Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Concept1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I figured I'd start a topic here in case there was any comments or questions in regards to the shrouds we are producing.

I'm and enthusiast who was tired of the junky shrouds on the market, and wanted a realist finished solution to cutting and splicing a fuel injected fan shroud, or trying to find a good condition thing shroud.

This is the description from my ad here, let me know if you have any specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

COOLED, a division of GDP, is proud to announce a first for the Air Cooled VW market! A properly produced, stamped, performance type 1 upright fanshroud that features several improvements over the stock VW unit.

-Smoothed face (no impression for factory oil-bath style air cleaner.
-Less holes in the face.
-Velocity ring to increase airflow to the fan and oil cooler.
-Modified for type 4 oil cooler (2 extra rows of cooling)
-Includes both exit ducts, ready for the type 4 cooler (no extra work!)
-All internal vanes and ducts are an exact duplicate of a factory late model (Mexican) shroud.

There are 2 versions of this shroud available.

-Cooled 1.1: Type 1 with heater outlets, and thermostat compatibility
-Cooled 1.2: Type 1 without heater outlets and thermostat compatibility (this is commonly referred to as the THING shroud)

These shrouds are compatible with factory thermostat, a first for an aftermarket shroud. They are also compatible with type 1 or type 4 oil coolers. Most 1776 and larger CC engines should take advantage of the extra cooling the type 4 cooler can provide. In most cases engines up to 2180cc require no additional cooler (No more messy lines and cooler!)

These shrouds are produced from 100% percent new tooling. There are 27 individual stamped pieces to a fanshroud like this, all with tooling for pressing, cutting and jigs to assemble. I spent 3 full years, with 4 failed factories before arriving at the product you see here. This should answer the question "why hasn't someone done this until now?"

Nothing like this shroud is currently on the market. There are lots of “36hp” style, which are a major disadvantage in cooling performance, even over a factory unit. There are also Fiberglass kits, which do not have a proper design for proper velocity at the intake side, and are not a true solution for the enthusiast looking for a long-term solution to cooling his properly built motor.

This is a link to the Ad http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1872355

I worked on this project for 3 years, and there is still more to come. I'm proud of the finished product, and I welcome any feedback.

I'll post up some pictures of the internals of both styles, so there is no guessing as to what is inside.

I hope this post is Ok with the Moderators. Just let me know if it is too much of an ad, and I'll delete it.

Thanks,

Ken

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the internals of both styles. [url][/url]

Last edited by Concept1 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scotth17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

What's the finish? How much and where to get? Looks good to me...
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

They look very nice, and all the vanes in them. What's the price?
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

WOW!
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Clean and vanes to make the cooling Distributuon count. No option for a welded threaded boss on the inside for us gene berg linkage users? I also like the velocity ring

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

He has them listed at $399.** on his site.
retroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Theres a samba ad also. I ordered the volute ring
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Howard 111 wrote:
They look very nice, and all the vanes in them. What's the price?

Listed at $299 USD in the samba ad.

C1 website lists Canadian price $399 CDN for us locals.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Concept1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Yes, they are $299 USD for both types.

The paint is a standard thin black electrostatic paint, not the quality of a good powder-coat. I figured most customers would be powder-coating or painting all of their engine tin to match.
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

neat job, you could have them cad plated then shipped "bare" so customer put the finish they want.

Stock coil mount inserts would be a cool option too if you can make it on order.

If I hadn't a Thing shroud on my shelf, I'd seriously consider buying one of those cool shrouds.

Vince

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Nice!

Is the air bleed/feed from the fan enlarged for the extra air requirements of the Type IV cooler?

Will there be a '36hp' style narrow shroud for twin carbs?
Air Cooleds Only
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

I'm still surprised someone has taken the initiative to create a product to this quality (haven't had my hands on one yet, but it looks great !)

Concept1, once again awesome stuff!!!

Maybe not all is lost to the shit repop market.
Concept1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

VWCOOL wrote:
Nice!

Is the air bleed/feed from the fan enlarged for the extra air requirements of the Type IV cooler?

To answer your first question, No. The velocity ring brings in extra air (at higher speed), so it is not necessary.

To answer your second question, No. The tooling would be all new again, and impossible to recover the investment. In reality, if the proper manifolds are used, this shroud will work. Cal-look guys have been using the Thing shroud for centuries, which is the same width as these ones.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

I hope you sell a ton of these to recoup the costs of tooling up to stamp and produce these shrouds. I know there are still some vendors selling OE VW Mexican dog house shrouds for the stock crowd but probably not for much longer.

Are you considering one final stamp to be able to reproduce the stock front shroud for the stock crowd who needs the air cleaner recess and coil mounts when the Mexican VW ones dry up?

Again, kudos to you for investing in getting what looks like a very nice part remade.

Last suggestion- You may consider dual port cylinder tin as well. The EMPI stuff is crap and is missing the air diverter between the cylinders. I live in the dry SW USA. Finding good, dual port cylinder tin in reasonable shape is getting harder and harder. Most bone yards and VW shops don't have any and quickly say it's "drying up"..

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Very nice! It's great to see someone going this far to create a new product for the Aircooled Community. It would be interesting for someone that has also taken the time to test all improvement parameters like Jake Raby to chime in with his impression. I don't currently have the use for one, but would probably look into one for the next project. At roughly 375% the cost of your average black Empi 36hp shroud, it may be vastly better in cooling, but it will be a tough sell to those with the Wal-Mart mentality.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Wish these were available when I built my 67, it was alot of work to do a t-4 cooler in a t-1 shroud

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

I have to say I am very impressed to see this on the market. Looks very good, though I would love to know the gauge of the metal. I like that you can use stock thermostat flaps with it. Also, something else that would probably sell like hot cakes is the flaps system at a reasonable price!

The lack of provision for the coil nuts is not very attractive though...
The option of no heater elbows is very attractive. No more shroud lifting to remove intakes for us 34 pict crowd.

I was thinking... Seeing that this is possible, imagine a doghouse shroud built to accept an even wider cooling fan than the stock one.... For big engines and busses and to give that type. And to give that type 4 oil cooler more air! Would have to be stock width at the bottom and maybe a quarter inch wider up top and a correspondingly wide fan too... But there may be a market for it! Hell I would probably buy one just to keep around, next to my 7 or 8 carbs 6 distributors fifty million coils...

-Frank
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Concept1 wrote:
VWCOOL wrote:
Nice!

To answer your first question, No. The velocity ring brings in extra air (at higher speed), so it is not necessary.

To answer your second question, No. The tooling would be all new again, and impossible to recover the investment. In reality, if the proper manifolds are used, this shroud will work. Cal-look guys have been using the Thing shroud for centuries, which is the same width as these ones.

I and plenty others really appreciate the 36hp sizing on comp/race motors for easier routing of fuel lines, wiring harnesses etc
It'd be great to see the data from your prototype testing to demonstrate your product's performance improvements, and also your claim 36HP style shrouds are a 'major disadvantage'.
I have ring and non-ring shrouds and haven't seen any discernible differences in engine temps, but I respect that VW would have done it for a reason on its EFI Bugs, the effectiveness may only be apparent in extreme temp conditions. Info would be great!

Last edited by VWCOOL on Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:10 pm; edited 6 times in total
saw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

In the picture of the cooling veins are veins #4 and #7 the same for the heat and no heat shroud? I thought on the Thing shroud these veins were different to deal with the back pressures and turbulence differences of having no heat ducts?

If i remember correctly Jake Raby recommending when blocking off heat ducts to leave a relief hole of a certian size in block off to deal with the issue of throwing off air flow and turbulence when using solid block off?

Just curious about this.

Shrouds look nice.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

k so my 36 doggy style dosent work.,..I thought it was doung just fine. what testing and data does your have that says it's better than mine, or scats,or empis, or vw's or whoo wang chung's?? I seem to remember somebody else making shrouds that said thiers was oh so much better...but there nolonger made..and..they were not any better.as he finally stated and stopped making them. so....$69 or $299. data please !! it's eazy to make a better mouse trap, but if the mouse is dead it's dead.so is it better or just another mouse killer. it does look like a nice peice,but....there are plenty of nice looking peices out there that look nice but ......looks are not everything.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: