $250
black framed sliding windows: $150
rer vented side glass: $100
Door panels: $125
A/C ducting: $80
Misc small parts: $165

This gave us a credit of $1570

A 2000 Subaru Legacy GT that was half burned in a garage fire was purchased for $600. Engine removed, and after all that was needed was harvested, the remainder was sold for $350

Our credit is now at $1320

Safety equipment does not factor in to your build costs according to LeMons rules, so our roll cage, being fabricated by BurlyMotorsports doesn't count towards the $500. Neither do the Porsche brakes from a 993TT, and the Sparco racing seat and other safety bits.

We did however buy a few conversion parts to get the Subaru mated to the Vanagon transmission, to the sum of $1100.

That still leaves us a credit of $220 under the $500 limit.

Van Cafe has generously donated a South African 60 liter fuel tank to the project ( Thanks Peter! )

Those of you who wish to witness the taking down of Go-Westy from their racing throne should make it to Infineon Raceway park ( formerly known as Sears Point raceway ) in Sonoma Ca on Feb 13 & 14 2016

Yes, it will be epic.

Last edited by Tristar Eric on Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

A few pics!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dropping the van off at Burley's to get the roll cage.

Gutted interior!

Wheels and racing tires

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

Its on! I saw it at your place a few months ago as you were parting it out and though "24 hrs in a van on a race track....epic"!

This will be great!
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

I so want to do LeMons some day!

Tristar Eric wrote:
Those of you who wish to witness the taking down of Go-Westy from their racing throne should make it to Infineon Raceway park (formerly known as Sears Point raceway) in Sonoma Ca on Feb 13 & 14, 2016.

Lots of videos for those who can't make it, please!

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

I loathe GW with a vengeance, but I assume they're running a Volkswagen powered Volkswagen entry, which gives them my nod. A cheap 124 400E would be the ultimate LeMons beast; 275hp attached to the best tank chassis ever made

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

Awesome!
I can't wait to see it in action.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

I heard it was a secret! Can't wait to see it race! Wish I was closer to help out.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

That's going to be the nicest 500 dollar van I've ever seen. ...
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

wow erich
this has a tint and flavor that I like---and the right crew is in place--a dream team if you will--anyone racing a vanagon is doing the lowerds work. the treffen vids are funny--it seems all the euro boys are low and rumbly--GODSPEED ERICH THE VALIANT that's how the Vikings spell it and my cousin has been attending the carmel calif races with his Viking hat on for over 30 years--I am tempted to attend--If I am not circling some stupid Chinese firedrill, I will be there--
you know, if you get a ucc-1 form from the secretary of state and put a lien on the vehicle, it would plunge your equipment investments to somewhere near the south pole if you get marginally in need of a turbo or something--
todd
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

I gots to see this!
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
...but I assume they're running a Volkswagen powered Volkswagen entry, which gives them my nod.

VR6, as I recall.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

If I can help by donating any stock parts that I may have, let me know.
Cover the shipping and the parts are on me.

Good luck, sounds fun.
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

I can't wait to race this Van! Forget all the engine swap debate threads, lets go out on the track and see what we can do.

BTW GoWesty was the first team to ever actually finsih a Lemons race with a VR6 (even though it took two of them). They are on the "most likley to blow up" list. They went back to the 4cly water boxer for the last two races to make the car more reliable. This is endurance racing and the car that can stay on the track all day will be the most competative.

Thanks to Mile at RMW for your support and thanks to Han's at Utah Importa for finding us some unwanted H&R springs.

We still need a BMW E30 brake booster and a master power disconnect switch. what else do we need Eric? Did you find another front sway bar to mount in the rear yet?

Let's go racing!
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

Eric,

I go really busy last week and forgot to call you about the new front anti-roll bar. Sorry about that! Today is incredibly busy for me, but I'll call you this week.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

Outstanding. I've run two cars at the old Lemons when it was a demolition derby/race. I think we still have the record for the largest factory engine - ford 460 ranchero.

I HIGHLY recommend you bring 2x the number of tires mounted on rims as you THINK you will need. Also invest in brakes and brake related parts.

Costumes, theme related handouts and related fake bribes go a long way with the judges.

Have fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

Wicked! Wish I could be there...can your tech dept rig a live video feed...???
Share the love!

Laughing Wink Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

A few Cage progress pics from Burley. He's one master fab guy!
Poor guy managed to smash his finger with a sledge hammer making the cage and he is still going! dedication and talent oh man!

70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

I have been on a LeMons/ ChumpCar team going on 5-6 years now. Find some track time for a shake out day. If you make it the finish(all 14 hours) put your best(fastest) driver in the car for the last stint. The top 5 teams will be running their fastest lap times in the last hour. But a simple goal is to finish the race. Wink

Run a STOCK pressure plate. This will be kind to your transmission. If you can bring a back up transmission to the track with you.
Hope you can run radios. So much better to know whats going on with the car before it gets to the pits.
Which tires are you going to run?
So much fun being on a team. So much stuff to get done and do.
Good luck with the built and at the track.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

Syncrozilla wrote:
and a master power disconnect switch. what else do we need Eric?Let's go racing!

Pep Boys!
https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9968811/00803

Yes I was thinking of puting a master switch in my van. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

go Eric go...

bravo... bravissimo.. Applause

do you accept donation for the race van?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: