Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Release Shaft Operating Lever
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NuggJugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: 71 Release Shaft Operating Lever Reply with quote

Hello,
Yesterday my clutch cable snapped up at the front end, luckily while I was on my street and I was able to get it into the driveway! Well I found another one at a local auto parts warehouse. (car parts warehouse for those in the cleveland area) I got it in yesterday with no problems. The clutch pedal was nice and tight and I drove it around the block to see how it was. Shifting was perfect.

Well i went out for a drive in my bus a few hours later, and was having a hard time getting it into 1st gear, so I backed off the wing nut on the back of the cable. It was still giving me problems shifting, so I took it back home. Now when the bus isn't running I can shift with no problem, but when the bus is running I cant move the shifter at all......

Now do you thing that the return spring could be bad, or could it have moved at all on that shaft from the replacement of the clutch cable? The return lever moves totaly fine when I dont have the cable on it, it even springs back real good. But once i connect the cable and try to adjust the pedal up front, the release shaft operating lever doesnt spring back when you let go of the pedal

I have spent about 7 hours out there today trying to troubleshoot it and its driving me insane. I even took the cable out twice and redid everything to make sure I was doing it right. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? (besides investing in a creeper) Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
canabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: 71 Release Shaft Operating Lever Reply with quote

in our opinion, it sounds like the clutch fork could be bent or broken.they do get weak and break,when we replace ours we fully weld the arms as from the factory they have small tack welds.it is a engine removal job, so check everything possible before this.this happened to our 65 and 71
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: