Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Water boxer wiring connections?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brandwag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:35 am    Post subject: Water boxer wiring connections? Reply with quote

Hi, could someone please tell me where the different coloured wires of the round white plastic connector at the wiring harness and the two adjacent wires connect to, I believe it heads for the dashboard?
Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What are the following items and where do they plumb in?

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Water boxer wiring connections? Reply with quote

the large round metal item with the vacuum port is the decelerator valve for an air cooled motor. it allows some air to bypass the throttle plate when you let off the accelerator (and draw vacuum)
you can see it plumed in this pic http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html

danfromsyr wrote:

7pin round connector in black box on firewall

T7a/1 Blue/Black 0.3 bar oil pressure switch
T7a/2 Yellow/Red coolant temperature
T7a/3 Gray - coolant level
T7a/4 Brown - coolant level
T7a/5 Green Tachometer
T7a/6 Red/Black Starter crank
T7a/7 Yellow 0.9 bar oil pressure switch

Source: http://subaruvanagon.com/tom/Getting%20Started.htm

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brandwag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Water boxer wiring connections? Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your time, it makes things a lot clearer now.
Brandwag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Water boxer wiring connections? Reply with quote

Hi , I am fitting a 1990 waterboxer 2.1i to my T2 late bay , on the wiring harnas , where would I find the wires to the fuel pump , and what colour would it be? I believe there would only be one as the negative runs to ground?
Thanks for any advise ?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Water boxer wiring connections? Reply with quote

Correct, fuel pump runs to ground next to the fuel pump.

The fuel pump wire is mid span across the engine harness by the air filter....... Yellow connector?
Runs from the fuel pump relay on the left firewall.....

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Water boxer wiring connections? Reply with quote

With a 90 2.1 injection harness the fuel pump wiring connector has 2 wires as they stopped using a ground near the pump after 86. So the ground is one of the 2 wires. The other wire shows as red/white, from FP relay to pump.

There are a half dozen different versions of the 2.1 FI harness so unless and until you know which one you have there may be small differences that drive you crazy if you have the wrong wiring diagram.

Mark
Brandwag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Water boxer wiring connections? Reply with quote

Hi, I just about have this wiring harness figured out, however the connector to the hall sensor is missing and the wires have just been cut off . ,have the three wires got a specific place of order or can they be connected at random?

Thanks for the advice?
Etienne
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Water boxer wiring connections? Reply with quote

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
Brandwag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Water boxer wiring connections? Reply with quote

Thanks for the clear diagram Eric , mine was so fuzzy , I didn't even notice the polarity ,I am sorted with this now.
Etienne
Brandwag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Water boxer wiring connections? Reply with quote

Hi All, getting back to my previous question , from the picture danfromsyr posted regarding the wiring from the black box on the firewall, is it right to assume that the only wire nessesary to make the engine run is the black wire from the switched ignition key to power the ECU? All the other wires only give information to the instruments on the dashboard . My T2 Bay only has a stock VDO temperature gauge from the old aircool engine.?
Thanks for all the advise .
Etienne
NotSoSmartMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Water boxer wiring connections? Reply with quote

If I’ve jumped in at the wrong place in this Forum my apologies. It will be abundantly clear I obviously need Help.

I’ve been looking at the 97.150 page for some time now but I’m not that technically gifted.
Where would I add the Green wire from a Bosch Sport II 2-5/8" Tachometer (Black Face) - FST 7906 into the coil circuit?
What I’ve done with no success. Black to Battery, White to Dimmer gauge lights, Red to (Engine On) at back of terminal at front fuse cluster F.
If I use one of the two negative unused wire tab connectors on coil nothing. When I connected it to extra wire tab connector at the coil where the Green wire connects Tach spins all the way around and stays there, no effect with RPMs?

https://www.boschperformance.com/sites/default/files/0002-002-2504.pdf

FYI 1986 Wolfsberg Automatic Weekender This schematic matches best from what I’ve observed in my engine bay.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Water boxer wiring connections? Reply with quote

NotSoSmartMonkey wrote:
If I’ve jumped in at the wrong place in this Forum my apologies. It will be abundantly clear I obviously need Help.

I’ve been looking at the 97.150 page for some time now but I’m not that technically gifted.
Where would I add the Green wire from a Bosch Sport II 2-5/8" Tachometer (Black Face) - FST 7906 into the coil circuit?
What I’ve done with no success. Black to Battery, White to Dimmer gauge lights, Red to (Engine On) at back of terminal at front fuse cluster F.
If I use one of the two negative unused wire tab connectors on coil nothing. When I connected it to extra wire tab connector at the coil where the Green wire connects Tach spins all the way around and stays there, no effect with RPMs?

https://www.boschperformance.com/sites/default/files/0002-002-2504.pdf

FYI 1986 Wolfsberg Automatic Weekender This schematic matches best from what I’ve observed in my engine bay.

It would be perhaps better to copy your post and start a new thread about this just to keep the problems separate. Give it a clear defined title so that it can be found easily when doing a search. Something like "Connecting after-market Tachometer"!
This way the answers will be dedicated to your problem and not have a mixing of the answers to two different problems in the same thread. It's also good forum manners! Just makes life easier all around.
NotSoSmartMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Water boxer wiring connections? Reply with quote

Sure makes sense.
Look for it soon somewhere else.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: